||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (January 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Born||John Paul Joseph Cadayona
March 3, 1989
Las Piñas City, Philippines
|Occupation||Actor and dancer and director|
|Years active||2009 - present|
Sef is being called as the male Sheena Halili for portraying sidekick roles in the series that he belonged to. The series where he became a sidekick are Ilumina (2010) as the best friend of Aljur Abrenica, Time of My Life (2011) as the gay best friend of Kris Bernal, Alice Bungisngis and her Wonder Walis (2012) as the sidekick of Jean Garcia; in Together Forever as best friend of Julie Ann San Jose and in Mundo Mo'y Akin (2013) as the best friend of Alden Richards' role.
Aside from his sidekick roles, Sef also is getting attention because of his gay portrayals in several GMA Network shows.
Early life and career beginnings
He was considered as one of the threats for the boys because he was very active and he excelled in almost every tasks that were being given to them. During the dancing week given Douglas Nierras as the mentor, he gave 100% of his performance and had a chance to perform on stage paired with Nina Kodaka who finished 6th in the competition. However, during that week, he was included in the bottom group where Zeryl Lim went home.
In the following week, he was again included in the bottom group together with Princess Snell and the first timer by then, Rox Montealegre, where he was declared as the fourth avenger. He accepted his fate that time with humility. He said that what happened to him is just the beginning and just pray no matter what.
2010-present: Post StarStruck
He signed a 5-year contract under GMA Artist Center together with other StarStruck V "avengers". Cadayona only wants simple things which are "great projects". He is sure that he will be taken care of and he knows that he is in good hands.
He may be one of the early evicted competitors in the said competition, but he still had a chance to be more active on television compared to some of his contemporaries. He was included in the musical variety show, Party Pilipinas, where the Final Five of StarStruck V were also included. He has also a hosting stint at Startalk together with Jan Manual and Chariz Solomon who are from the StarStruck's fourth season.
In early 2010, he already began to be an actor by having a guest role in the comedy series, Diva, as the rival of the character of the character of Mark Herras in a dance contest. He became also a guest for several episodes in the now defunct show, I Laugh Sabado wherein he portrayed different roles to show his comedic skills. In mid-2010, Sef had his first regular role through Ilumina which was shown in prime time. The said show was led by Aljur Abrenica, Jackie Rice and Rhian Ramos.
In 2011, Sef was cast in the second episode of Spooky Nights series entitled "The Ring Tone". He portrayed the role of a gay character, Vanessa. Come mid-2011, he became part of the danceserye of GMA Network following the success of Diva - Time of My Life. In December 2011, Sef had his first film through the 2011 Metro Manila Film Festival and one of the most successful movie franchises of Regal Films. The film is Shake, Rattle & Roll 13.
In 2012, Sef was part of the Bea Binene starred TV series, Alice Bungisngis and her Wonder Walis, as Tomas, one of the assistants of Esmeralda (Jean Garcia). Sef also portrayed the supporting role of Jefferson Teodoro in the weekly teen-oriented series, Together Forever as Ely and Toyang's friend. During the last quarter of the year, Sef was part in the Filipino adaptation of the hit Korean series, Coffee Prince, as Baldo, the ever loyal and overly submissive suitor of Andy's sister, Mylene.
Also in 2012 marked a milestone for Cadayona for his career in the silver-screen. He had four films in a year, including two from GMA Films (My Kontrabida Girl and Just One Summer). Sef also made two independent films, one is under the production of Cinema One entitled Slumber Party; his character was Jonel, a guy who wants to be in a frat and the part of his initiation was to sneak in a house. The other one was an entry in the New Wave Section of 2012 Metro Manila Film Festival with a title Gayak. He played a gay character, but unlike his previous gay roles which are of comic relief, his character in Gayak pleaded for sorrow and sympathy. Because of his performance in the said film, Golden Screen Awards for Movies awarded him the Breakthrough Performance by an Actor award.
