Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai
|Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai|
First light novel volume cover
(Seishun Buta Yarō)
|Written by||Hajime Kamoshida|
|Illustrated by||Keeji Mizoguchi|
|Published by||ASCII Media Works|
|Original run||April 2014 – present|
|Written by||Hajime Kamoshida|
|Illustrated by||Tsugumi Nanamiya|
|Published by||ASCII Media Works|
|Magazine||Dengeki G's Comic|
|Original run||January 2016 – present|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Sōichi Masui|
|Written by||Masahiro Yokotani|
|Music by||fox capture plan|
|Original network||ABC, Tokyo MX, Gunma TV, Tochigi TV, BS11, Mētele, AT-X|
|Original run||October 4, 2018 – present|
Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai,[a] known in Japan under the general name Seishun Buta Yarō (Japanese: 青春ブタ野郎), is a Japanese light novel series written by Hajime Kamoshida and illustrated by Keeji Mizoguchi. ASCII Media Works have published eight volumes since April 2014 under their Dengeki Bunko imprint. A manga adaptation with art by Tsugumi Nanamiya has been serialized in ASCII Media Works' seinen manga magazine Dengeki G's Comic since January 2016. An anime television series adaptation by CloverWorks premiered on October 4, 2018. An anime film adaptation titled Seishun Buta Yarō wa Yumemiru Shōjo no Yume o Minai will premiere in 2019.
Sakuta Azusagawa's life takes a turn for the unexpected when he meets teenage actress Mai Sakurajima, who wanders into a library dressed as a bunny girl. Mai is intrigued that Sakuta is the only one who can see her, as other people are unable to see her, even when she is dressing normally or attempting to stay away from celebrity life. Calling this phenomenon "Adolescence Syndrome", Sakuta decides to solve this mystery, while continuing to get closer to Mai and meeting other girls who suffer from "Adolescence Syndrome" as well.
- Sakuta Azusagawa (梓川 咲太 Azusagawa Sakuta)
- Voiced by: Kaito Ishikawa
- Harboring a bad reputation after allegedly hospitalizing three people, Sakuta attempts to keep a low profile until his meeting with Mai prompts him to investigate Adolescence Syndrome. His sister Kaede's Adolescence Syndrome affected him as well, suffering three cuts to his chest.
- Mai Sakurajima (桜島 麻衣 Sakurajima Mai)
- Voiced by: Asami Seto
- Tired from the pressures of her acting work, Mai decides to take a hiatus but suddenly realizes people are unable to acknowledge her existence, except Sakuta, who agrees to help figure out what's happening, all while she continues to get closer to him. She first meets Sakuta at a library, while she was wearing a bunny girl outfit to test if people would notice her. Mai is the focal character of the first light novel.
- Kaede Azusagawa (梓川 かえで Azusagawa Kaede)
- Voiced by: Yurika Kubo
- Sakuta's younger sister and another victim of Adolescence Syndrome, Kaede mysteriously began to suffer injuries after suffering online bullying and getting death threats on her cellphone that left her with a phobia of strangers. She only made a recovery after she stopped using social media or going to school. After that, she stays at Sakuta's apartment, with only her cat to keep her company. She is extremely fond of her brother and frequently climbs into bed with him while he is sleeping. Kaede is the focal character of the fifth light novel.
- Tomoe Koga (古賀 朋絵 Koga Tomoe)
- Voiced by: Nao Tōyama
- The focal character of the second light novel, Tomoe is a first year student at Sakuta's high school. She initially meets Sakuta at a park while he was trying to help a young girl look for her mother, which leads Tomoe to accuse Sakuta of being a pedophile.
- Rio Futaba (双葉 理央 Futaba Rio)
- Voiced by: Atsumi Tanezaki
- The focal character of the third light novel, Rio is the sole member of the science club at Sakuta and Mai's high school and one of Sakuta's only friends. She firmly believes Adolescence Syndrome is a myth.
- Nodoka Toyohama (豊浜 のどか Toyohama Nodoka)
- Voiced by: Maaya Uchida
- The focal character of the fourth light novel, Nodoka is Mai's half-sister and a member of an idol group.
- Shoko Makinohara (牧之原 翔子 Makinohara Shōko)
- Voiced by: Inori Minase
- The focal character of the sixth and seventh light novels, Shoko has the same name as Sakuta's first crush. She is a shy middle school student who bumps into Sakuta during a rain storm. It is later revealed that she is the Shoko that Sakuta met during his childhood, but had moved away to recover from a heart transplant.
