Roman Catholic Diocese of Achonry
|Diocese of Achonry
The Cathedral of the Annunciation and St. Nathy, Ballaghaderreen
|Country||Republic of Ireland|
|Territory||Parts of counties Mayo, Roscommon and Sligo|
|Ecclesiastical province||Province of Tuam|
|Metropolitan||Archdiocese of Tuam|
|Area||346 sq mi (900 km2)|
|(as of 2012)
|Established||Between 1111 and 1152|
|Cathedral||Cathedral of the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary and St Nathy, Ballaghaderreen|
|Patron saint||St Nathy and St Attracta |
Bishop of Achonry
|Metropolitan Archbishop||Michael Neary,
Archbishop of Tuam
The Diocese of Achrony within the Province of Tuam
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Achonry (Irish: Deoise Achadh Conaire) is a Roman Catholic diocese in the western part of Ireland. It is one of the five suffragan sees of the Archdiocese of Tuam. The diocese was often called the "bishopric of Luighne" in the Irish annals. It was not established at the Synod of Rathbreasail, but Máel Ruanaid Ua Ruadáin signed as "bishop of Luighne" at the Synod of Kells.
At present there are twenty-three parishes in the diocese, located in Counties Mayo, Roscommon and Sligo. There are thirty-six priests involved in full-time parish ministry and seven involved in secondary education. The current bishop, Brendan Kelly, was appointed on the 20 November 2007 and was ordained on the 27 January 2008. The previous bishop, Thomas Flynn, had served the diocese for thirty years. The Cathedral, dedicated to The Annunciation and St. Nathy, is in Ballaghaderreen and was built in the 1850s.
- Thomas O'Fihely (1547–1555)
- Cormac O'Coyn (1556–1561)
- Eugene O'Hart (1562–1603)
- See vacant (1603–1629)
- Andrew Lynch (Vicar Apostolic, appointed 1629)
- James Fallon (Vicar Apostolic 1631–1662)
- Maurice Durcan (Vicar Apostolic, appointed 1677)
- Hugh MacDermot (Vicar Apostolic 1684–1707, Bishop 1707–1725)
- Dominic O’Daly (1725–1735)
- John O'Hart (1735–1739)
- Walter Blake (1739–1758)
- Patrick Robert Kirwan (1758–1776)
- Philip Phillips (1776–1785)
- Boetius Egan (1785–1787)
- Thomas O'Connor (1788–1803)
- Charles Lynagh (1803–1808)
- John O'Flynn (1809–1817)
- Patrick MacNicholas (1818–1852)
- Patrick Durcan (1852–1875)
- Francis McCormack (1875–1887)
- John Lyster (1888–1911)
- Patrick Morrisroe (1911–1946)
- James Fergus (1947–1976)
- Thomas Flynn (1976–2007)
- Brendan Kelly (2007–present)
- Diocese of Tuam, Killala and Achonry (Church of Ireland)
- Patrons of the diocese of Achonry, Ireland. Saints.com. Retrieved 24 April 2010.
- Diocese of Achonry. Retrieved on 14 January 2009.
- Fryde, E. B.; Greenway, D. E.; Porter, S. & Roy, I. (23 February 1996). Handbook of British Chronology (Third Edition, revised ed.). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. pp. 328–29 and 412–13. ISBN 978-0521563505. (subscription required (. ))
- "Diocese of Achonry". Catholic-Hierarchy. 13 February 2016. Retrieved 23 February 2016.
- Official Diocesan website
- Diocese of Achonry. Irish Catholic Bishops' Conference website.
- Diocese of Achonry. Catholic-Hierarchy website.
- Diocese of Achonry. GCatholic.org website.