Khan in 2017
21 August 1988|
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
|Occupation||Actress, model, dancer|
Sana Khan (also known as Sana Khaan) is an Indian actress, model and dancer. Khan began her career in modelling and went on to appear in advertisements and feature films. She has appeared in south Indian films, TV commercials, dance performances in films in special appearance, and for a reality television show. She has acted in 14 films across 5 languages and has appeared in over 50 ad films. She also was a contestant on the reality show Bigg Boss.
Khan made her acting debut in the low-budget adult Hindi film Yehi Hai High Society, which was released in March 2005. She subsequently started appearing in television commercials and other ad films.
Khan's debut Tamil film Silambattam was produced by Lakshmi Movie Makers, and was released in December 2008. Silambarasan, the film's lead actor, who had previously signed and then dropped her for a role in his film Kettavan, called her again for the female lead role in Silambattam after seeing her ad with Shahrukh Khan. She said in an interview with The Hindu, "Silambarasan came to Mumbai looking for a fresh face for his film Silambattam. There he saw me and selected me. I knew I had to work hard to make it big in the Tamil film industry". Khan regards the film as her first break. She received praise for her portrayal of a talkative, tomboyish brahmin village girl named Janu in the film, and won the 2009 ITFA Best New Actress Award in Singapore.
In March 2010, her next Tamil film, Thambikku Indha Ooru was released. Later that year, Khan ventured into the Telugu film industry, appearing in Nandamuri Kalyan Ram's Kalyanram Kathi, which was released in November 2010. Khan's next release was the February 2011 bilingual thriller Gaganam / Payanam – shot in Telugu and Tamil, respectively – which was based on an aircraft high-jack theme.
In May 2011, Khan stepped into Kannada films with Golden Movies' Kool...Sakkath Hot Maga. In September 2011, her next Tamil film, Aayiram Vilakku, was released, in which Khan played the role of a Madurai girl. In the March 2012 Telugu film Mr. Nookayya Khan played the role of a waitress in a pub, adding glamour to the film. Khan made her Malayalam film debut with Climax that was loosely based on the Hindi film The Dirty Picture and she played the role of late South Indian actress Silk Smitha. Khan was also signed up her sixth Tamil film, Thalaivan with Bas, which was produced by Blue Ocean Pictures.
She plays as daughter of main antagonist Danny Denzongpa in Bollywood film, Jai Ho, with the shooting of the film started in March 2013 in Dubai and released on 24 January 2014. Khan did the film Wajah Tum Ho opposite Sharman Joshi and Gurmeet Choudhary. The film was a flop at Box Office India. Her bold scenes with Gurmeet and Rajneesh Duggal in the film were much discussed after the trailer was released on YouTube. Khan did a special appearance in Toilet: Ek Prem Katha in which she was seen portraying the role of Akshay Kumar's girlfriend. Her upcoming film is Tom, Dick and Harry 2 in which she will share the screen alongside Aftab Shivdasani and Sharman Joshi.
Khan has acted in over 50 ad films, including a cosmetic commercial directed by Shirish Kunder in July 2007. She has also done a commercial for the deodorant brand, Secret Temptation and for Yatra.com. She has done an advertisement for Xbox 360 video game console.
In March 2007, Khan's TV commercial for the men's underwear brand, Amul Macho, showed her provocatively scrubbing and washing some underwear, simulating an orgasm. It created a strong controversy and was banned by the Indian government on the grounds of sexual profanity. Khan responded in an interview, "Forget about the ban and people taking out morchas (protests) against me and burning my posters in Bombay (Mumbai). At the end of it people from the creative field have loved it." The company re-hired Khan, shot a sequel to that commercial with a different theme, and released it in February 2008.
In October 2012, Khan participated in the Indian celebrity reality TV show Bigg Boss Season 6 as a contestant. Before entering the show, she said in an interview, "I am going to flaunt my age and the fact that I am the youngest. I am going into the house without any preparation. I want to be spontaneous and show the world the real me." She gained a lot of popularity from the audience and managed to stay in the show till the end, though she stood third in the show. She told PTI, "I am happy to have reached top three. I did not expect this."
|2005||Yehi Hai High Society||Sonia||Hindi|
|2007||Bombay to Goa||Special appearance||Hindi|
|2007||Dhan Dhana Dhan Goal||Special appearance||Hindi|
|2010||Thambikku Indha Ooru||Divya||Tamil|
|2011||Kool...Sakkath Hot Maga||Kajol||Kannada|
|2014||Jai Ho||Home Minister's Daughter||Hindi|
|2016||Wajah Tum Ho||Siya||Hindi|
|2017||Anbanavan Asaradhavan Adangadhavan||Tamil|
|2017||Toilet: Ek Prem Katha||Special appearance||Hindi|
|2018||Tom, Dick, and Harry 2||Hindi||Filming|
- 2012 Bigg Boss 6
- 2015 Bigg Boss Halla Bol!
