Pennington railway station
|Original company||Kenyon and Leigh Junction Railway|
|Pre-grouping||London and North Western Railway|
|Post-grouping||London Midland and Scottish Railway|
|11 June 1831||Station opened as Bradshaw Leach|
|1 February 1877||Renamed Pennington|
|29 March 1954||Station closed|
|Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom|
|Closed railway stations in Britain
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
|UK Railways portal|
Pennington Station was built when the Bolton and Leigh Railway, which reached the Leeds and Liverpool Canal in Leigh in 1830, was extended to meet the Liverpool and Manchester Railway at Kenyon in 1831. In 1864 the station became a junction when the Tyldesley Loopline from Tyldesley and Leigh and Bedford, built by the London and North Western Railway, joined the Kenyon and Leigh line just to the north of Bradshaw Leach Station. The station was renamed Pennington Station in 1877. Another line via Plank Lane to Platt Bridge and Wigan NW opened in 1885 creating a three way junction.
Stations on the line became part of the London Midland and Scottish Railway in 1923, the London Midland Region of British Railways on nationalisation in 1948, and were closed by the British Transport Commission six years later in 1954 when the line to Bolton Great Moor Street Station closed. Passenger services on the Tyldesley Loopline did not stop at Pennington but all stations and the line closed following the Beeching Axe on 5 May 1969.
The line of the trackbed of the Bolton and Leigh Railway was used as the route of the A579 Leigh Bypass.
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-508-7. OCLC 60251199.
- James, David (2004), Lancashire's Lost Railways, Catrine: Stenlake Publishing, ISBN 978-1-84033-288-9
- Smith, Paul; Turner, Keith (2012), Railway Atlas Then and Now, Ian Allan Publishing, ISBN 978-0-7110-3695-6
- Suggitt, Gordon (2004). Lost Railways of Merseyside and Greater Manchester. Newbury: Countryside Books. ISBN 978-1-85306-869-0.
- Sweeney, D. J. (1996), A Lancashire Triangle Part One, Leigh: Triangle Publishing, ISBN 978-0-9529333-0-4
- Sweeney, Dennis (2015), A Lancashire Triangle Revisited, Leigh: Triangle Publishing, ISBN 978-0-9550030-7-3
- Holland, Bert (2001), Plodder Lane for Farnworth, Leigh: Triangle Publishing, ISBN 978-0-9529333-6-6
- "The station on a 1948 OS map". npe maps.
- "The station on an 1845 series OS map". National Library of Scotland.
- "The station on an 1888 series OS map overlay". National Library of Scotland.
- "The station and line". railwaycodes.
|Preceding station||Historical railways||Following station|
|Kenyon Junction||London and North Western Railway||Plank Lane|
|Kenyon and Leigh Junction Railway||Westleigh|
|London and North Western Railway||Leigh|