Seventy-fourth session of the United Nations General Assembly
|Seventy-fourth session of the United Nations General Assembly|
|Host country||United Nations|
|Venue(s)||United Nations Headquarters|
|Cities||New York City, United States|
|Participants||United Nations Member States|
The theme for the 74th Session is "Effective responses to global crises: strengthening multilateralism and dialogue among civilizations for international peace, security and development."
Organisation for the session
On 4 June 2019, Nigerian diplomat and politician Tijjani Muhammad-Bande was elected by acclamation to the position of President of the General Assembly. At the time of his election, Muhammad-Bande was serving as Nigeria’s Permanent Representative to the United Nations.
In his first speech as President-elect of the General Assembly, Muhammad-Bande laid out some of his priorities for the session. Paramount among them was the need to meet the Sustainable Development Goals, with particular attention being paid to peace and security, poverty eradication, zero hunger, quality education and climate action. He also pledged to focus on the promotion of human rights, as well as the empowerment of women and youth and gender parity in the United Nations system.
As well as the following nations:
The following were elected as Chairs and officers of the General Assembly's Main Committees for the 74th Session:
|H.E. Sacha Llorenty Solíz||Bolivia (Plurinational State of)||Chair|
|Honorine Bonkoungou||Burkina Faso||Vice-Chair|
|H.E. Cheikh Niang||Senegal||Chair|
|Ahmad Saif al-Kuwari||Qatar||Vice-Chair|
|Yuliana Zhivkova Angelova||Bulgaria||Vice-Chair|
|H.E. Christian Braun||Luxembourg||Chairperson|
|María Emilia Eyheralde||Uruguay||Vice-Chair|
|Firas Hassan Jabbar||Iraq||Rapporteur|
|H.E. Mohammed Hussein Bahr Aluloom||Iraq||Chairperson|
|Juan Antonio Benard Estrada||Guatemala||Rapporteur|
|H.E. Andreas Mavroyiannis||Cyprus||Chairperson|
|Mohamed Fouad Ahmed||Egypt||Vice-Chair|
|Luiz Feldman (17 September – 18 October 2019)||Brazil||Vice-Chair|
|Thiago Poggio Padua (18 October 2019 – Present)|
|H.E. Michal Mlynár||Slovakia||Chairperson|
|Pablo Arrocha Olabuenaga||Mexico||Vice-Chair|
|Mohamed Hamad Al-Thani||Qatar||Rapporteur|
As is tradition before each session of the General Assembly, the Secretary-General drew lots to see which member state would occupy the first seat in the General Assembly Chamber, with the other member states following according to the English translation of their name. For the 74th Session, Ghana was selected to sit in the first seat by Secretary-General António Guterres. This same order is followed in the six main committees, as well as other United Nations bodies.
Each member of the General Assembly will have a representative speaking about issues concerning their country and the hopes for the coming year as to what the UNGA will do. This is an opportunity for the member states to opine on international issues of their concern. The General Debate will occur from the 24th of September to the 30th of September 2019.
The order of speakers is given first to member states, then observer states and supranational bodies. Any other observers entities will have a chance to speak at the end of the debate if they so choose. Speakers will be put on the list in the order of their request, with special consideration for ministers and other government officials of similar or higher rank. According to the rules in place for the General Debate, the statements should be in one of the United Nations official languages of Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian or Spanish, and will be translated by the United Nations translators. Each speaker is requested to provide 20 advance copies of their statements to the conference officers to facilitate translation and to be presented at the podium. Speeches are requested to be limited to five minutes, with seven minutes for supranational bodies.
The following are resolutions the General Assembly has passed in its 74th session.
|Resolution||Date||Plenary or Committee||Agenda Item||Vote||Passed||Topic|
- "74th session". United Nations General Assembly. United Nations General Assembly. n.d. Retrieved 2 April 2020.
- United Nations (4 June 2019). "Delegates Elect Permanent Representative of Nigeria President of Seventy-Fourth General Assembly by Acclamation, Also Choosing 20 Vice-Presidents". United Nations Meetings Coverage & Press Releases. United Nations. Retrieved 15 September 2019.
- Muhammad-Bande, Tijjani (4 June 2019). Tijjani Muhammad Bande (President-elect of the General Assembly) on his election as the President of the 74th session of the General Assembly (Speech). United Nations General Assembly Meeting. New York: United Nations. Retrieved 13 September 2019.
- Tijjani Muhammad-Bande (n.d.). "Vision Statement by the Permanent Representative of Nigeria to the United Nations, Ambassador Tijjani Muhammad-Bande as Candidate for President of the 74th Session of the General Assembly" (PDF). General Assembly of the United Nations. United Nations. Retrieved 13 September 2019.
- "Delegates Handbook: Seventy-fourth session of the United Nations General Assembly" (PDF). United Nations General Assembly. United Nations. 2019. p. 21. Retrieved 17 September 2019.
- Manhire, Vanessa, ed. (2019). United Nations Handbook 2019-20 (PDF) (77th ed.). Wellington: Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade of New Zealand. pp. 18–25. ISSN 0110-1951.
- "Disarmament and International Security (First Committee): Bureau of the 74th Session". United Nations General Assembly. United Nations. n.d. Retrieved 2 April 2020.
- "Economic and Financial Committee (Second Committee: Bureau of the 74th Session". United Nations General Assembly. United Nations. n.d. Retrieved 2 April 2020.
- "Social, Humanitarian & Cultural Issues (Third Committee): Bureau of the 74th Session". United Nations General Assembly. United Nations. n.d. Retrieved 2 April 2020.
- "Special Political and Decolonization (Fourth Committee): Bureau of the 74th Session". United Nations General Assembly. United Nations. n.d. Retrieved 2 April 2020.
- "Administrative and Budgetary Committee (Fifth Committee): Bureau of the Fifth Committee of the 74th Session". United Nations General Assembly. United Nations. n.d. Retrieved 2 April 2020.
- "Sixth Committee (Legal) — 74th session: Bureau". United Nations General Assembly. United Nations. n.d. Retrieved 2 April 2020.
- "63rd Session of the Executive Committee of the High Commissioner's Programme: Information Note" (PDF). United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees. United Nations. n.d. Retrieved 14 September 2019.
- "63rd Session of the Executive Committee of the High Commissioner's Programme, Geneva, 1 - 5 October 2012" (PDF). Unhcr.org. Retrieved 14 September 2019.