Sharp Chula Vista Medical Center
|Hospital within Sharp HealthCare system|
|Founded||Chula Vista, California (1989 — within Sharp HealthCare)|
|Headquarters||Chula Vista, USA|
|Website||Sharp Chula Vista Medical Center official site|
Sharp Chula Vista Medical Center is most comprehensive medical center in Chula Vista, California, in the United States. Founded in 1979, Sharp Chula Vista is part of Sharp HealthCare, a San Diego health care company. Sharp Chula Vista features 343 beds, including 100 skilled nursing beds and 9 neonatal intensive care unit beds.
Sharp Chula Vista Medical Center began in San Diego’s South Bay as an old 2-story house converted into a 14-bed nursing home during World War II. It later expanded and became licensed for acute care, then called Chula Vista Hospital.
Over the years, the hospital grew to meet the area’s demands, adding a cardiac program and a convalescent center, among other amenities and services. In 1989, the board of directors affiliated the hospital with Sharp HealthCare and it became known as Sharp Chula Vista Medical Center.
In 2012, Sharp Chula Vista expanded and renovated its Emergency Department, which has more than 50,000 patient visits a year. The ED features 48 patient care beds, and Rapid Medical Evaluation for minor injuries and illnesses.
Also in 2012, Sharp Chula Vista opened the Douglas & Nancy Barnhart Cancer Center, which features cancer care in an environment designed for healing. The Barnhart Cancer Center is the first in San Diego to offer the TrueBeam STx™ radiotherapy/radiosurgery system as well as radiation therapy suites. The cancer treatment program at Sharp Chula Vista is certified by the American College of Surgeons and National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC).
Sharp Chula Vista Medical Center has more than 450 affiliated physicians and 1,400 staff members, and treats more than 80,000 patients each year.
Sharp Chula Vista is a 343-bed hospital with the largest array of health care services in San Diego’s South Bay. Home to a comprehensive cardiac program, it also has a Certified Community Hospital Cancer Program and accredited Breast Center by the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC).
Sharp Chula Vista offers open-heart surgery, cardiac catheterization, angioplasty, coronary stents and vascular surgery, as well as mechanical assist devices for the support of the heart and lungs.
The hospital’s Emergency Department (ED) treats more than 50,000 patients every year. In 2012, the ED was expanded and renovated to include 48 emergency treatment beds, a more comfortable waiting area, and increased privacy.
The Douglas & Nancy Barnhart Cancer Center at Sharp Chula Vista Medical Center, opened in 2012, offers cancer care featuring advanced treatment technology, and a unique healing environment. Using the latest technology in cancer treatment, the TrueBeam STx™ radiotherapy/radiosurgery system, treatments offered at the Barnhart Cancer Center include intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT), image-guided radiation therapy (IGRT), stereotactic radiosurgery (SRS) and high dose rate (HDR) brachytherapy. With this technology, neuro-oncology and other highly specialized cancer treatments are possible.
Sharp Chula Vista's surgical equipment for the operating suites includes the da Vinci® Si Surgical System to perform robotic, minimally invasive surgery, including single-site surgery for gall bladder removal. An Outpatient Surgery Center is also located on the hospital campus.
The Bloodless Medicine and Surgery Center at Sharp Chula Vista is open to patients who, for religious or personal reasons, wish to avoid the use of blood transfusions during surgery. More than 90 physicians in 16 specialties, including cardiology, obstetrics and orthopedics provide transfusion-free surgery at the request of their patients.
Together, the 457 physicians and 1,400 health care professionals at Sharp Chula Vista provide care for more than 80,000 people each year.
- The Douglas & Nancy Barnhart Cancer Center is the first in San Diego to offer TrueBeam STx radiotherapy/radiosurgery for cancer treatment
- The first hospital in San Diego County to perform transoral robotic surgery (TORS) for cancerous and benign oral tumors
- The first area hospital to have an EMI total body scanner
- The first area hospital to offer the da Vinci Si Robotic Surgical System
- The first to pilot a medication reconciliation program to employ bilingual pharmacy technicians during admission to the hospital to help reduce medication errors
- The first hospital in San Diego County to install the GE Innova 3100 cardiac catheterization lab, which allows doctors to treat blockages beyond the heart and reduce radiation exposure to patients and staff
- The first to implement infusion-pump wireless technology to increase medication safety with better data and recording of medication infusions
- The first in the region to use a state-of-the-art nuclear medicine camera used to scan bones, lungs, organs and the brain
- The first area hospital to offer intensity-modulated radiation therapy, allowing radiation to be administered to some cancer patients with a high dosage to the tumor and a lower dose to surrounding healthy tissue
- Bloodless Medicine and Surgery Center
- Chest Pain Center
- Douglas & Nancy Barnhart Cancer Center
- Emergency and Critical Care Services
- Heart and Vascular Services
- Integrative Therapies like Healing Touch and Aromatherapy
- Intensive Care
- Interventional Radiology
- Outpatient Services
- Pre-Admissions Evaluation Services (PAES)
- Rehabilitation Services
- Robotic-Assisted Surgery
- Skilled Nursing Facility
- Spiritual Services
- STEMI Center
- Stroke Care
- Weight-Loss (Bariatric) Surgery
- Women’s and Infants’ Services
In 2012, Sharp Chula Vista Medical Center’s ED was the recipient of design awards from the Associated General Contractors of America (AGA) and Design-Build Institute of America (DBIA).
In 2012, Sharp Chula Vista was honored by the American Heart Association’s Get With the Guidelines Program with the Silver Performance Achievement Award
Sharp Chula Vista holds Community Hospital Cancer Program certification from the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer
In 2011, Sharp Chula Vista became accredited as a Breast Center by the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers
In November 2007, Sharp HealthCare was awarded the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award by the United States National Institute of Standards and Technology. Sharp was one of five organizations to receive the award, which is the nation's highest presidential honor for quality and organizational performance excellence. Sharp was the first health care provider in California and the eighth in the nation to receive this recognition. Sharp Chula Vista is a part of Sharp HealthCare.
- Official site of Sharp Chula Vista Medical Center
- This hospital in the CA Healthcare Atlas A project by OSHPD
- Baldrige National Quality Program