Sef was cast as the teen Wally Bayola in Magpakailanman in early 2013. Along with this, he became a regular castmember in the gag show Bubble Gang because of his comedic capabilities. Aside from his weekly Friday-night stint in Bubble Gang, Sef was also hired as the gay character Stefani via Vampire Ang Daddy Ko.
When Party Pilipinas was replaced by Sunday All Stars, Sef along with most of the Party Pilipinas regulars were listed as regular performers. But since Sunday All Stars sets a different format compared to its predecessor, Sef belongs to the Tween Hearts team previously led by Jennylyn Mercado.
Currently, Sef is part of one of the high-rated primetime series in the network. In Mundo Mo'y Akin, Sef is Nonoy, who is the friend of Jerome (Alden Richards), who also works in the resort owned by the Carbonels. Nonoy knows about the special relationship between Jerome Alvarez and Darlene Carbonel (Lauren Young) and soon notices Marilyn Mendoza's (Louise de los Reyes) feelings for his friend. Nonoy has a biting and sarcastic wit, serving as somewhat of a comic relief throughout the series. Because of this, having four regular shows, Sef is one of the busiest actors of the network nowadays.
Sef is part of one of the high-rated primetime series in the network. In Because of You, Sef is Jude, who is the friend of Jaime (Gabby Concepcion), that she is just so heartthrob. Jude knows about the heart shatter Jaime Salcedo and Andrea Marquez-Salcedo (Carla Abellana) and soon proposed Oliver Dictado's (Rafael Rosell) feelings for his friend. Jaime whatever takes that Andrea still love him.
He was a grade-school graduate of Marist School in Marikina City. He finished high school in Divine Light Academy in Las Piñas City.
|2009||StarStruck V||Himself / Finalist||Co-Hostess||GMA Network|
|2010||Diva||Marlon Legaspi||Extended Cast|
|I Laugh Sabado||Various||Guest Star||Q
(now GMA News TV)
|2011||Spooky Nights: The Ringtone||Vanessa||Lead Role|
|Time Of My Life||Harry||Dance Groups / Motion Masters|
|2011/2013||Party Pilipinas||Himself / Performer||Co-Hostess|
|2012||Alice Bungisngis and her Wonder Walis||Tomas / Tom||Supporting Cast|
|Together Forever||Jefferson "Jepoy" Teodoro|
|Coffee Prince||Baldo||Recurring Characters|
|Celebrity Bluff||Himself||Celebrity Contestant|
|2013||Bubble Gang||Himself / Main Cast||Guest Appearance|
|Magpakailanman: The Wally Bayola Story||Teen Wally||Lead Role|
|Vampire Ang Daddy Ko||Stefani||Supporting Cast|
|Mundo Mo'y Akin||Nonoy Pambide||Recurring Characters|
|2013/2015||Sunday All Stars||Himself / Performer||Co-Hostess|
|Magpakailanman: Habang Buhay Na Maghihintay||Rolly||Lead Role|
|2015||Eat Bulaga Lenten Special: Sukli ng Pagmamahal||Budong||Guest Stars|
|Maynila: Once Princess||Nanding||Lead Role|
|Maynila: Edi Wow||Dave|
|Sabado Badoo||Host||Guest Stars / Appearance|
|My Faithful Husband||Jerome Dela Paz||Extended Cast|
|Juan Tamad||Juan||Main Cast|
|Because of You||Jude Marquez-Salcedo||Extended Cast|
|2016||Dear Uge||Kevin||Lead Role|
|A1 Ko Sa 'Yo||Enzo||Supporting Cast|
|Laff, Camera, Action!||Segment Host||Guest Stars / Final Appearance|
|2017||Meant To Be||Bats Bendiola||Supporting Cast|
|2014||My Big Bossing's Adventures|
|My Lady Boss||GMA Films|
|2012||Boy Pick-Up: The Movie||Fish Vendor|
