The original station was closed in 1945.
In the 1950s-60s a new camp appeared under the name RAF Newmarket on the Dullingham Road. This was a Communications Unit under RAF Signals Command and contained Eastern Communications Centre (Commcen Eastern) and North Eastern Communications Centre (Commcen North East) and staffed mainly by National Service and Regular Personnel. The administration of this camp was from RAF Waterbeach. This was a relay station handling signals traffic between all RAF bases in the Eastern and North Eastern areas.
Squadrons and units
- No. 2 Squadron RAF detachment (1943) - North American Mustang I.
- No. 75 (New Zealand) Squadron RAF (1942-1943) - Short Stirling I & III.
- No. 99 Squadron RAF (1939-1941) - Vickers Wellington I, IA & IC.
- No. 107 Squadron RAF detachment (1939-1941) - Bristol Blenheim I & IV.
- No. 138 Squadron RAF (1941) - Westland Lysander IIIA & Armstrong Whitworth Whitley V.
- No. 161 Squadron RAF (1942) - Westland Lysander IIIA, Lockheed Hudson I & Armstrong Whitworth Whitley V.
- No. 453 Squadron RAAF (1943 for one week) - Supermarine Spitfire VB.
The following units were also here at some point:
- No. 3 Group Communications Flight RAF
- No. 3 Group Training Flight RAF
- No. 22 Heavy Glider Maintenance Section RAF
- No. 54 Maintenance Unit RAF
- No. 1483 (Bomber) Gunnery Flight RAF, later also Target Towing
- No. 1504 (Beam Approach Training) Flight RAF
- No. 1688 (Bomber) Defence Training Flight RAF
- Air Bomber Training Flight RAF (No. 3 Group)
- Airborne Forces Experimental Establishment
- Night Vision Training School RAF
- Radar Training Flight RAF
- "Newmarket Timeline". Newmarket Racecourses. Retrieved 21 June 2012.
- "RAF Museum exhibit Gloster Meteor DG202/G" (PDF).
- "Bomber Bases_P".
- RAFWeb.org, Newmarket, accessed January 2021.
- Jefford 2001, p. 23.
- Jefford 2001, p. 48.
- Jefford 2001, p. 53.
- Jefford 2001, p. 55.
- Jefford 2001, p. 60.
- Jefford 2001, p. 64.
- Jefford 2001, p. 93.
- "Newmarket Heath (Rowley Mile)". Airfields of Britain Conservation Trust. Retrieved 10 February 2016.
- Jefford, C.G. RAF Squadrons, a Comprehensive Record of the Movement and Equipment of all RAF Squadrons and their Antecedents since 1912. Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing, 2001. ISBN 1-84037-141-2.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to RAF Newmarket.|