Sarah Ludford, Baroness Ludford
The Baroness Ludford
|Member of the European Parliament |
10 June 1999 – 22 May 2014
|Preceded by||Position established|
|Succeeded by||Seb Dance|
|Islington Borough Councillor|
for Clerkenwell Ward
7 November 1991 – 10 June 1999
|Preceded by||Paul Matthews|
|Succeeded by||Isabelle Humphreys|
|Born||14 March 1951|
|Political party||Liberal Democrat|
Sarah Ann Ludford, Baroness Ludford (born 14 March 1951) is a British Liberal Democrat politician and member of the House of Lords. She served as a Member of the European Parliament (MEP) for London from 1999 until 2014.
Early life and education
Her father, Joseph Ludford, sent her to the independent Portsmouth High School, before she went up to the London School of Economics, graduating as BSc and MSc. She subsequently qualified as a barrister, joining Gray's Inn in 1979.
Ludford was created a Life Peer as Baroness Ludford, of Clerkenwell in the London Borough of Islington on 30 September 1997, after serving as a Councillor for the London Borough of Islington 1991-99. She was elected MEP for London at the European Parliament election in 1999 and returned in 2004 and 2009, before losing her seat in 2014.
A 2008-rule change by the European Parliament, prevented Ludford (like other Eurodeputies) from taking her seat in the House of Lords in the UK Parliament due to her re-election to the European Parliament in the 2009 election. In October 2008, the European Parliament's rules changed precluding MEPs from the right to sit and vote in any member-state's national parliament, thus enforcing their suspension. This satisfied the new European Parliament rules and hence, Baroness Ludford, the only British parliamentarian to whom this applied at the time, was not allowed to vote in the Lords while serving as an MEP.
- Fair Trials International, Patron
- Debrett's People of Today Archived 27 May 2014 at Archive.is
- "No. 54913". The London Gazette. 7 October 1997. p. 11279.
- European Elections at London Evening Standard.
- "Sarah Ludford: my first party conference memories".
- Steven Erlanger (April 30, 2014), Outrage Across Ideological Spectrum in Europe Over Flawed Lethal Injection in U.S. New York Times.
- www.camdennewjournal.com Archived 1 January 2014 at the Wayback Machine.
- Jon Swaine and Bruno Waterfield (16 October 2009). "British MEPs exploit loophole to pay relatives to work for them" – via www.telegraph.co.uk.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sarah Ludford.|