Punisher in other media
|Adaptations of Punisher in other media|
|Created by||Gerry Conway
John Romita, Sr.
|Original source||Comics published by Marvel Comics|
|First appearance||The Amazing Spider-Man #129 (February 1974)|
|Novel(s)||The Punisher (2004)|
|Reference book(s)||The Punisher: Prima's Official Game Guide
Punisher: L'histoire secrète
|Films and television|
|Film(s)||The Punisher (1989)
The Punisher (2004)
Punisher: War Zone (2008)
Avengers Confidential: Black Widow & Punisher (2014)
|The Punisher (2017)|
|Soundtrack(s)||The Punisher (1989)
The Punisher: The Album (2004)
Original Score from the Motion Picture The Punisher (2004)
Punisher: War Zone Original Motion Picture Soundtrack (2008)
Punisher: War Zone Original Motion Picture Score (2008)
|Video game(s)||The Punisher (console) (1990)
The Punisher (computer) (1990)
The Punisher: The Ultimate Payback! (1991)
The Punisher (1993)
The Punisher (2005)
The Punisher: No Mercy (2009)
The comic book character the Punisher has appeared in many types of media. Since his first appearance in 1974, he has appeared in television, films, and video games, each on multiple occasions; and his name, symbol, and image have appeared on products and merchandise.
- Punisher made three appearances in the 1990s Spider-Man: The Animated Series, voiced by John Beck. He first appears in the seventh and eighth episodes of the second season, and later appears in the eighth episode of season four. Due to the requirements for children's programming, Punisher was restricted to using non-lethal weapons which took the form of concussion blast energy weapons or gimmick guns such as electrified net launchers. The death of his family was portrayed off-screen by showing a kite flying, and then falling, at the sound of gunshots.
- In the 1992 X-Men animated series episode "Days of Future Past, Part 1", two children are seen holding a video game cartridge called Assassin, with the Punisher on the cover of the video game. The game was produced by "Marbles", a play on "Marvel". A robot duplicate of the Punisher also appeared in the season two episode entitled "Mojovision", attacking Wolverine and Jean Grey.
- In Iron Man: Armored Adventures, in the episode "The Hammer Falls", the Punisher is mentioned by Pepper Potts as a vigilante hit-man.
- The Punisher appears in The Super Hero Squad Show episode "Night in the Sanctorum" voiced by Ray Stevenson, who reprises his role in Punisher: War Zone.
- In The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes micro-episode "Enter the Whirlwind", the Punisher is mentioned by a taxi driver who is reading a newspaper article that states "Vigilante 'Punishes' Again" and a photograph of the Punisher's skull logo.
- The Punisher makes a cameo appearance in the episode "Planet Doom" of the Avengers Assemble series.
- According to Variety, Fox was developing the Punisher as an hour long TV series but it was cancelled in 2012.
- Jon Bernthal plays Frank Castle / Punisher in the second season of Marvel Television's Daredevil, set within the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It is the debut appearance of the character in the MCU.
- In an interview with SciFiNow, Daredevil's showrunner Steven DeKnight revealed his desire to do an R-rated Punisher series for Netflix. In January 2016, Netflix was revealed to be planning a Punisher television series starring Bernthal. The Punisher was officially ordered by Netflix on the April 29, 2016, with Jon Bernthal reprising his role and Steve Lightfoot as showrunner.
- The Punisher (1989 film), live-action film produced by Live Entertainment.
- The Punisher (2004 film), live-action film produced by Marvel Enterprises and Valhalla Motion Pictures.
- Punisher: War Zone, live-action film produced by Marvel Knights and Valhalla Motion Pictures.
- Avengers Confidential: Black Widow & Punisher, animated film produced by Madhouse.
- The Punisher also appear in the animated film Iron Man: Rise of Technovore, also produced by Madhouse.
- The Punisher (1990 video game)
- The Punisher (1990 computer game)
- The Punisher: The Ultimate Payback!
- The Punisher (1993 video game)
- The Punisher (2005 video game)
- The Punisher: No Mercy
The Punisher appeared in The Amazing Spider-Man comic strip in 2004.
- In 2004 the Punisher film form that year was novelized.
- The Punisher appears in the prose novel adaptation of the event comic Civil War.
- "Mojovision Review". Marvel Toonzone. Retrieved 2007-05-28.
- "Marvel Super Hero Squad Voice Cast". Comics Continuum. July 28, 2009. Retrieved 2010-09-13.
- "Planet Doom". Avengers Assemble. Season 1. Episode 15. December 8, 2013. Disney XD.
- Wallenstein, Andrew (2011-10-20). "ABC Studios sells scripts tapping music and Marvel". Variety.
- Chitwood, Adam (15 May 2012). "Hulk May Be on ABC Next Year; The Punisher TV Series Not Moving Forward at Fox". Collider.com. Retrieved 24 July 2015.
- "Jon Bernthal Cast as Frank Castle in the Netflix Original Series 'Marvel's Daredevil'". Marvel.com. June 9, 2015. Archived from the original on June 9, 2015. Retrieved June 9, 2015.
- Wright, Steven (April 1, 2015). "DAREDEVIL COULD SPIN OFF INTO "HARD R" PUNISHER REBOOT". Sci Fi Now.
- Ausiello, Michael (January 16, 2016). "Punisher Spinoff Starring Jon Bernthal in Development at Netflix". TVLine. Archived from the original on January 16, 2016. Retrieved January 16, 2016.
- Hibberd, James (April 29, 2016). "Marvel's The Punisher spin-off ordered by Netflix". Entertainment Weekly. Archived from the original on April 29, 2016. Retrieved April 29, 2016.
- Rey, Del (January 12, 2004). "Punisher Novelization Author Picked". Superhero Hype.
- Moore, Stuart (March 15, 2016). Civil War Illustrated Prose Novel. Marvel. ISBN 978-0785195863 – via Google Books.