RPCS3 0.0.0.4 running on Windows 7
|Stable release||0.0.0.6 / 11 October 2015|
|Preview release||revision cdf38d1 / 22 July 2015|
|Written in||C++, C|
|Operating system||Windows, OS X, Linux|
|Platform||x86-64 (with SSE4 preferred)|
|Type||Video game console emulator|
RPCS3 is a free and open-source in-development emulator of the Playstation 3 for Windows, OS X and Linux, allowing games to be played and debugged on a PC. As of August 2015, the emulator is capable of playing two commercial games: Sonic CD and Retro City Rampage, and partially playing a number of others.
RPCS3 was created on May 23, 2011 by developers DH & Hykem, initially on Google Code and moving to GitHub in 2013. It was first able to run simple homebrew projects in September 2011, and the first named release, v0.0.0.2, was in June 2012, followed by v0.0.0.4 in August 2013 and v0.0.0.5 in June 2014.
By early 2014, RPCS3 was capable of emulating Arkedo Series - 02 SWAP!, Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice, and some homebrew projects to varying degrees of playability, with bugs and glitches present; these games are notable in that they hardly use the SPU cores at all, making them easier to emulate and a good target for fixing PPU bugs. A few more games have been brought to partial playability in 2015, including How to Train Your Dragon. The emulation suffers from low framerate, in the single-digits even with 8-core PCs, but the developers have worked to reduce the bugs present and have enabled many more games to at least load the title screen and intro. The emulator features little in way of optimizations, but a PPU recompiler has been developed to help with the speed issue.
RPCS3 features a rapid release model, posting weekly builds to their front page.
Cinema Blend's William Usher wrote that "A lot of gamers originally thought that the complexity of the PlayStation 3's Cell architecture would have prevented it from being emulated", but development of RPCS3 shows that emulation is possible.
- Xenia, the first Xbox 360 emulator
- Usher, William (Mar 9, 2014). "PS3 Emulator Can Now Run Commercial Games". Cinema Blend. Retrieved Mar 9, 2014.
- DH (2011-05-23). "rpcs3 r1 on Google Code".
- DH (2011-05-23). "rpcs3 r28 on Google Code".
- DH (2012-06-01). "rpcs3 tag 0.0.0.2".
- DH (2013-08-27). "rpcs3 tag 0.0.0.4".
- DH (2014-06-27). "rpcs3 tag 0.0.0.5".
- Cossu, Elio (Mar 7, 2014). "RPCS3, ecco l'emulatore PS3 per Windows". Eurogamer (in Italian). Retrieved Mar 9, 2014.
- DH (2014-04-29). "recompiler for rpcs3".
- Dante38490 (2015-04-29). "How to Train Your Dragon - [BLES00798]".
- Simons, Hadlee (March 7, 2014). "First PS3 game running on emulator". iAfrica.com (Primedia). Retrieved March 9, 2014.
- gopalsr83 (2014-08-30). "LLVM based PPU Recompiler. Intial commit".