- Yūma Kunimi (国見 佑真 Kunimi Yūma)
- Voiced by: Yuuma Uchida
- Sakuta's best friend. He is dating Saki Kamisato.
- Saki Kamisato (上里 沙希 Kamisato Saki)
- Voiced by: Himika Akaneya
- Saki is Yūma's girlfriend. She hates Sakuta and wishes he would stop being Yuma's friend as his status as the class loner is making Yuma, and more importantly, herself less popular as well.
- Fumika Nanjō (南条 文香 Nanjō Fumika)
- Voiced by: Satomi Satō
- Fumika is a reporter who is interested in Adolescence Syndrome and believes the scars on Sakuta's chest were somehow caused by it.
Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai is written by Hajime Kamoshida and features illustrations by Keeji Mizoguchi. ASCII Media Works have published nine volumes since April 2014 under their Dengeki Bunko imprint.
|1||Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai|
Seishun Buta Yarō wa Banīgāru Senpai no Yume o Minai (青春ブタ野郎はバニーガール先輩の夢を見ない)
|April 10, 2014||ISBN 9784048664875|
|2||Rascal Does Not Dream of Little Devil Kohai|
Seishun Buta Yarō wa Puchidebiru Kōhai no Yume o Minai (青春ブタ野郎はプチデビル後輩の夢を見ない)
|September 9, 2014||ISBN 9784048668088|
|3||Rascal Does Not Dream of a Logical Witch|
Seishun Buta Yarō wa Rojikaru Witchi no Yume o Minai (青春ブタ野郎はロジカルウィッチの夢を見ない)
|January 10, 2015||ISBN 9784048691734|
|4||Rascal Does Not Dream of an Idol With a Sister Complex|
Seishun Buta Yarō wa Shisukon Aidoru no Yume o Minai (青春ブタ野郎はシスコンアイドルの夢を見ない)
|May 9, 2015||ISBN 9784048651356|
|5||Rascal Does Not Dream of a House-sitting Little Sister|
Seishun Buta Yarō wa Orusuban Imōto no Yume o Minai (青春ブタ野郎はおるすばん妹の夢を見ない)
|September 10, 2015||ISBN 9784048653947|
|6||Rascal Does Not Dream of a Dreaming Girl|
Seishun Buta Yarō wa Yumemiru Shōjo no Yume o Minai (青春ブタ野郎はゆめみる少女の夢を見ない)
|June 10, 2016||ISBN 9784048658911|
|7||Rascal Does Not Dream of a Girl Experiencing Her First Love|
Seishun Buta Yarō wa Hatsukoi Shōjo no Yume o Minai (青春ブタ野郎はハツコイ少女の夢を見ない)
|October 8, 2016||ISBN 9784048922814|
|8||Rascal Does Not Dream of a Sister on an Outing|
Seishun Buta Yarō wa Dekake Shisutā no Yume o Minai (青春ブタ野郎はおでかけシスターの夢を見ない)
|April 10, 2018||ISBN 9784048935852|
|9||Rascal Does Not Dream of a Girl with a Leather Backpack|
Seishun Buta Yarō wa Randoseru Gāru no Yume o Minai (青春ブタ野郎はランドセルガールの夢を見ない)
|October 10, 2018||ISBN 9784049120172|
|1||Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai 1|
Seishun Buta Yarō wa Banīgāru Senpai no Yume o Minai 1 (青春ブタ野郎はバニーガール先輩の夢を見ない 1)
|October 8, 2016||ISBN 9784048924801|
|2||Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai 2|
Seishun Buta Yarō wa Banīgāru Senpai no Yume o Minai 2 (青春ブタ野郎はバニーガール先輩の夢を見ない 2)
|October 10, 2018||ISBN 9784049120684|
|3||Rascal Does Not Dream of Little Devil Kohai 1|
Seishun Buta Yarō wa Puchidebiru Kōhai no Yume o Minai 1 (青春ブタ野郎はプチデビル後輩の夢を見ない 1)
|October 10, 2018||ISBN 9784049120707|
A 13-episode anime television series adaptation titled Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai premiered on October 4, 2018 on ABC and other channels.[b] The series will be animated by CloverWorks and directed by Sōichi Masui, with Kazuya Iwata as assistant director, Masahiro Yokotani handling series composition, and Satomi Tamura designing the characters. fox capture plan is composing the series' music. Satomi Tamura will also serve as the chief animation director along with Akira Takata. The anime series adapts the series' first through fifth volumes. The opening theme is "Kimi no Sei" (君のせい) by The Peggies, and the ending theme is "Fukashigi no Karte" (不可思議のカルテ) by Asami Seto, Yurika Kubo, Nao Tōyama, Atsumi Tanezaki, Maaya Uchida, and Inori Minase under their character names. Aniplex of America has licensed the series and it is streamed on Crunchyroll.
