Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai
|Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai|
|Genre||Indian soap opera|
|Created by||Director's Kut Productions|
Saba Mumtaz |
Romesh Kalra |
|Creative director(s)||Vivek Bahl|
|Opening theme||Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai By Alka Yagnik|
|Country of origin||India|
|No. of seasons||65|
|No. of episodes||2,717 as of 17 August 2018|
|Executive producer(s)||Vivek Jain|
|Running time||22 minutes|
|Original release||12 January 2009– present|
Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai (lit. What is this relationship called?) is a Hindi-Language television drama aired on StarPlus. It premiered on 12 January 2009 on StarPlus. It is one of the longest running Indian series.
The show focuses on the daily life of an Udaipur-based Rajasthani family. The show's lead characters are Naira (Shivangi Joshi) and Kartik (Mohsin Khan). The series initially focused on Naira's parents, Akshara (Hina Khan) and Naitik (Karan Mehra).
A young couple, Akshara and Naitik Singhania, live in a Marwari joint family in Udaipur. They adjust as a married couple, as parents of young children, and as their extended families mature.
Naitik falls into a coma in an accident; four years later he returns to the family and struggles to gain acceptance from his five-year-old son, Naksh. Naitik's mother dies and his father marries a divorcee with two children.
Later, when her husband dies, Naitik's elder aunt blames Akshara and kicks her out of the house; Naitik, Akshara, Naksh and newborn Naira leave their extended family.
The family live in Cape Town for several years. An adult Naksh returns to Udaipur and counsels his great aunt, who is convinced to forgive Akshara and the family returns. Naksh falls in love with Tara and wedding plans are made, but she breaks up with him minutes before the ceremony.
Teenaged Naira runs away from Akshara and lives in Rishikesh for a time. When she returns a love triangle forms between Naira, her cousin Gayu, and Naitik's employee Kartik. Naira considers setting aside her feelings so Gayu can be happy, but after a time Naira and Kartik confess their love for each other.
Later, Akshara dies in a car accident and a drunk Kartik is blamed, dividing the families, but Naira proves his innocence and her family accepts him.
Naira and Kartik are married, and later learn that Kartik's cousin, Mansi was responsible for her mother's death. The couple later work together to help his sister gain a divorce from her abusive husband. Under pressure from the family, Naksh agrees to marry Naira's sister-in-law, Keerti.
Parallel story arcs
Parallel with Akshara and Naitik's stories, the stories of their respective siblings also form significant story arcs in the series. Past plots have been built around the lives of Naitik's sisters Nandini and Rashmi. The series has also focused on Naitik's step-siblings. The series also paralleled the story of Akshara-Naitik with that of Varsha-Shaurya, Akshara's best friend and elder brother, respectively.
After several leaps, Naira and Kartik became the leads of the show. Parallel with Kartik and Naira's stories, the series also focuses on the story of their siblings: Naksh, Gayu, Keerti and Shubham.
Currently, parallel with Kartik and Naira's story, the series focuses on the story of Naksh and Keerti.
This section may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. The specific problem is: Per WP:TVCAST we care about the entire history of the cast, not just the most current lineup. To be consistent with other established television articles, former cast members need to be reincorporated into either the Main cast or Recurring cast sections, and organised per their introduction into the series, with newer members of the cast being added to the bottom of each list. So someone who was introduced in 2009 would appear at the top of the list, where someone introduced in 2015 would appear toward the bottom. (April 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Hina Khan as Akshara Naitik Singhania, née Maheshwari (Dead) – Vishambhar-Rajshri's Daughter, Naitik's Wife, Naksh-Naira's Mother (2009–16)
