Run Baby Run (2012 film)
|Run Baby Run|
Theatrical release poster
|Produced by||Milan Jaleel|
|Music by||Ratheesh Vegha|
|Cinematography||R. D. Rajasekhar|
|Edited by||Shyam Sasidharan|
|Box office||₹25 crore (US$3.9 million)|
Run Baby Run (sometimes presented as Run Babby Run) is a 2012 Malayalam action comedy thriller film directed by Joshiy, produced by Milan Jaleel and distributed by Galaxy Films. Written by Sachy of the Sachi-Sethu duo, it stars Mohanlal and Amala Paul in the lead roles. The cinematography was done by R. D. Rajasekhar.
The film, which was set in the backdrop of news media, has Mohanlal playing the role of a channel cameraman Venu and Amala Paul that of a senior editor Renuka. The story traces their relationship and professional conflicts. It released worldwide on 29 August 2012. The film was one of the highest grossed Malayalam film of 2012.
Venu (Mohanlal) is a high-profile news cameraman working in Reuters. He graduated from a premier film institute but preferred to shoot news rather than the manipulated visuals for movies. He is mostly based in Delhi but has come to Kochi to appear for a case in which he is involved. He is assigned to cover a case involving a local politician where he gets to meet Renuka (Amala Paul). Renuka is the executive editor of Bharath Vision and Venu and Renuka have a story to tell of their own. A flashback tells the story about how two lovers turned into foes.
Rishikesh (Biju Menon) is another channel head NBI ((News Bureau of India)), who is going through some difficult times, as some of his star performers have gone in search of greener pastures. Venu and Renuka come together to investigate a particular story about a murder planned by Bharathan Pillai (Sai Kumar), a major politician who had lost his fame and name before many years when Venu and Renuka exposed a scam involving him.
- Mohanlal as Venu
- Amala Paul as Renuka
- Biju Menon as Hrishikesh
- Aparna Nair as Indu Panicker
- Ameer Niyaz as Abu
- Sai Kumar as Bharathan Pillai
- Siddique as Rajan Kartha
- Krishna Kumar as Vijaya Kumar
- Shammi Thilakan as D.Y.S.P Benny
- Mithun Ramesh as Advocate Manilal
- Anil Murali as Sugunan
- Anoop Chandran
- Joju George as Shibu
- Babu Jose
- Jins Varghese as Sanju (Sub editor of Renuka)
- Sivaji Guruvayoor as Minister Kunjali
- Biju Pappan
Run Baby Run was written by Sachy.
Mohanlal held a sneak preview of the film on 28 August, at a theatre owned by director Priyadarshan in Chennai. The preview was attended by Amala Paul, Priyadarsan, Suresh Balaji, Lizzy Priyadarsan, Ouseppachan, and R. D. Rajasekhar.
Paresh C Palicha of Rediff.com wrote, "The acting department depends on Mohanlal a bit too much", but described Mohanlal's performance as "impeccable". IbnLive.in called it as a "gripping thriller" lauding Mohanlal's performance, script, direction and technicians said "the film is a roller coaster ride. The movie has the precise doses of actions, thrills, lighter moments and finer sequences which are also laced with a fine performance of the cast" and concluded "For the lovers of relatively well made thrillers, 'Run baby Run' is definitely your movie and you may love to see it, more than once. Forget the little glitches and watch the wonderful performance of Mohanlal.".
Oneindia.in praised Mohanlal's performance as "outstanding" and complimented RD Rajasekhar's cinematography. Sify.com rated it as "Very Good" and said that "Run Babby Run is a thriller that keeps you glued on to the screens. It is a gripping tale with some good visuals and excellent performances. On the whole it is an engaging thriller which has the right doses of histrionics, tautness, anguish and thrills."
G. Krishnamurthy of Indulekha.com said "Run baby Run is the only Malayalam film released which can be recommended to watch among the Onam releases.". Giving special mention to Mohanlal, Sachy, Joshiy, R.D Rajasekhar and other creative department. Unni R Nair of Kerala9.com rated 3/5 and stated "Joshiy is in full control. As usual, he has done full justice to the subject at hand and has delivered perfectly well." and with a praise for performance and technical aspects.
