X9 / 19 November 2015
Windows XP SP3|
|License||Proprietary commercial software|
PagePlus is a desktop publishing (page layout) program developed by Serif for Microsoft Windows. The first version was released in 1991 as the first commercial sub-£100 DTP package for Microsoft Windows. The latest release is PagePlus X9, which was released in November 2015.
Serif was founded in 1987 by a small team of software engineers who wanted to create the first low-cost alternative to the high-end desktop publishing packages used by professionals.
The first product to be released was called PageStar – a simple low cost display advertisement layout program for Windows 2.0 – which was the forerunner to PagePlus. The first release of PagePlus was launched in 1990 and was the first sub-£100 desktop publishing program for Windows 3.0. Three years later, in spring 1993, PagePlus 2 was released and provided full colour printing support. Since then, a new version of the product has been released more or less annually.
The latest version – PagePlus X9 – is the last of the PagePlus line. Serif have dropped further development of all "Plus" products (including Serif's vector graphics editor, DrawPlus, which was launched as an accompanying product to PagePlus in 1994) to focus efforts on their Affinity products.
There is currently no definite release date for Affinity Publisher, and it is not likely to appear before 2018.  As of November 2017, PagePlus X9 was available at a very heavily discounted price from Serif at http://www.serif.com/pageplus/.
While PagePlus is generally targeted at the "entry level" DTP user, some of the functionality present in the market leading applications (Quark's XPress and Adobe's InDesign) is present in PagePlus, such as working in the CMYK colour space, OpenType Feature support, and Optical margin alignment (Optical Justification). PagePlus also has the ability to view, create, edit and publish PDF files, and publish E-books in *.epub or *mobi formats suitable for the Kindle store. It also includes support for EPUB3 fixed layout eBooks for textbooks, children’s books etc.
PagePlus is primarily written in C++ using Visual Studio 2008, with a heavy dependence on the MFC framework. The Windows GDI library was discarded early in development in favour of an in-house composition engine supporting advanced bitmap and typeface operations. The text engine supports Unicode text entry.
This section contains content that is written like an advertisement. (December 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- PagePlus: 1990
- PagePlus 2: 1993
- PagePlus 3: 1994
- PagePlus 4: 1996
- PagePlus 5: 1997
- PagePlus 6: 1999
- PagePlus 7: 1 October 2000
- PagePlus 8: 2001
- PagePlus 8: PDF Edition, 9 September 2002
- PagePlus 9: September 2003
- PagePlus 10: 11 October 2004
- PagePlus 11: 3 October 2005
- PagePlus X2: 19 February 2007
- PagePlus X3: 21 April 2008
- PagePlus X4: 11 September 2009
- PagePlus X5: 18 October 2010
- PagePlus X6: 5 December 2011
- PagePlus X7: 3 June 2013
- PagePlus X8: 4 August 2014
- PagePlus X9: 16 November 2015
- Comparison of desktop publishing software
- Desktop publishing
- DrawPlus – vector graphics editor
- List of desktop publishing software
- "PagePlus X9 – Easy-to-use desktop publishing software". Serif.com. Retrieved 28 February 2016.
- MEB. "Affinity Publisher". Affinity Forum. Retrieved 5 June 2017.
- "DTP is alive and flourishing". Archived from the original on 2 September 2011. Retrieved 6 December 2009.
- Jason Whittaker. "Serif PagePlus X2 Review: - Software and Services – Graphics & Publishing – PC World Australia". Pcworld.idg.com.au. Archived from the original on 29 November 2007. Retrieved 28 February 2016.
- Bhikkhu Pesala. "PagePlus". Softerviews.org. Retrieved 28 February 2016.
- "Serif PagePlus". Serif. 2015. Retrieved 6 October 2015.
- "Affordable Desktop Publishing From Serif". Serif.com. PC Mag. 2015. Retrieved 28 February 2016.
- "#1 DTP product on TopTenReviews.com". TopTenReviews.com. 2015. Retrieved 28 February 2016.
- "Serif PagePlus Press Release". Serif.com. 2015. Retrieved 28 February 2016.
- "Serif PagePlus Reviews". Serif.com. 2015. Retrieved 28 February 2016.