Prince of Persia 3D
|Prince of Persia 3D|
Red Orb Entertainment (PC)|
Avalanche Software (Dreamcast)
Red Orb Entertainment (PC)|
Mattel Interactive (Dreamcast)
|Series||Prince of Persia|
Prince of Persia 3D is an action-adventure video game, developed and published by Red Orb Entertainment for Microsoft Windows, is the third game in the Prince of Persia series. The game debuted in 1999, 10 years after the original, and incorporated 3D graphics in its gameplay.
In 2000, a Sega Dreamcast version under the name Prince of Persia: Arabian Nights was developed by Avalanche Software and published by Mattel Interactive, which had previously purchased both Red Orb Entertainment and The Learning Company. Many of the control flaws from the original PC version were corrected and other notable bugs were fixed, improving the gameplay of this port, although it still suffers the same camera problems. This version was only released in North America.
Prince of Persia 3D begins with the Prince and Sultan of Persia visiting the Sultan's brother, Assan. Soon enough, the Prince's personal bodyguards are killed, himself locked in the dungeon, and the Sultan taken by Assan. The Prince escapes the dungeon, and it is revealed that the Sultan of Persia promised Assan many years ago that his daughter would marry Assan's son, Rugnor, not the Prince. The Prince finds the two, but Assan kills the Sultan by mistake, while trying to kill the Prince. Assan runs, but the Prince decides to pursue Rugnor, who has taken the Princess of Persia captive. The Prince and Rugnor have many standoffs, but when it becomes clear to Rugnor that the Prince won't give up, and the Princess won't submit to him, he decides to kill her. He ties her to a large gear machine, attempting to crush her. The Prince, however, arrives before this happens, kills Rugnor, and deactivates the machine. The Prince then escapes with the Princess, via a flying beast, but the Prince takes the Princess in the opposite direction of Persia, rather than towards it.
It was released by Red Orb, which was hived off from Brøderbund. However, due to financial difficulties, Red Orb was forced to release the game before it had gone through the bug detection and correction stage. Moreover, it was sold and re-sold first to Mattel, then to The Learning Company.
Prince of Persia 3D and Arabian Nights garnered mixed reviews from critics. GameRankings and Metacritic gave it a score of 64% for the PC version, and 61% and 58 out of 100 for the Dreamcast version.
IGN gave the PC version 8.2 out of 10, praising its unique score, fluid animations and well made graphics, and the jumping mechanics. GameSpot gave the same version 6 out of 10, criticizing rough character models, difficult camera effects, and unresponsive controls, but praising the action.
- Prince of Persia Legacy: poplegacy.com
- Rus McLaughlin; Scott Collura; Levi Buchanan (2010-05-18). "IGN Presents: The History of Prince of Persia (Page 2)". IGN. Retrieved 2014-04-29.
- Jon Thompson. "Prince of Persia: Arabian Nights - Review". AllGame. Archived from the original on 2014-11-14. Retrieved 2014-11-25.
- Michael L. House. "Prince of Persia 3D - Review". AllGame. Archived from the original on 2014-11-15. Retrieved 2014-11-25.
- Kim Randell (1999). "PC Review: Prince of Persia 3D". Computer and Video Games. Archived from the original on 2007-06-24. Retrieved 2014-04-30.
- Edge staff (December 1999). "Prince of Persia 3D". Edge (78).
- EGM Staff (March 2001). "Prince of Persia: Arabian Nights (DC)". Electronic Gaming Monthly. Archived from the original on 2001-03-09. Retrieved 2014-04-30.
- Peter Olafson (1999-10-20). "Prince of Persia 3D Review for PC on GamePro.com". GamePro. Archived from the original on 2004-06-25. Retrieved 2014-04-29.
- Johnny Liu (October 1999). "Prince of Persia [3D] - PC". Game Revolution. Archived from the original on 2007-08-24. Retrieved 2014-04-29.
- Ron Dulin (1999-09-17). "Prince of Persia 3D Review". GameSpot. Retrieved 2014-04-29.
- Jamie Madigan (1999-10-04). "Prince of Persia 3D". GameSpy. Archived from the original on 2002-06-11. Retrieved 2014-04-29.
- Jeremy Dunham (2000-12-20). "Arabian Nights: Prince of Persia [sic]". IGN. Retrieved 2014-04-29.
- Trent C. Ward (1999-09-24). "Prince of Persia 3D". IGN. Retrieved 2014-04-29.
- Stephen Poole (December 1999). "Prince of Persia 3D". PC Gamer. Archived from the original on 2005-04-19. Retrieved 2014-04-29.
- Keith Pullin (1999). "PC Review: Prince Of Persia 3D". PC Zone. Archived from the original on 2007-06-24. Retrieved 2014-04-30.
- "Prince of Persia: Arabian Nights for Dreamcast". GameRankings. Retrieved 2014-04-29.
- "Prince of Persia 3D for PC". GameRankings. Retrieved 2014-04-29.
- "Prince of Persia: Arabian Nights for Dreamcast Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved 2014-04-29.