- Karan Mehra as Naitik Raj Shekhar Singhania – Gayatri-Raj's Son, Akshara's Husband, Naksh-Naira's Father (2009–16)
- Rohan Mehra as Naksh Naitik Singhania – Akshara-Naitik's Son, Naira's Brother, Naintara's Ex-fiancé (2015–16)
- Shivangi Joshi as Naira Kartik Goenka (née Naitik Singhania) – Kartik's Wife, Akshara-Naitik's Daughter (2016–present)
- Mohsin Khan as Kartik Manish Goenka – Naira's Husband (2016–present)
- Mohena Singh as Kirti Naksh Singhania, née Manish Goenka – Naksh's Wife, Kartik's Sister (2016–present)
- Rishi Dev as Naksh Naitik Singhania – Kirti's Husband, Akshara-Naitik's Son, Naira's Elder Brother (2017–)
- Vishal Singh as Naitik Raj Shekhar Singhania – Akshara's Husband, Naksh-Naira's Father (2016–present)
- Sonali Verma as Gayatri Raj Shekhar Singhania (Dead) – Raj's First Wife, Naitik-Rashmi's Mother, Akshara's Mother-in-law, Naksh-Naira's Grandmother (2009–13)
- Kshitee Jog as Devyani Raj Shekhar Singhania – Raj Shekhar's Second Wife, Naira's Younger Paternal Grandmother (2014–present)
- Sandeep Mehta as Raj Shekhar Singhania – Naitik's Father, Akshara's Father-in-law, Naira's Paternal Grandfather (2009–present)
- Medha Sambutkar as Kaveri Mahendra Pratap Singhania / Bhabhi Maa – Naitik's Elder Aunt, Nandini's Mother, Naira's Elder Paternal Grandmother (2009–present)
- Sanjai Gandhi / Abhijeet Lahri as Mahendra Pratap Singhania / Daddaji (Dead) – Kaveri's Husband, Nandini's Father, Naitik's Elder Uncle (2009–15)
- Kirti Sually as Baisa – Naitik's Paternal Aunt, Naira's Paternal Grandaunt (2010–present)
- Shivansh Kotia as Young Naksh Naitik Singhania – Naitik-Akshara's Son (2012–15)
- Ashnoor Kaur as Young Naira Naitik Singhania – Naitik-Akshara's Daughter (2015–16)
- Lata Sabharwal as Rajshri Vishambharnath Maheshwari – Akshara's Mother, Naira's Maternal Grandmother (2009–present)
- Sanjeev Seth as Vishambharnath Maheshwari – Akshara's Father, Naira's Maternal Grandfather (2009–17)
- Manu Malik as Omkarnath Maheshwari – Akshara's Younger Uncle, Sunaina's Husband, Anshuman's Father (2009–16)
- Neelima Taddepalli as Sunaina Omkarnath Maheshwari – Naira's maternal grand aunt (choti nani) Akshara's aunt, Omkar's wife, Anshuman's mother (2009–16)
- Aman Sharma / Dheeraj Gumbar as Anshuman Omkarnath Maheshwari, Akshara's cousin brother, Jasmeet's husband (2009–16)
- Vineeta Malik as Bhairavi Maheshwari, Vishambharnath-Omkarnath's mother, Akshara's grandmother, Naira's maternal great grand mother (badi nani) (2009–16)
- Parul Chauhan as Suvarna Manish Goenka – Kirti-Kartik's Stepmother, Naira's Mother-in-law (2016–present)
- Sachin Tyagi as Manish Goenka – Kirti-Kartik's Father (2016–present)
- Swati Chitnis as Suhasini Goenka – Kartik's Paternal Grandmother (2017–present)
- Nidhi Uttam as Nandini Mohit Agarwal, Kaveri-Mahendra Pratap's daughter, Mohit's wife, Yash-Anmol's mother, Naira's paternal aunt (bua) (2009–16)
- Ayush Agarwal/Shamik Abbas as Mohit Agarwal, Naitik's best friend, Nandini's husband, Naira's uncle (phupaji) (2009–16)
- Urmila Sharma/Sunita Rao as Rukmini Agarwal, Mohit's mother (2009–16)
- Neha Saroopa as Rashmi Sameer Desai/Rashmi Nikhil Deora (née Singhania), Gaytri-Raj's daughter, Naitik's sister, Nikhil-Sameer's wife, Gayu's mother (2009–16) (dead)
- Pooja Joshi as Varsha Shaurya Maheshwari, Akshara's friend, Shaurya's wife, Ananya-Kuhu's mother, Naira's maternal aunt (mami) (2009–17)
- Ather Habib/Yash Gera as Shaurya Vishambharnath Maheshwari, Akshara's brother, Varsha's husband, Ananya-Kuhu's father, Naira's maternal uncle (mamaji) (2009–17)
- Anand Mani as Bhajinder Singh, Maheshwari's servant (2009–12)
- Sunita Rajwar as Dhaniya Bhajinder Singh, Bajinder's wife (2009–12)
- Rakesh Deewana as Maharaj, Singhania's ex chef (2009–14)
- Roshan Khan as Gopi Dadi, Bhairvi's friend (2009–14)
- Ali Merchant as Rituraj, Naitik's cousin brother (2009; 2011–12)
- Amit Dolawat as Alok Awasthi, Muskaan's husband (2009; 2014–15)
- Preeti Sharma as Bindiya, Rituraj's wife (2009)
- Divya Bhatnagar as Gulaboo, Singhania's maid (2009–15)