An anime film adaptation titled Seishun Buta Yarō wa Yumemiru Shōjo no Yume o Minai (青春ブタ野郎はゆめみる少女の夢を見ない) will premiere in 2019. The film will adapt the series' sixth and seventh volumes.
|No.||Title[c]||Director||Writer||Original air date||Ref.|
|1||"My Senpai is a Bunny Girl"|
"Senpai wa Banī Gāru" (先輩はバニーガール)
|Kazuya Iwata||Masahiro Yokotani||October 4, 2018|||
|Sakuta Azusagawa recalls a girl saying "kiss" but wonders who she is. Referring to his diary, he recalls that he sees Mai Sakurajima, a senior and teen celebrity, wearing a bunny girl costume in public and realizes only he can see her. Mai warns him to forget about her. Sakuta learns from his friend Yuma that Mai has taken a break from acting to attend school and has made no friends. Sakuta is warned by Yuma's girlfriend Saki to stop being Yuma's friend, as Sakuta's reputation following a violent incident is making Yuma, and thus herself, less popular. Sakuta rides the train with Mai and she reveals she heard about the incident where he supposedly put three people in hospital. Sakuta confirms it is untrue but feels it is pointless to argue against rumors. Mai explains that after she stopped acting people became unable to see her in certain locations and has been using the conspicuous bunny girl costume to identify areas where she is invisible. Sakuta believes she has Adolescence Syndrome, an urban legend about special powers. Sakuta shows her three mystery scars on his chest and introduces her to his sister, Kaede, who suffers from the syndrome. Kaede was a victim of online bullying and as the bullying grew worse it caused wounds to appear on her body, but the wounds stopped after she stopped using the internet. Sakuta believes Mai will become visible again if she returns to acting but she refuses and leaves. Sakuta is approached by reporter Fumika Nanjo who wants to interview him about his scars, but he refuses. After speaking with Rio Futaba from the Science Club he realises that Mai might disappear completely unless she starts acting again. He finds her outside his apartment and she reveals the areas where she is invisible have grown and begun causing her problems.|
|2||"Commotions are Inevitable for First Dates"|
"Hatsu Dēto ni Haran wa Tsukimono" (初デートに波乱は付き物)
|Kazuki Horiguchi||Masahiro Yokotani||October 11, 2018|||
|Rio Futaba explains her understanding of "Adolescence Syndrome" using quantum mechanics and Schrödinger's cat. Sakuta continues discussing with Mai about her situation. Sakuta reveals he gets to know about Mai's conflict with her manager (also her mother) from Nanjo, with the cost of offering the photo of his scars. Mai then contacts Mai, requesting the latter not to publicize Sakuta's photo, with the cost of offering her exclusive interview about her decision to return to entertainments - not through her mother. Mai then makes an appointment with Sakuta to go out with her, but denying it is a date. When they go out together, Mai also makes appointment to meet with her mother, to inform the latter about her decision. However, even her mother cannot see her, even does not remember her. Sakuta then decides to bring Mai to travel farther to find out whether there are anyone else who can see her and remember her, but in vain. At night, they have to rest in the same room in the hotel. When Mai is taking a bath, Sakuta contacts Yuma and Rio, and finds they still remembered Mai. Then Sakuta and Mai sleep on the same bed, and discusses whether Sakuta would forget her, too. Mai proposes to kiss with Sakuta, shown in the beginning of episode 1, but Sakuta chooses not to.|
|3||"The World Without You"|
"Kimi Dake ga Inai Sekai" (君だけがいない世界)
|Masaki Shinohara||Masahiro Yokotani||October 18, 2018|||
|4||"There is No Tomorrow for Rascal"|
"Buta Yarō ni wa Ashita ga Nai" (ブタ野郎には明日がない)
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (October 2018)
- This title is a translation of the light novel series' first volume, Seishun Buta Yarō wa Banī Gāru Senpai no Yume o Minai (青春ブタ野郎はバニーガール先輩の夢を見ない)
- The TV network lists the show at 26:15 on October 3, which is October 4, 2018 at 2:15 a.m.
- All English episode titles are taken from Crunchyroll.
