|Chemical and physical data|
|Molar mass||392.453 g/mol|
|3D model (Jmol)|
|(what is this?)|
PF-2545920 is a drug developed by Pfizer for the treatment of schizophrenia. It acts as a phosphodiesterase inhibitor selective for the PDE10A subtype. The PDE10A enzyme is expressed primarily in the brain, mostly in the striatum, nucleus accumbens and olfactory tubercle, and is thought to be particularly important in regulating the activity of dopamine-sensitive medium spiny neurons in the striatum which are known to be targets of conventional antipsychotic drugs. Older PDE10A inhibitors such as papaverine have been shown to produce antipsychotic effects in animal models, and more potent and selective PDE10A inhibitors are a current area of research for novel antipsychotic drugs which act through a different pathway to conventional dopamine or 5-HT2A antagonist drugs and may have a more favourable side effects profile. PF-2545920 is currently one of the furthest advanced PDE10A inhibitors in development and has progressed through to Phase II clinical trials in humans.
- Verhoest, PR; Chapin, DS; Corman, M; Fonseca, K; Harms, JF; Hou, X; Marr, ES; Menniti, FS; Nelson, F; O'Connor, R; Pandit, J; Proulx-Lafrance, C; Schmidt, AW; Schmidt, CJ; Suiciak, JA; Liras, S (27 August 2009). "Discovery of a Novel Class of Phosphodiesterase 10A Inhibitors and Identification of Clinical Candidate 2-[4-(1-Methyl-4-pyridin-4-yl-1H-pyrazol-3-yl)-phenoxymethyl]-quinoline (PF-2545920) for the Treatment of Schizophrenia". Journal of Medicinal Chemistry. 52 (16): 5188–96. doi:10.1021/jm900521k. PMID 19630403.
- CA 2673435 C, Vorhoest, Patrick Robert & Caroline Proulx, "Succinate salt of 2-((4-(1-methyl-4-(pyridin-4-yl)-1H-pyrazol-3-yl) phenoxy)methyl)quinoline", published 2008-07-17
- Siuciak, JA; Chapin, DS; Harms, JF; Lebel, LA; McCarthy, SA; Chambers, L; Shrikhande, A; Wong, S; Menniti, FS; Schmidt, CJ (August 2006). "Inhibition of the Striatum-Enriched Phosphodiesterase PDE10A: a Novel Approach to the Treatment of Psychosis". Neuropharmacology. 51 (2): 386–96. doi:10.1016/j.neuropharm.2006.04.013. PMID 16780899.
- Schmidt, CJ; Chapin, DS; Cianfrogna, J; Corman, ML; Hajos, M; Harms, JF; Hoffman, WE; Lebel, LA; McCarthy, SA; Nelson, FR; Proulx-LaFrance, C; Majchrzak, MJ; Ramirez, AD; Schmidt, K; Seymour, PA; Siuciak, JA; Tingley FD, 3rd; Williams, RD; Verhoest, PR; Menniti, FS (May 2008). "Preclinical Characterization of Selective Phosphodiesterase 10A Inhibitors: a New Therapeutic Approach to the Treatment of Schizophrenia" (PDF). The Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics. 325 (2): 681–90. doi:10.1124/jpet.107.132910. PMID 18287214.
- Drahl, C (15 September 2008). "Rethinking Schizophrenia". Chemical & Engineering News. 86 (37): 38–40. doi:10.1021/cen-v086n037.p038.