|Slumber Party||Jonel||Cinema One Originals (presents)
Christian Diamzon Pictures
|Just One Summer||Jason||GMA Films|
|My Kontrabida Girl||Dex|
|2010||You To Me Are Everything||Sef||Regal Films & GMA Films|
- StarStruck Season 5 Finals Night (GMA 7)
- Bubble Gang 15th Anniversary Special (GMA 7, 2009)
- Lucky' 09: The 2009 GMA New Year's Countdown (January 2009)
- GMA @ 60: The GMA 60th Anniversary TV Special (GMA 7, 2010)
- Prosperity In 2010: The 2010 GMA New Year's Countdown (GMA 7, January 2010)
- 2010 To '11: The GMA New Year Countdown (GMA 7, January 2011)
- Countdown to 2012: The GMA New Year Special (GMA 7, January 2012)
- Party Pilipinas Anniversary Special (GMA 7, 2011-2013)
- 27th PMPC Star Awards For TV (ABS-CBN 2, 2013) - Cameo (Sef's 1st ABS-CBN 2 Appearance)
- Win Na Win Sa 2013: The GMA New Year Countdown (GMA 7, January 2013)
- Sunday All Stars Anniversary Special (GMA 7, 2013-2015)
- 28th PMPC Star Awards For TV (ABS-CBN 2, 2014) - Cameo
- Countdown To 2014: The GMA New Year Special (GMA 7, January 2014)
- Countdown To 2015: The GMA New Year Special (GMA 7, January 2015)
- Thank You Kapuso: GMA Fans Day 2015: The GMA 65th Anniversary TV Special (GMA 7, July 2015)
- IMBG 20: Bubble Gang 20th Anniversary Documentary Special - (GMA 7, November 2015)
- 21 Gang Salute: Bubble Gang 21st Anniversary Documentary Special - (GMA 7, November 2016)
- The Magic Of Christmas: The 2016 GMA Christmas Special - (GMA 7, December 2016)
- Lipad Sa 2017: The 2017 GMA New Year Countdown Special - (GMA 7, January 2017)
Awards and nominations
|2013||1st Sunday All Stars Awards||Stand Out Season Performer||None||Nominated|
|10th Golden Screen Awards for Movies||Breakthrough Performance by an Actor||Gayak||Won|
|2014||5th Golden Screen Awards for TV||Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Gag or Comedy Show||Bubble Gang||Won|
|28th Star Awards for TV||Best Comedy Actor||Won|
|40th Metro Manila Film festival||Festival Best Supporting Actor||My Big Bossing's Adventure: Prinsesa||Nominated|
|2015||6th Golden Screen Television Awards||Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Gag/Comedy Program||Bubble Gang||Won|
|29th PMPC Star Awards for Television||Best Comedy Actor||Nominated|
- Mendoza, Ruel J. (October 7, 2012). "Sef Cadayona is getting the tag "lalaking Sheena Halili" for playing best-friend and sidekick roles on Kapuso shows". Philippine Entertainment Portal.
- "The 'StarStruck' Journey ends for Sef Cadayona". iGMA.tv. December 29, 2009.
- "Sef Cadayona bids StarStruck V goodbye". Philippine Entertainment Portal. December 29, 2009.
- "'StarStruck V' Avengers to sign with GMA Artist Center". iGMA.tv. March 1, 2010.
- "Cinema One Originals 2012: Slumber Party movie review". Blogspot.com. December 6, 2012.
|last1=in Authors list (help)
- San Diego, Bayani, Jr. (January 13, 2013). "Hot duds for cool dude Cadayona". Inquirer.net.
- Garcia, Rose (June 14, 2013). "Sef Cadayona wants to do another indie film after breakthrough performance award". Philippine Entertainment Portal.
- "10th Golden Screen Awards". Yahoo! OMG! Philippines. April 29, 2013.
- Brosas, Alex Valentin (December 2, 2009). "Rocco Nacino, Sef Cadayona aim for fame". Manila Bulletin Publishing Corporation.