Ramona T. Mercer
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (March 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Ramona Thieme Mercer is the author of a mid-range nursing theory known as maternal role attainment. Mercer has contributed many works to the refinement of this theory and is credited as a nurse-theorist. She was the Nahm Lecturer 1984 at the University of California.
Mercer earned a diploma from St. Margaret’s School of Nursing in Montgomery, Alabama. She earned an undergraduate degree in nursing with distinction from the University of New Mexico in 1962, followed by a master's degree in maternal child nursing from Emory University in 1964. For ten years, she worked as a staff nurse, head nurse and instructor. She was a faculty member at Emory University for five years until she left to pursue doctoral studies in maternity nursing at the University of Pittsburgh.
Honors and awards
1988: Distinguished Research Lectureship Award, Western Society for Research in Nursing (inaugural award)
2003: Living Legend, American Academy of Nursing
2004: Distinguished Alumni Award, University of New Mexico College of Nursing
- Mercer, Ramona (1980). "Teenage motherhood: The first year". Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic, and Neonatal Nursing. 9: 16–27. doi:10.1111/j.1552-6909.1980.tb01301.x.
- Mercer, Ramona (1981). "A theoretical framework for studying factors that impact on the maternal role". Nursing Research. 30 (2): 73–77. doi:10.1097/00006199-198103000-00003. PMID 7010317.
- Mercer, Ramona (1985). "The process of maternal role attainment over the first year". Nursing Research. 34 (4): 198–204. doi:10.1097/00006199-198507000-00002. PMID 3847870.
- Mercer, Ramona (1986). First-time motherhood: Experiences from teens to forties. New York: Springer.
- Mercer, Ramona; May, KA; Ferketich, S; Dejoseph, J (1986). "Theoretical models for studying the effect of antepartum stress on the family". Nursing Research. 35 (6): 339–346. doi:10.1097/00006199-198611000-00008. PMID 3640350.
- Mercer, Ramona (1995). Becoming a mother: Research on maternal identity from Rubin to the present. New York: Springer.
- Mercer, Ramona; Ferketich, S. (1990). "Predictors of parental attachment during early parenthood". Journal of Advanced Nursing. 15 (3): 268–280. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2648.1990.tb01813.x. PMID 2332549.
- Mercer, Ramona; Ferketich, S. (1994). "Predictors of maternal role competence by risk status". Nursing Research. 43 (1): 38–43. doi:10.1097/00006199-199401000-00009. PMID 8295838.