- Amardeep Jha as Shankari, Akshara's match-maker (2009–16)
- Charu Asopa as Sneha: Naitik's worker, Kuhu's mother (2010)
- Bani as Baby Naksh Naitik Singhania, Naitik-Akshara's son (2011–12) (replaced)
- Ashish Kapoor as Nikhil Rajendra Deora, Rashmi's ex-husband (2011–12)
- Unknown as Rama Rajendra Deora, Rashmi's mother in law, Nikhil's mother (2011–16)
- Reem Sheikh as young Prerna Singhania (chikki), Singhania's adopted child (2012)
- Alpesh Gehlot as Samar, Akshara's admirer (2012)
- Akanksha Kapil as Antara, Loves Naitik (2012)
- Navika Kotia as Prerna Singhania, Grown up Chikki (2013)
- Anurag Nigam as Ankit (2013)
- Zarina Roshan Khan as Muskaan Alok Awasthi, Naman's sister (2014–15)
- Shirin Sewani as Jasmeet Anshuman Maheshwari, Anshuman's wife (2014–16)
- Anshul Pandey as Naman Raj Singhania, Suresh-Devyani's son, Raj's step son, Muskaan's brother, Karishma's husband, Mishti's father (2014–16)
- Priyanka Udhwani as Karishma Naman Singhania, Naman's wife, Naira's aunt (chachi) (2014–18)
- Aarna Sharma as Mishti Naman Singhania, Naira's cousin, Naman-Karishma's daughter (2015)
- Mazher Sayed as Sameer Desai, Rashmi's second husband (2015)
- Mishka Jain as Baby Naira Naitik Singhania, Naitik-Akshara's daughter (2015) (replaced)
- Sanchit Sharma as Yash Mohit Agarwal, Naira's cousin, Nandini-Mohit's adopted son, Rose's husband (2015–16)
- Akshaya Naik as Ananya Ranveer Sharma, Naira's cousin, Varsha-Shaurya's daughter, Ranveer's wife (2015–16)
- Umang Jain as Tara Singh Shekhawat, Naksh's ex fiancé (2015–16)
- Alok Nath as Chandrabhan Singh Shekhawat, Tara's grandfather (2015–16)
- Amal Sehrawat as Sangram Singh Shekhawat, Tara's brother (2015–16)
- Shivam Agarwal as Aditya Singh Shekhawat, Tara's brother (2015–16)
- Vaishali Takkar as Sanjana, Naksh's friend (2015–16)
- Khushmeet Gill as Nannu Anshuman Maheshwari, Anshuman-Jasmeet's son (2015–16)
- Kanchi Singh as Gayatri Nikhil Deora, Naira's cousin, Rashmi-Nikhil's daughter, Sameer's step-daughter (2016–17)
- Yamini Makwana as Kuhu Shaurya Maheshwari, Naira's cousin, Shaurya-Sneha's daughter (2016–17)
- Arjun Kohli as Ranveer Sharma, Ananya's husband (2016)
- Sippora Zoutewelle as Rose Yash Agarwal, Yash's wife (2016)
- Karan Pahwa as Anmol Mohit Agarwal, Naira's cousin, Nandini-Mohit's son (2016)
- Harbandana Kaur as Young Kuhu (2016)
- Sheetal Tiwari as Sukanya, Naira's friend (2016) (dead)
- Veena Jagtap as Nisha Singh Sekhawat (2016)
- Suzanne Bernert as Martha, Rose's mother (2016)
- Fahad Ali as Vivaan, Gayu's school friend (2016)
- Nupur Joshi as Soumya Manish Goenka, Kartik and Kirti's mother, Manish's 1st wife (2016) (dead)
- Tia Gandwani as Priyanka, Kartik's maternal aunt (masi) (2017)
- Romit Sharma as Aditya Bansal, Karthikj's former brother-in-law, Kirti's ex-husband (2017)
- Nikhil Sharma as Raghav, Naira's former friend (2017)
- Shravan Mehta as Kiran, Naira's dance partner and friend (2017)
- Bhuvan Chopra as Ratan
- Neha Sehgal as Payal
- Sonal Shrivastava as Juhi
- Gaurav Wadhwa as Subham Manish Goenka (Aryan), Suvarna and Manish's son (2017–18)
- Shubhangi Atre (Kasturi from Kasturi) (2009)
- Puja Bannerjee (Vrinda from Tujh Sang Preet Lagai Sajna) (2009)
- Shweta Tiwari (Prerna from Kasautii Zindagii Kay) (2009)
- Sara Khan (Sadhna from Sapna Babul Ka...Bidaai) (2009)
- Angad Hasija (Alekh from Sapna Babul Ka...Bidaai) (2009)
- Kinshuk Mahajan (Ranvir from Sapna Babul Ka...Bidaai) (2009)
- Anupriya Kapoor (Taani from Tere Liye) (2010)
- Neha Sargam (Nividita from Chand Chupa Badal Mein) (2010)
- Pooja Gor (Pratigya from Mann Kee Awaaz Pratigya) (2010)
- Sanaya Irani (Khushi from Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon?) (2011)
- Soumya Seth (Navya from Navya..Naye Dhadkan Naye Sawaal) (2011)
- Krystle D'Souza (Jeevika from Ek Hazaaron Mein Meri Behna Hai) (2011)
- Nia Sharma (Maanvi from Ek Hazaaron Mein Meri Behna Hai) (2011)
- Karan Tacker (Viren from Ek Hazaaron Mein Meri Behna Hai) (2011)
- Anas Rashid (Suraj from Diya Aur Baati Hum) (2012)
- Neelu Vaghela (Bhabho from Diya Aur Baati Hum) (2012)
- Aamir Khan (To promote Satyamev Jayate) (2012)
- Deepika Singh (Sandhya from Diya Aur Baati Hum) (2012, 2016)
