|Public limited company|
|Traded as||Nasdaq Helsinki: RAIVV
Nasdaq Helsinki: RAIKV
|Revenue||€436 million (2016)|
|€50.7 million (2016)|
Number of employees
Raisio Oyj, known internationally as Raisio Group (Nasdaq Helsinki: RAIVV), is a Finnish company that makes cereal products and animal feeds and engages in life-sciences. The headquarters are located in Raisio, Finland.
Raisio has production sites in four countries and in 12 locations. The Group's key market areas are Finland, the UK, Russia, Ukraine, Poland and the Czech Republic. Markets for the Benecol ingredient are global.
The main products of the Brands division include breakfast, snack and baking products, cholesterol-lowering functional foods, the ingredient of plant stanol ester in Benecol products as well as activities related to the international commercialisation of the Benemilk innovation. The most recognised food brands are Benecol, Elovena, Provena, Sunnuntai, Honey Monster, Nordic, Fox's, Poppets and Juicee Gummee.
Raisioagro’s focus is on cattle and fish feeds, grain trade and online store. Raisioagro's most recognised feed brands are Benemilk, Maituri and Hercules. They are commercialized mainly in Finland.
In its strategical phases Raisio moved in 2010 to the growth phase that is still continuing. Raisio is growing organically and through acquisitions. The core of Raisio's strategy includes innovations and healthy, ecological snacks. Raisio’s innovations include the cholesterol-lowering Benecol as well as Benemilk with its ability to increase milk yield and improve contents of milk.
The company was established in 1939 in Finland. Raisio got its start as Oy Vehnä Ab, a mill founded by Finnish wheat farmers to grind the wheat grown by its shareholders and to market the flour.
Acquisitions and divestments
In 2004, the company divested its paper chemical division, Raisio Chemicals, to Ciba Specialty Chemicals. In 2009, Raisio sold its margarine business to Bunge Limited. Raisio Group acquired the British food company Glisten in 2010. The next year, Raisio acquired Big Bear. In November 2014 Raisio acquired the Benecol business from the affiliates of Johnson & Johnson in the UK, Ireland and Belgium and amended the agreement on the Northern American markets of Benecol. In 2016 Raisio divested its snack bar business in the UK.
- "Annual Review 2016". Raisio Group.
- "Raisio Group". Raisio. Retrieved 19 August 2015.
- "Juicee Gummee". Raisio Group. Retrieved 15 May 2016.
- "Raisioagro". Raisio Group. Retrieved 19 August 2015.
- "Strategic phases". Raisio's Annual Report 2014. Retrieved 19 August 2015.
- "Strategic objectives". Raisio's Annual Report 2014. Retrieved 19 August 2015.
- "2004 Industry Review". Chemical & Engineering News Volume 82, Number 51. American Chemical Society. 2004-12-20. pp. 26–33.
- "Raisio to sell margarine business, shares soar". Reuters UK. Thomson Reuters. 2009-05-14. Retrieved 2010-12-14.
- "Bunge Limited (BG) Company Profile". Reuters.com. Thomson Reuters. Retrieved 2010-12-14.
- "Raisio finalises UK snack food acquisition". Food&DrinkEurope.com. Decision News Media. 2010-04-08. Retrieved 2010-12-14.
- Raisio completes capture of Sugar Puffs owner Big Bear
- "Raisio acquired Benecol business from affiliates of Johnson & Johnson". Nasdaq Globenewswire. Retrieved 19 August 2015.
- "Raisio Sells UK Snack Bar Business | FDBusiness.com". Food & Drink business Europe. 2016-07-06. Retrieved 2017-05-25.