Cover art by Shusei Nagaoka
|Studio album by Earth, Wind & Fire|
|Released||November 14, 1981|
|Studio||ARC/George Massenburg Studio, West Los Angeles, CA
Sunset Sounds Recording Studio, Hollywood, CA
|Genre||R&B, soul, funk|
|Earth, Wind & Fire chronology|
|Singles from Raise!|
The back cover of Raise!
Raise! is the eleventh studio album by Earth, Wind & Fire, Released on November 14, 1981 by CBS Records, it was produced by the band's leader Maurice White for Kalimba Productions. Raise! has been certified platinum in the US by the RIAA for sales of over a million copies and gold in the UK and Canada by the British Phonographic Industry and Music Canada respectively.
Raise! was the bestselling R&B album of 1982. The album featured the #1 R&B and # 3 Pop hit "Let's Groove". The single "Wanna Be With You" won EWF a Grammy for Best R&B Vocal Performance By A Duo Or Group. Raise also marked the return to the band of rhythm guitarist Roland Bautista, last heard from on 1972's Last Days and Time.
Raise! would be the final EWF album to be released on their vanity label ARC. The label would be discontinued by Columbia Records the following year.
The album art was designed by Roger Carpenter and Raise! was illustrated by Shusei Nagaoka. The front cover of Raise! features a presumed Egyptian female figure. The name of the band is present on the front cover, but the title is not.
On the back cover there is an illustration of a female figure in a sarcophagus, which is also divided into a purple left side and a blue right side. The sarcophagus appears to be hyper-modern. The title of the album is presented in the top left corner of the back cover.
Ken Tucker of Rolling Stone describes Raise! as a reflection of "street-gritty black pop" and that on "Let's Groove" and the fast, cutting "Lady Sun", the horn section screams like a car running a red light". Music critic Robert Christgau says that on the album, he felt "a show of strength was due".
|1.||"Let's Groove"||Wayne Vaughn, Maurice White||5:37|
|2.||"Lady Sun"||Beloyd Taylor||3:39|
|3.||"My Love"||Wayne Vaughn, Maurice White||4:35|
|4.||"Evolution Orange"||David Foster, O'Byrne, Maurice White||4:37|
|5.||"Kalimba Tree"||Maurice White||0:25|
|6.||"You Are a Winner"||Beloyd Taylor||4:09|
|7.||"I've Had Enough"||Philip Bailey, Greg Phillinganes, Brenda Russell||4:36|
|8.||"Wanna Be With You"||Wayne Vaughn, Maurice White||4:36|
|9.||"The Changing Times"||Beloyd Taylor||5:54|
|2015 Expanded Version Bonus Tracks|
|10.||"Wanna Be With You" (Single Version)||Wayne Vaughn, Maurice White||3:58|
|11.||"Kalimba Tree" (12" Long Version)||Maurice White||3:49|
|12.||"Let's Groove" (Special Remixed Holiday Version)||Wayne Vaughn, Maurice White||6:44|
|13.||"Let's Groove" (Single Version)||Wayne Vaughn, Maurice White||4:07|
|14.||"Let's Groove" (Instrumental)||Wayne Vaughn, Maurice White||4:01|
|15.||"I've Had Enough" (7" Version)||Philip Bailey, Greg Phillinganes, Brenda Russell||3:53|
|16.||"The Changing Times" (7" Version)||Beloyd Taylor||4:45|
Adapted from Discogs.
- Billy Meyers – horn arrangements (tracks 1, 3, 7)
- Jerry Hey- horn arrangements (tracks 2, 4, 6, 8–9)
- David Foster – string arrangements (Track 4), & Billy Meyers (1, 3, 7)
- Mick Guzauski – art direction, design
- Ken Fowler – engineer
- Ron Pendragon – engineer
- Stephen McManus – assistant engineer
- Mick Guzauski – engineer (horns, string overdubs)
- Tom Perry – engineer (vocal overdubs), mixing
- Shusei Nagaoka – illustration
|1981||"Let's Groove/I've Had Enough"||Club Play Singles||3|
|"Let's Groove"||Black Singles||1|
|"Wanna Be With You"||Black Singles||15|
The information regarding accolades attributed to Raise! is adapted from rocklistmusic.co.uk.
|NME||U.K||Albums of the Year||1981||16|
- List of number-one R&B albums of 1981 (U.S.)
- List of number-one R&B albums of 1982 (U.S.)
- Billboard Year-End
- RIAA Certification for Raise!
- British Phonographic Industry certification for Raise!
- Billboard Top R&B/Hip Hop Albums of 1982
- Allmusic review
- Rolling Stone review
- "Earth, Wind & Fire Raise! album review". rollingstone.com. February 4, 1982. Retrieved May 4, 2009.
- "Consumer Guide Album Earth, Wind & Fire: Raise!". robertchristgau.com. 1981. Retrieved May 4, 2009.
- Raise on discogs.com
- Raise (Expanded Edition) on discogs.com
- "Raise!". chartstats.com. Archived from the original on January 19, 2013. Retrieved May 24, 2009.
- rocklistmusic – 1981 NME Lists