|Location||North Avenue, between
Gavett Place and Watchung Avenue
Plainfield, New Jersey
|Owned by||New Jersey Transit|
|Platforms||2 side platforms|
|Connections|| NJT Bus: 59, 65, 66, 113, 114, 819, 822, and 986
(all buses except 986 on Watchung Avenue)
|Bicycle facilities||Yes; bike racks|
|Passengers (2012)||893 (average weekday)|
Plainfield Station, 1907
|Location||North Avenue, Plainfield, New Jersey|
|Area||3.5 acres (1.4 ha)|
|MPS||Operating Passenger Railroad Stations TR|
|NRHP Reference #||84002837|
|Added to NRHP||June 22, 1984|
Plainfield is a New Jersey Transit railroad station on the Raritan Valley Line, in Plainfield, Union County, New Jersey, United States. One of two train stations in Plainfield, this station serves the central part of the city. The ticket office and waiting area are in the south side station house (the eastbound platform). It was the westernmost station on the line with ADA accessibility, until Somerville's new high-level platforms were opened on December 7, 2010.
Plainfield Station was originally built by Bradford L. Gilbert and Joseph Osgood for the Central Railroad of New Jersey in 1902. As with the rest of the CNJ, the station was subsidized by the New Jersey Department of Transportation in 1964 and absorbed into Conrail in 1976. The station is one of the two surviving CNJ stations in Plainfield (the other being Netherwood Station), whereas the community previously had five; the other three being at Grant Avenue, Clinton Avenue, and another station named Evona. It been listed in the state and federal registers of historic places since 1984 and along with Netherwood is part of the Operating Passenger Railroad Stations Thematic Resource. The station underwent a reconstruction project in 2010 and kept its listing.
- List of New Jersey Transit stations
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Union County, New Jersey
- "Raritan Valley Line Timetables" (PDF). Newark, New Jersey: New Jersey Transit Rail Operations. November 7, 2010. Retrieved November 27, 2010.
- Bernhart, Benjamin L. (2004). Historic Journeys By Rail: Central Railroad of New Jersey Stations, Structures & Marine Equipment. Outer Station Project. p. 61. ISBN 1891402072.
- "QUARTERLY RIDERSHIP TRENDS ANALYSIS". New Jersey Transit. Archived from the original (PDF) on December 27, 2012. Retrieved December 31, 2012.
- National Park Service (2010-07-09). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "Somerville Station: New High-Level Platforms Open Tuesday, December 7". Newark, New Jersey: New Jersey Transit Rail Operations. December 2010. Retrieved 7 December 2010.
- Plainfield New Jersey Transit Railroad Station Survey
- "New Jersey and National Registers of Historic Places". New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection - Historic Preservation Office. Retrieved 7 January 2015.
Media related to Plainfield (NJT station) at Wikimedia Commons