Pavel Zelenoy was born into a noble family of captain-lieutenant Alexey Nikolaevich Zelenoy. He graduated from the Naval Cadets Corps in 1851. Zelenoy circumnavigated the globe twice - on board frigate "Pallada" in 1852-1854 and on board frigate "Diana" in 1855. In 1854 was promoted to the rank of lieutenant, in 1856-1860 served on board frigate "Askold". 1860-1865 commanded the brig "Almaz", 1866-1869 commanded the corvette "Vityaz". Retired in 1870 and served on commercial vessels. Participant of the Russo-Turkish War (1877–1878), Zelenoy commanded a squadron of minelayers and was in charge for the transfer of Russian troops from the seaports of the Sea of Marmara to Russia. In 1882 was promoted to the rank of rear-admiral.
In 1882-1885 - Governor of Taganrog, in 1885-1898 - Governor of Odessa, since 1898 - honorary trustee of the board of trustees of Empress Maria's foundations. In 1891 promoted to the rank of lieutenant-general at the Admiralty. In 1902 promoted to the rank of admiral.
Married to Natalia Mikhailovna Verkhovskaya (1842-1901).
- Order of St. Anna of 1st degree
- Order of Saint Stanislaus of 1st degree
- Order of Saint Vladimir of 2nd degree
- Order of the Dannebrog (Denmark)
- Order of the Lion and the Sun (Persia)
- Commander Cross to the Order of Christ (Portugal)
- Commander Cross to the Order of the Redeemer (Greece)
- Order of the Seal of Solomon (Ethiopia)
- Order of St. Sava (Serbia)
- Order of the Cross of Takovo (Serbia)
|Governors of Taganrog
|This biography of a Russian noble is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|