Scarsdale medical diet
The Scarsdale medical diet is a fad diet created in the 1970s by Dr. Herman Tarnower, and named for the town in New York in which Tarnower conducted his medical practice, described in the book The Complete Scarsdale Medical Diet plus Dr. Tarnower's Lifetime Keep-Slim Program, which Tarnower wrote with an author of self-help books, Sam Sinclair Baker.
The diet is similar to the Atkins Diet in calling for high protein and low fat and low carbohydrates, but also emphasizes fruits and vegetables. While some people lose weight at first, the loss is generally not sustained.
- Anthony Haden-Guest for New York Magazine. March 31, 1980 The Headmistress and the Diet Doctor
- Swartz, Jacqueline (March 15, 1982). "The sense and nonsense of the best-selling diet books.". Canadian Medical Association Journal (Canadian Medical Association) 126: 696–701. PMID 7066828.
- Alters S, Schiff W (22 February 2012). Chapter 10: Body Weight and Its Management. Essential Concepts for Healthy Living (Sixth ed.) (Jones & Bartlett Publishers). p. 327. ISBN 978-1-4496-3062-1.
- Fad Diets Sandra Bastin, Ph.D., R.D., L.D. Cooperative Extension Service. University of Kentucky - College of Agriculture. March 2004. Retrieved August 28, 2015
- Dr. Paul Martiquet, Medical Health Officer, Vancouver Coastal Health. Muscles for brains: How fad diets can hurt you.
- Jane E Brody for the New York Times. June 3, 1981 Personal Health: Another Entry in the Annals of Fad Diets
- Tina Gianoulis, "Dieting" in the St. James Encyclopedia of Popular Culture Ed. Thomas Riggs. Vol. 2. 2nd ed. Detroit: St. James Press, 2013. p106-108. ISBN 9781558628472
- Southern Nevada Health District. 2015 Back to the 80s: Fad Diets
- Wing, Rena R.; Epstein, Leonard H.; Shapira, Barbara (Jun 1982). "The effect of increasing initial weight loss with the Scarsdale Diet on subsequent weight loss in a behavioral treatment program.". Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology (American Psychological Association) 50 (3): 446–447. doi:10.1037/0022-006x.50.3.446.
- Herman Tarnower and Sam Sinclair Baker. The complete Scarsdale medical diet plus Dr. Tarnower's lifetime keep-slim program. Rawson, Wade Publishers; 1st edition (1978) ISBN 9780892560783