Made in the Shade
|Made in the Shade|
|Greatest hits album by The Rolling Stones|
|Released||6 June 1975|
|Recorded||December 1969 – May 1974|
|Producer||Jimmy Miller, The Glimmer Twins|
|The Rolling Stones compilations chronology|
Made in the Shade, released in 1975, is the first official compilation album by The Rolling Stones during their Atlantic Records contract. It draws entirely from their first four albums on that label.
The Stones had two previous "official" compilation albums on Decca Records, Big Hits (High Tide and Green Grass) in 1966 and Through The Past, Darkly (Big Hits Vol. 2) in 1969. In addition, 1971's Hot Rocks 1964-1971 and 1972's More Hot Rocks (Big Hits & Fazed Cookies) were released by Allen Klein's ABKCO Records with The Rolling Stones' authorisation.
Although Made in the Shade bought The Rolling Stones time to deliver their next studio album (they were midway through recording Black and Blue upon this album's June 1975 release), it was also released to capitalise on the band's summer Tour of the Americas, featuring Ronnie Wood for the first time in Mick Taylor's place. Wood, fitting in so well, was asked to remain in the band on a permanent basis following the tour's conclusion.
Release and reception
|Rolling Stone||no rating|
Made in the Shade, which had to compete with the latest cash-in ABKCO release—this time an outtakes compilation called Metamorphosis—reached No. 14 in the UK and No. 6 in the US, eventually going platinum. Subsequent Rolling Stones compilation albums have also anthologised tracks included on this album.
Robert Christgau writes in his review: Six tracks from two of the greatest albums of the decade and four from two of the more dubious ones. Not the four best, either.
In 2005, Made in the Shade was remastered and reissued by Virgin Records.
- "Brown Sugar" 3:48
- "Tumbling Dice" 3:45
- "Happy" 3:04
- "Dance Little Sister" 4:11
- "Wild Horses" 5:42
- "Angie" 4:33
- "Bitch" 3:38
- "It's Only Rock'n Roll (But I Like It)" 5:07
- "Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)" 3:26
- "Rip This Joint" 2:22
- The Rolling Stones
- Mick Jagger – vocals
- