|Place of origin||United States|
|Part of a series on|
Pan pizza is a pizza baked in a deep dish pan or sheet pan. Turin-style pizza, Italian tomato pie, Sicilian pizza, Chicago-style pizza and Detroit-style pizza may be considered forms of pan pizza. Pan pizza also refers to the thick style popularized by Pizza Hut in the 1960s. The bottoms and sides of the crust become fried and crispy in the oil used to coat the pan.
Dan and Frank Carney opened a pizza parlor in Wichita, Kansas which would later become Pizza Hut. At first, the brothers focused on a thin crust pizza which included cheese, pepperoni, and/or sausage. The pizza parlor franchised into Pizza Hut in 1959 and added a thicker crust pan pizza.
Other pizza companies also later included pan pizza. In 1989, Domino's Pizza introduced its deep dish or pan pizza. Its introduction followed market research showing that 40% of pizza customers preferred thick crusts. The new product launch cost approximately $25 million, of which $15 million was spent on new sheet metal pans with perforated bottoms.
- López-Alt, James Kenji. "Foolproof Pan Pizza". The Pizza Lab. Serious Eats. Retrieved December 29, 2017.
- Robert Spector (September 7, 2010). The Mom & Pop Store: True Stories from the Heart of America. Bloomsbury Publishing. pp. 225–. ISBN 978-0-8027-7911-3.
- "Padellini d'Italia unitevi! L'irresistibile ascesa della pizza nata a Torino". la Repubblica (in Italian). May 3, 2023. Retrieved September 12, 2023.
- Canino, Francesco (April 3, 2014). "Pizza al tegaminio: riscoperta della tradizione torinese". Agrodolce (in Italian). Retrieved September 12, 2023.
- Andrew F. Smith (October 28, 2013). Food and Drink in American History: A "Full Course" Encyclopedia [3 Volumes]: A "Full Course" Encyclopedia. ABC-CLIO. pp. 679–. ISBN 978-1-61069-233-5.
- Andrew F. Smith (December 2, 2011). Fast Food and Junk Food: An Encyclopedia of What We Love to Eat [2 volumes]: An Encyclopedia of What We Love to Eat. ABC-CLIO. pp. 555–. ISBN 978-0-313-39394-5.
- Rick Telberg (May 15, 1989). "Domino's Pizza deep-dishes it out". Nation's Restaurant News.
- "Capo's". Restaurant Review. Condé Nast Traveler. Retrieved January 1, 2022.
- Olmsted, Larry (March 9, 2017). "San Francisco pizza master perfects deep dish". USA TODAY. Retrieved January 1, 2022.