Raj Vikram of Metro Matinee gave a verdict "Run baby Run entertains" and concluded "In spite of all the faults, “Run Babby Run” manages to run and reach home mainly because of the overwhelming presence of Mohanlal who comes out with another mesmerizing performance. At times, the flick turns to a fine entertainer for this festival season even by leaving few down points.". Ashwin j Kumar of The Times of India rated 3/5 and said "The film depicts the true face of media war. The film is driven by a flimsy narrative and lavished with twists."
The film grossed nearly ₹19 crore (US$3.0 million) from theatres. '
|Asiavision Awards||Best Actor||Mohanlal||Won|
|New Sensation in Singing||Mohanlal for "Aattumanal Payayil.."||Won|
|2nd South Indian International Movie Awards||Best Actress||Amala Paul||Won|
|Best Male Playback Singer||Mohanlal for "Aatumanal Payayil"||Nominated|
|Best Dance Choreographer||Brinda for "Aatumanal Payayil"||Won|
|Asianet Film Awards||Best Actor||Mohanlal||Won|
|Best Character Actor||Biju Menon||Won|
|Run Baby Run|
|Soundtrack album by Ratheesh Vegha|
|Released||25 August 2012|
|Ratheesh Vegha chronology|
The soundtrack was composed by Ratheesh Vegha, with lyrics penned by Rafeeq Ahmed. Mohanlal sings a folk number titled "Attumanal Payayil" in this film. The album consists of six songs. The audio rights were acquired by Manorama Music for a price of ₹16 million (US$250,000). The album was launched on 25 August 2012 at Dream Hotel in Kochi. The event was attended by Mohanlal, Mammootty, Joshiy, Mukesh, Milan Jaleel, Ratheesh Vegha, Amala Paul and several personalities from the film industry along with the technical crew and cast of Run Baby Run.
|1.||"Attumanal Payayil"||Rafeeq Ahmed||Mohanlal||3:49|
|2.||"Aarohanam Avarohanam"||Rafeeq Ahmed||Vijay Yesudas||4:25|
|3.||"Run Baby Run"||Rafeeq Ahmed||Ratheesh Vegha||4:20|
|4.||"Aarohanam Avarohanam"||Rafeeq Ahmed||Thulasi Yatheendran||4:20|
|5.||"Attumanal (Karaoke)"||Rafeeq Ahmed||4:11|
|6.||"Aarohanam Avarohanam" (karaoke)||Rafeeq Ahmed||4:21|
- "Meet the top five show stealers of 2012". The Times of India. Times News Network. 14 December 2012.
- "Amala Paul back to Malluwood". The Times of India. 3 May 2012. Retrieved 7 May 2012.
- "Amala Paul opposite Mohanlal!". Indiaglitz. 7 April 2012. Retrieved 7 May 2012.
- "Year end 2012". Malayala Manorama.
- "On Location: The newsmakers". The Hindu. 24 May 2012. Retrieved 24 May 2012.
- "Onam Special: Mohanlal's Run Baby Run"
- "Mohanlal watches Run Baby Run"
- "Amala Paul attends 'Run Baby Run' private screening"
- Paresh C Palicha (30 August 2012). "Review: Run Baby Run depends on Mohanlal". rediff.com. Retrieved 2 September 2012.
- ibnlive.in.com (31 August 2012). "Malayalam Review: 'Run Baby Run' is a gripping thriller". CNN-IBN.
- Smitha (1 September 2012). "Run Baby Run Movie Review – Mind boggling thriller!". Oneindia.in. Retrieved 21 September 2012.
- Moviebuzz. "Run Baby Run". Sify.com.
- G. Krishnamurthy (29 August 2012). "REVIEW: RUN BABY RUN". Indulekha.com.
- Unni R Nair (29 August 2012). "Run Baby Run Malayalam Movie Review". kerala9.com.
- Raj Vikram. "Run Baby Run Review". metromatinee.com.
- Ashwin J Kumar (10 September 2012). "Run Baby Run". The Times of India.
- A. K. S. Satish (10 November 2012). "South Indian stars shine at Asiavision Awards". gulfnews.com.
- "Winners-2012". siima.in.
- "Asianet Film Awards 2013 – Winners List". filmibeat.com. 21 January 2013.
- "Mohanlal croons". The Times of India. 25 April 2012. Retrieved 7 May 2012.