Portsmouth High School, Southsea
Entrance to the school
|Type||Independent day school|
|Headmistress||Mrs Jane Prescott|
|Chairman of Governors||Mrs Anne McMeehan Roberts|
|Founder||Girls' Public Day School Trust|
|Colours||Maroon and Gold|
|Affiliation||Girls' Day School Trust|
|Former Students' Association||GDST Alumnae via the School|
Portsmouth High School is an independent day school for girls in Southsea, a district in the southern coastal city of Portsmouth, England. Founded by the Girls' Public Day School Trust in 1882, it is one of the Trust's smaller schools.
Portsmouth High School was founded by the Girls' Public Day School Trust (now the Girls' Day School Trust) in 1882. The school moved to its present premises on Kent Road in Southsea in 1885, when the building was opened by Princess Louise. Dovercourt, the house built and lived in by the Southsea architect Thomas Ellis Owen, was acquired for the Junior School in 1927. During World War II the school was evacuated to two country houses in Hampshire, Hinton Ampner (Junior Pupils) and Adhurst St Mary (Senior Pupils), and became a boarding school for six years. After the war, the school became a direct grant grammar school under the Education Act 1944 and became independent during the mid-1970s when the scheme was abolished.
Portsmouth High has an excellent academic track record in examinations. In 2016 percentage number of A levels graded A or A* was 43% and the number of A Levels graded A* to B was 80%. In GCSEs 68% of all grades were A*/A, 91% were A* – B and 100% were A* – C.
Notable former pupils
- Samantha Davies, Yachtswoman
- Kirsty Dillon, actress
- Nancy Edwards, Professor of Medieval Archaeology
- Anjana Gadgil, BBC Reporter and Presenter
- Meg (Margaret) Hillier, Labour MP for Hackney South and Shoreditch
- Rachel Lloyd, sex trafficking abolitionist and founder of Girls Educational and Mentoring Services
- Sarah McCarthy-Fry, Politician
- Gemma Spofforth, Olympic swimmer
- Dr. Frances Saunders, Senior Civil Servant and scientist
- Dr Jane Collins, Chief Executive, Marie Curie Cancer Care
- Dr Katharine Vincent, Expert on Sustainability and Climate Change
- Jane Hill, Author and broadcaster
- Fleur Emery, Entrepreneur Founder of Grasshopper Foods, Green & Pleasant Drinks and Emery Barnard Design.
- Charlotte Jackson British journalist and television presenter
- Margaret Rock, Bletchley Park Codebreaker (1903-1983) http://www.bletchleyparkresearch.co.uk/2012/12/13/margaret-rock-bletchley-park-codebreaker/
- http://www.isc.co.uk/schools/england/hampshire/southsea/portsmouth-high-school-gdst, Portsmouth High School GDST on the Independent Schools Council website.
- Profile on the Good Schools Guide
- "GCSEs: Portsmouth High School". The News. 26 August 2009.
- "Midsomer Murders star is proud of her Pompey roots". The News. 16 March 2011.
- "'I did believe I could win. So although losing was not a surprise it was disappointing". The News. 29 May 2010.