Queens County, Prince Edward Island
Location of Queens County in Prince Edward Island.
|Incorporated Towns & Municipalities||Charlottetown (city), Cornwall (town), North Rustico (town), Stratford (town)|
|Parishes||Greenville Parish, Hillsboro Parish, Charlotte Parish, Bedford Parish, St. John's Parish, St. Patrick's Parish|
|Townships and royalties|
|• Total||2,020.17 km2 (779.99 sq mi)|
|• Density||39/km2 (100/sq mi)|
Queens County is located in central Prince Edward Island, Canada. The county is geographically divided by the Hillsborough River's estuary, a tidal inlet which almost splits the county and Prince Edward Island. It is the richest and most populous county in the province of Prince Edward Island.
The county's geography varies from picturesque shorelines of sandstone cliffs, sandy beaches and sheltered bays on the Gulf of St. Lawrence and Northumberland Strait, to extensive farming operations throughout interior regions. Topography ranges from relatively flat to rolling hills in the central hill lands known as the Bonshaw Hills.
The county was named by Captain Samuel Holland in 1765 for Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, then queen consort of the United Kingdom. As such, Queens County's county seat is Charlottetown, which was also chosen as the colonial capital because of its central location.
Today, urban sprawl extending from Charlottetown in the centre of the county is the region's most dominant feature; many rural parts of the county within the Charlottetown census agglomeration, and outside, are facing increased pressures to subdivide and develop into suburbs and exurbs.
- Clyde River
- Grand Tracadie
- Hunter River
- Miltonvale Park
- Mount Stewart
- New Haven-Riverdale
- North Shore
- North Wiltshire
- Pleasant Grove
- Resort Municipality of Stanley Bridge, Hope River, Bayview, Cavendish, and North Rustico
- Union Road
- Warren Grove
- West River
- Winsloe South
- Unincorporated Communities
- "Census Profile - Queens, CTY, Prince Edward Island (Census division)". Canada 2011 Census. Statistics Canada. 2011. Retrieved 24 June 2014.
- "Census Profile - Queens County, Prince Edward Island (Census Division)". Canada 2006 census. Statistics Canada. 2006. Retrieved 24 June 2014.
- "Community profile - Queens County, Prince Edward Island (County)". Canada 2001 Census. Statistics Canada. 2001. Retrieved 24 June 2014.
- "Electronic Area Profiles - Queens County, Prince Edward Island". Canada 1996 Census. Statistics Canada. 1996. Retrieved 24 June 2014.