Pacem in Terris Award
This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (January 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Pacem in Terris Peace and Freedom Award is a Catholic peace award which has been given annually since 1964, in commemoration of the 1963 encyclical letter Pacem in terris (Peace on Earth) of Pope John XXIII. It is awarded "to honor a person for their achievements in peace and justice, not only in their country but in the world."
The award was begun in 1963 by the Davenport Catholic Interracial Council of the Diocese of Davenport in the U.S. state of Iowa. Since 1976, the award has been presented each year by the Quad Cities Pacem in Terris Coalition. In 2010, sponsors of the award were the Diocese of Davenport, St. Ambrose University, Augustana College, Churches United of the Quad-Cities, Pax Christi, The Catholic Messenger, the Congregation of the Humility of Mary, the Sisters of St. Benedict, the Muslim Community of the Quad Cities, and the Sisters of St. Francis.
The following are the recipients:
- 1964 John Howard Griffin and John F. Kennedy (posthumously)
- 1965 Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.
- 1966 R. Sargent Shriver
- 1967 A. Philip Randolph
- 1968 Father James Groppi
- 1969 Saul Alinsky
- 1972 Dorothy Day, S.D.
- 1974 Senator Harold Hughes
- 1975 Dom Hélder Câmara, S.D.
- 1976 Saint Teresa of Calcutta
- 1979 Bishop Thomas Gumbleton
- 1980 Crystal Lee Sutton
- 1980 Bishop Ernest Leo Unterkoefler
- 1982 George F. Kennan
- 1983 Helen Caldicott
- 1985 Cardinal Joseph Bernardin
- 1986 Bishop Maurice John Dingman
- 1987 Archbishop Desmond Tutu
- 1989 Eileen Egan
- 1990 Mairead Corrigan Maguire
- 1991 María Julia Hernández
- 1992 Cesar Chavez
- 1993 Father Daniel Berrigan
- 1995 Jim Wallis
- 1996 Bishop Samuel Ruiz García
- 1997 Jim Douglass and Shelley Douglass
- 1998 Sister Helen Prejean, CSJ
- 1999 Adolfo Pérez Esquivel
- 2000 Monsignor George G. Higgins
- 2001 Lech Wałęsa
- 2002 Sisters Gwen Hennessey and Dorothy Hennessey, OSF
- 2004 Rev. Arthur Simon
- 2005 Donald Mosley
- 2007 Bishop Salim Ghazal 
- 2008 Monsignor Marvin Mottet
- 2009 Hildegard Goss-Mayr
- 2010 Father John Dear
- 2011 Bishop Álvaro Leonel Ramazzini Imeri
- 2012 Kim Bobo
- 2013 Jean Vanier
- 2014 Sister Simone Campbell, S.S.S.
- 2015 Thích Nhất Hạnh 
- 2016 Gustavo Gutiérrez
- 2017 Dr. Widad Akreyi
- "Pacem In Terris (Peace On Earth) Award Recipients". Diocese of Davenport. Archived from the original on July 25, 2011. Retrieved June 1, 2011.
- "Pacem In Terris". Diocese of Davenport. Archived from the original on May 12, 2008. Retrieved June 1, 2011.
- The Catholic Newspaper of the Diocese of Davenport
- Martin Luther King, Jr., Mother Teresa, Archbishop Desmond Tutu, Mairead Corrigan Maguire, Adolfo Pérez Esquivel, and Lech Wałęsa
- "Thich Nhat Hanh named Pacem in Terris winner". The Catholic Messenger (Davenport, IA). Retrieved October 27, 2015.