Cover art by Shusei Nagaoka
|Studio album by Earth, Wind & Fire|
|Released||November 14, 1981|
|Studio||ARC/George Massenburg Studio, West Los Angeles, CA
Sunset Sounds Recording Studio, Hollywood, CA
|Genre||R&B, soul, funk, post-disco|
|Earth, Wind & Fire chronology|
|Singles from Raise!|
The back cover of Raise!
Raise! is the eleventh studio album by Earth, Wind & Fire, Released on November 14, 1981 by CBS Records (now Sony Music), it was produced by the band's leader Maurice White for Kalimba Productions. Raise! has been certified platinum in the US by the RIAA for sales of over a million copies and gold in the UK and Canada by the British Phonographic Industry and Music Canada respectively.
Raise! was the bestselling R&B album of 1982. The album featured the #1 R&B and # 3 Pop hit "Let's Groove". The single "Wanna Be With You" won EWF a Grammy for Best R&B Vocal Performance By A Duo Or Group. Raise! also marked the return to the band of guitarist Roland Bautista, last heard from on 1972's Last Days and Time.
Raise! would be the final EWF album to be released on their vanity label ARC. The label would be discontinued by Columbia Records the following year.
The album art was designed by Roger Carpenter and Raise! was illustrated by Shusei Nagaoka. The front cover of Raise! features a presumed Egyptian female figure. The name of the band is present on the front cover, but the title is not.
On the back cover there is an illustration of a female figure in a sarcophagus, which is also divided into a purple left side and a blue right side. The sarcophagus appears to be hyper-modern. The title of the album is presented in the top left corner of the back cover.
Ken Tucker of Rolling Stone describes Raise! as a reflection of "street-gritty black pop" and that on "Let's Groove" and the fast, cutting "Lady Sun", the horn section screams like a car running a red light". Music critic Robert Christgau says that on the album, he felt "a show of strength was due".
|1.||"Let's Groove"||Wayne Vaughn, Maurice White||5:37|
|2.||"Lady Sun"||Bernard “Beloyd” Taylor||3:39|
|3.||"My Love"||W. Vaughn, M. White||4:35|
|4.||"Evolution Orange"||David Foster, Nan O'Byrne, M. White||4:37|
|5.||"Kalimba Tree"||M. White, Verdine White, Jerry Hey||0:25|
|6.||"You Are a Winner"||Beloyd Taylor||4:09|
|7.||"I've Had Enough"||Philip Bailey, Greg Phillinganes, Brenda Russell||4:36|
|8.||"Wanna Be With You"||W. Vaughn, M. White||4:36|
|9.||"The Changing Times"||B. Taylor, W. Vaughn, M. White||5:54|
|2015 Expanded Version Bonus Tracks|
|10.||"Wanna Be With You" (Single Version)||Wayne Vaughn, Maurice White||3:58|
|11.||"Kalimba Tree" (12" Long Version)||Jerry Hey, M. White||3:49|
|12.||"Let's Groove" (Special Remixed Holiday Version)||W. Vaughn, M. White||6:44|
|13.||"Let's Groove" (Single Version)||W. Vaughn, M. White||4:07|
|14.||"Let's Groove" (Instrumental)||W. Vaughn, M. White||4:01|
|15.||"I've Had Enough" (7" Version)||Philip Bailey, Greg Phillinganes, Brenda Russell||3:53|
|16.||"The Changing Times" (7" Version)||Beloyd Taylor||4:45|
- Philip Bailey – co-producer (7)
- Tony Calvert - reissue producer
- Roger Carpenter - art direction, design
- Larry Dunn – production assistant
- David Foster – string arrangements (4)
- Ken Fowler – recording engineer (basic tracks)
- Mick Guzauski – recording engineer (horn and string overdubs), audio mixing
- Jerry Hey- horn arrangements (2, 4, 6, 8–9)
- Stephen McManus – assistant engineer (basic tracks)
- Billy Meyers – horn arrangements, string arrangements (1, 3, 7)
- Shusei Nagaoka – illustration
- Ron Pendragon – recording engineer (basic tracks)
- Tom Perry – recording engineer (vocal overdubs), audio mixing
- Maurice White – original recording producer
- Verdine White – production assistant
|1981||"Let's Groove/I've Had Enough"||Club Play Singles||3|
|"Let's Groove"||Black Singles||1|
|"Wanna Be With You"||Black Singles||15|
The information regarding accolades attributed to Raise! is adapted from rocklistmusic.co.uk.
|NME||U.K||Albums of the Year||1981||16|
- List of number-one R&B albums of 1981 (U.S.)
- List of number-one R&B albums of 1982 (U.S.)
- Billboard Year-End
- RIAA Certification for Raise! Archived 16 October 2015 at the Wayback Machine.
- "BPI Certification for Earth, Wind & Fire: Raise!". British Phonographic Industry.
- "Music Canada Certification for Earth, Wind & Fire". Music Canada.com.
- Billboard Top R&B/Hip Hop Albums of 1982
- www.earthwindandfire.com/bio_awards.html Archived 2009-03-07 at the Wayback Machine.
- Allmusic review
- Rolling Stone review
- "Earth, Wind & Fire Raise! album review". rollingstone.com. February 4, 1982. Retrieved May 4, 2009.
- "Consumer Guide Album Earth, Wind & Fire: Raise!". robertchristgau.com. 1981. Retrieved May 4, 2009.
- Earth, Wind & Fire. “Raise!” ARC / Columbia. 1981.
- Earth, Wind & Fire. “Raise!(Expanded Edition)”. Funky Town Grooves / Columbia / Sony Music. 2015.
- "Earth, Wind & Fire: Raise Deluxe Edition". Amazon.com.
- "Raise!". chartstats.com. Archived from the original on January 19, 2013. Retrieved May 24, 2009.
- rocklistmusic – 1981 NME Lists