- "Aniplex of America Adds Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai and DAKAICHI – I'm being harassed by the sexiest man of the year - to Fall 2018 Anime Line-Up". Anime News Network. September 22, 2018. Retrieved October 7, 2018.
- "青春ブタ野郎はバニーガール先輩の夢を見ない 5" (in Japanese). Aniplex. Retrieved October 8, 2018.
- Sherman, Jennifer (August 27, 2018). "Seishun Buta Yarō Anime Reveals Video, Additional Cast, Songs". Anime News Network. Retrieved August 27, 2018.
- "青春ブタ野郎はバニーガール先輩の夢を見ない". Kadokawa. Retrieved October 8, 2018.
- "青春ブタ野郎はランドセルガールの夢を見ない". Kadokawa. Retrieved October 8, 2018.
- "青春ブタ野郎はプチデビル後輩の夢を見ない". Kadokawa. Retrieved October 8, 2018.
- "青春ブタ野郎はロジカルウィッチの夢を見ない". Kadokawa. Retrieved October 8, 2018.
- "青春ブタ野郎はシスコンアイドルの夢を見ない". Kadokawa. Retrieved October 8, 2018.
- "青春ブタ野郎はおるすばん妹の夢を見ない". Kadokawa. Retrieved October 8, 2018.
- "青春ブタ野郎はゆめみる少女の夢を見ない". Kadokawa. Retrieved October 8, 2018.
- "青春ブタ野郎はハツコイ少女の夢を見ない". Kadokawa. Retrieved October 8, 2018.
- "青春ブタ野郎はおでかけシスターの夢を見ない". Kadokawa. Retrieved October 8, 2018.
- "新連載『青春ブタ野郎はバニーガール先輩の夢を見ない』電撃G'sコミック1月号連載分をチラ見せ! 図書館で出会ったのは野生のバニーガール!?" (in Japanese). ASCII Media Works. December 1, 2015. Retrieved October 8, 2018.
- Pineda, Rafael Antonio (August 8, 2015). "Punch Line TV Anime Gets Manga This Fall". Anime News Network. Retrieved March 10, 2018.
- "青春ブタ野郎はバニーガール先輩の夢を見ない 1" (in Japanese). Kadokawa. Retrieved October 8, 2018.
- "青春ブタ野郎はバニーガール先輩の夢を見ない 2" (in Japanese). Kadokawa. Retrieved October 8, 2018.
- "青春ブタ野郎はプチデビル後輩の夢を見ない 1" (in Japanese). Kadokawa. Retrieved October 8, 2018.
- Hodgkins, Crystalyn (March 10, 2018). "Seishun Buta Yarō Light Novel Series Gets TV Anime". Anime News Network. Retrieved March 10, 2018.
- Pineda, Rafael Antonio (August 14, 2018). "Seishun Buta Yarō Anime Premieres on October 3". Anime News Network. Retrieved August 14, 2018.
- Sherman, Jennifer (July 9, 2018). "Seishun Buta Yarō Anime Reveals Visual, Staff". Anime News Network. Retrieved July 9, 2018.
- Loo, Egan (July 28, 2018). "Seishun Buta Yarō Anime Unveils 1st Promo Video, Ending Song". Anime News Network. Retrieved July 28, 2018.
- Ressler, Karen (October 2, 2018). "Crunchyroll Adds DAKAICHI, Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai Anime Simulcasts". Anime News Network. Retrieved October 2, 2018.
- Ressler, Karen (September 22, 2018). "Aniplex of America Announces DAKAICHI, Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai Anime for Fall Season". Anime News Network. Retrieved October 2, 2018.
- Loo, Egan (September 15, 2018). "Seishun Buta Yarō Anime Gets Theatrical Film Project in 2019". Anime News Network. Retrieved September 15, 2018.
- "先輩はバニーガール". Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai Official Site (in Japanese). Aniplex. Retrieved October 8, 2018.
- "水曜アニメ・水もん 青春ブタ野郎はバニーガール先輩の夢を見ない" (in Japanese). Asashi TV. Retrieved October 8, 2018.
- "初デートに波乱は付き物". Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai Official Site (in Japanese). Aniplex. Retrieved October 8, 2018.
- "水曜アニメ・水もん 青春ブタ野郎はバニーガール先輩の夢を見ない" (in Japanese). Asashi TV. Retrieved October 8, 2018.
- "初デートに波乱は付き物". Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai Official Site (in Japanese). Aniplex. Retrieved October 16, 2018.