|Compilation album by John Lennon|
20 October 1975 (US)|
24 October 1975 (UK)
|Recorded||June 1969 – July 1974|
John Lennon, Yoko Ono, |
|John Lennon chronology|
|Singles from Shaved Fish|
Shaved Fish is a compilation album by John Lennon and the Plastic Ono Band, issued in October 1975 on Apple Records. It contains all of the singles that he had issued up to that point in the United States as a solo artist, with the exception of "Stand by Me", which had been released earlier that year. The only compilation of Lennon's non-Beatles recordings released during his lifetime, the album peaked at number 8 in the UK and number 12 in the US. It was also Lennon's final album released on Apple Records.
This compilation includes many of Lennon's most popular solo recordings in their original 45 rpm edits. Five of the songs had not been previously issued on an album: "Cold Turkey", "Instant Karma!", "Power to the People", the holiday single "Happy Xmas (War Is Over)" and "Give Peace a Chance". The latter appeared in truncated form, split to begin side one and end side two. Eight of these singles made the Top 40 on the Billboard chart, with "Whatever Gets You thru the Night" going to number 1; five made the top ten in the United Kingdom. "Imagine", never previously released as a single in the UK, was issued as such concurrent to the release of this album. Several of the master tapes were unavailable for the compilation, and dubs from 45 rpm single records were used, some with shorter fadeouts. A later compact disc issue used the original tapes,[specify] restoring the full fadeouts of these songs.
The release of the album came less than three weeks after the resolution of Lennon's long-running immigration dispute and the birth of Sean Lennon. The name of the album originates from the Japanese food katsuobushi, a kind of dried fish.
Release, reception, and aftermath
|The Rolling Stone Album Guide|||
A Creem magazine reader's poll in 1975 included the album among the top five "Best Reissues" of 1975, placing fourth, behind two Rolling Stones compilations, Made in the Shade and Metamorphosis, and Bob Dylan's The Basement Tapes. Robert Christgau called the album "eleven shots in the dark from the weirdest major rock and roller of the early '70s" and said "not counting the two available one-must-own albums, the only great cuts are 'Instant Karma' (Lennon's best political song) and '#9 Dream.'"
The album was released in the UK on 24 October 1975, peaking at number 8.[nb 1] Released from the album on the same day in the UK was the single "Imagine", backed with "Working Class Hero", charting at number 6. The single was also Lennon's last for Apple Records. The album later re-charted in the UK on 17 January 1981, at number 11. After the release of the album, Lennon's recording contract expired, in February 1976; Lennon was uninterested in re-signing with EMI/Capitol.
All songs by John Lennon, except where noted.
|1||"Give Peace a Chance"||0:57|
|3||"Instant Karma! (We All Shine On)"||3:21||
|4||"Power to the People"||3:21||
|6||"Woman Is the Nigger of the World" (John Lennon, Yoko Ono)||4:37|
|2||"Whatever Gets You thru the Night"||3:03|
|5||"Happy Xmas (War Is Over)" /
"Give Peace a Chance (Reprise)" (Lennon, Ono)
- UK Apple PCS 7173
- "John Lennon & Plastic Ono Band – Shaved Fish". Beatles Vinyl Record Collectors Online Shop, retrieved 8 December 2010.
- Womack, Kenneth (2014). The Beatles Encyclopedia: Everything Fab Four. Santa Barbara: ABC-CLIO Greenwood. p. 823. ISBN 978-0-313-39171-2. Retrieved November 29, 2014.
- "Shaved Fish". AllMusic. Retrieved 2009-11-20.
- "John Lennon: Shaved Fish". Robert Christgau. Retrieved 2009-11-20.
- Gary Graff & Daniel Durchholz (eds), MusicHound Rock: The Essential Album Guide, Visible Ink Press (Farmington Hills, MI, 1999; ISBN 1-57859-061-2), p. 667.
- "John Lennon: Album Guide | Rolling Stone Music". Rollingstone.com. Archived from the original on February 9, 2014. Retrieved 16 August 2014.
- "CREEM Magazine 1975 Reader Poll Results". Creem. rocklistmusic.co.uk. Retrieved 2009-11-20.
- Blaney, John (2005). John Lennon: Listen to This Book (illustrated ed.). [S.l.]: Paper Jukebox. p. 171. ISBN 978-0-9544528-1-0.
- Ingham, Chris (2003). The Rough Guide to The Beatles (1st ed.). London: Rough Guides. pp. 110–111. ISBN 978-1-84353-140-1.
- Shaved Fish. Apple Records SW 3421, 1975, back cover credits.
- John Lennon. Working Class Hero. Capitol Records CDP 0946 3 40391 2 3, 2005, liner notes.
- Some Time in New York City. Apple Records SVBB 3392, 1972, side one track timings.
- Madinger, Chip; Easter, Mark (2000). Eight Arms To Hold You: The Solo Beatles Compendium. Chesterfield, MO: 44.1 Productions. p. 80. ISBN 0-615-11724-4.