- Preeti & Pinky (2014)
- Hiba Nawab (Amaya from Tere Sheher Mein) (2015)
- Kamalika Guha Thakurta (2016)
- Badshah (Dance Performance at Naira's sangeet) (2017)
- Shah Rukh Khan & Anushka Sharma (To promote their film Jab Harry Met Sejal) (2017)
- Akshay Kumar, Bhumi Pednekar & Sana Khan (To promote their film Toilet: Ek Prem Katha) (2017)
- Alka Yagnik (Special Performance for a tribute to Akshara on Naksh's sangeet) (2017)
- Adaa Khan (Special dance performance on valentines day) (2018)
- Supriya Pathak (to promote Kichidi) (2018)
Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai has had several crossover episodes with various shows. In 2009, the show had a connection with Sapna Babul Ka...Bidaai. In 2012, the show had a crossover episode with Diya Aur Baati Hum. In 2016, Diya Aur Baati Hum's lead actress Deepika Singh made an entry.
It is produced by Rajan Shahi's Director's Kut Productions.
Reception and impact
The show is one of the most often-awarded shows of Indian Television, and is India's longest running television series by episode count. It is the longest-running Indian television series based on episode count. Hina Khan participated in the 'Power of 49' campaign, in which soap opera actors used their influence to urge women to vote.
This section does not cite any sources. (July 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The show is also broadcast by Urdu 1 and Star Plus sister channel STAR Utsav. The show generally maintains the top spot among Indian TV serials that aired in Pakistan. The show was beaten three to four times by Kumkum Bhagya that aired on Geo Kahani but recovered its leading position. The show also recorded one of the highest TRP in Pakistan.
- "Hina Khan aka Akshara will be missed. A look at her Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai journey, see pics". Retrieved 21 November 2016.
- "There won't be a surprise comeback, says Karan Mehra as he finally quits 'Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai'". Retrieved 12 June 2016.
- Entertainment Desk (New Delhi) (26 September 2016). "Rohan Mehra aka Naksh to Quit 'Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai' for Salman Khan's Bigg Boss 10?". IndiaTVnews.com. Independent News Service. Retrieved 30 September 2016.
- "Shivangi Joshi will play the grown-up Naira". Times of India. May 3, 2016.
- "'Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai' leap: 'Dream Girl' actor Mohsin Khan to romance grown-up Naira?". International Business Times, India Edition. Retrieved 2016-06-07.
- "Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai: Parul Chauhan & Sandeep Rajora to enter Star Plus show!". India.com. 14 October 2016.
- "Sachin Tyagi in 'Yeh Rishta...'". The Times of India. 24 November 2016.
- "Yash Gera replaces Ather in Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai - Times of India".
- "BALH fame Anshul Pandey bags YRKKH".
- "Anshul Pandey talks about YRKKH".
- "Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai is a big leap for me, says Suzanne Bernert".
- "Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai's Akshara aka Hina Khan is very professional: Suzanne Bernett".
- "Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai: Naira to get kidnapped by Aditya in the show - Bollywoodlife". 20 January 2017.
- "Raghav to take a step ahead with his evil plan in Yeh Rishta". Retrieved 15 December 2017.
- "YEH RISHTA KYA KEHLATA HAI: Meet 'NEW MAN' in Naira's life". Retrieved 2 June 2017.
- "Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai Kaartik and Naaira Marriage Sangeet Badshah Performance - Jansatta". 20 January 2017.
- "GOOD NEWS ! Naagin actress Adaa Khan to ENTER STAR Plus' 'Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai'". 16 February 2018.
- "Top 12 Longest Running Shows Of Indian Television!". Bollywood Papa. Be Code Websoft India Pvt Ltd. 15 September 2016. Retrieved 5 July 2017.
- SUBHA J. RAO. "The power of a vote". The Hindu. Retrieved 12 September 2015.
- Prime Time Soap Operas on Indian Television. google.com. Retrieved 12 September 2015.