- 2015 Fear Factor: Khatron Ke Khiladi (season 6)
- 2015 Killerr Karaoke Atka Toh Latkah
- 2015 Bigg Boss 9
- 2016 Comedy Nights Bachao
- 2016 Comedy Nights Live
- 2016 Bigg Boss 10
- 2018 "Entertainment Ki Raat"
Awards & Nominations
|2008||Silambattam||International Tamil Film Awards||ITFA Best New Actress Award||Won|
|2015||Jai Ho||Stardust Awards||Stardust Award for Breakthrough Performance – Female||Nominated|
|2017||Wajah Tum Ho||Most Entertaining Actor in a Thriller Film – Female||Nominated|
|2018||Wajah Tum Ho||Dadasaheb Phalke Award||Best Debutant Award||Won|
- "Salman Khan's Mental heroine and former Bigg Boss contestant Sana Khan celebrated her 25th birthday in style at her home in Oshiwara, a north west suburb in Mumbai, on August 21".
- "Sana Khan celebrates birthday with Ajaz Khan, Rajeev Paul".
- Kumar, S. R. Ashok (18 February 2010). "My First Break – Sana Khan". The Hindu. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- "Celeb cook in: Sana Khan".
- "Sana Khan in Bigg Boss Hala Bol as fifth challenger!". Retrieved 2 January 2015.
- Pillai, Sreedhar (9 November 2008). "Simbu's new girl". Times of India. Retrieved 27 October 2009.
- "Yehi Hai High Society". Hungama Digital Media Entertainment Pvt. Ltd. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- "Silambattam gets ready for release". The Times of India. TNN. 16 December 2008. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- "Bigg Boss > Contestants > Sana Khan". Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- "Sana Khan on aayiram vilakku Part 2". behindwoodstv (on Youtube). Retrieved 29 November 2012.
- Ramchander (12 November 2010). "Kalyanram Kathi – Movie Review". One Indian Entertainment/ Greynium Information Technologies Pvt. Ltd. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- "Tamil " Movies " Aayiram Vilakku". One India Entertainment/Greynium Information Technologies Pvt. Ltd. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- Dundoo, Sangeetha Devi (10 March 2012). "Mr. Nookayya: A thriller that meanders". The Hindu. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- "Sana Khan as 'Silk' Smitha in Malayalam". The New Indian Express. Express Features. 16 June 2012. Retrieved 20 November 2012.
- "First Look: Sana Khan as Silk Smitha in Climax". Rediff.com. 16 August 2012. Retrieved 20 November 2012.
- Nayar, Parvathy S (16 February 2013). "Sana Khan moves from the Bigg Boss house to a new house!". The Times of India. TNN. Retrieved 19 February 2013.
- "Thalaivan". The Times of India. TNN. 13 August 2012. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- "Bigg Boss contestant Sana Khan feels blessed to act with Salman Khan". The Indian Express. PTI. 17 March 2013. Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- "Salman Khan to go 'Mental' with Sana Khan, Daisy and Tabu". Dubai Media Incorporated. 18 March 2013. Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- Wajah Tum Ho: Why so much noise over intimate scenes, asks Sana Khan
- "Ready to witness live murder on TV?".
- "Sana Khan: Can't believe it's me in 'Wajah Tum Ho'". The Times of India. 6 August 2016. Retrieved 7 August 2016.
- "Sana Khan goes bold for erotic thriller Wajah Tum Ho". Bollywood Hungama. 4 April 2016. Retrieved 7 August 2016.
- "Sana Khan: Working with Akshay Kumar in 'Toilet:Ek Prem Katha' was challenging".
- "Going de-glam! Sana Khan looks unrecognisable in 'Toilet: Ek Prem Katha'". mid-day. Retrieved 2017-05-29.
- Padukone, Chaitanya (16 July 2007). "Sanaa fulfills her 'fantasy'". DNA. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- "'Bigg Boss 6': Who is Sana Khan? Hint – 'Ye toh bada toing hai!'". IBNLive/IBN South. 8 October 2012. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- Mukhopadhyay, Sougata (20 February 2008). "Company launches banned innerwear ad's sequel". CNN-IBN. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- Thomas, Amy Rose (8 October 2012). "I will flaunt my age: Sana Khan". Postnoon. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- "Sana Khan wants to work in Bollywood". The Times of India. PTI. 13 January 2013. Retrieved 13 January 2013.
- "BIGG BOSS 6 grand finale: Urvashi Dholakia is the winner". Hindustan Times. Archived from the original on 12 January 2013. Retrieved 13 January 2013.
- "Bigg Boss 8: Sana Khan is the fifth challenger". Hindustan Times. 2 January 2015. Archived from the original on 2 January 2015. Retrieved 2 January 2015.
- "Nominations for Stardust Awards 2014". Bollywood Hungama. December 8, 2014. Retrieved December 8, 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sana Khan.|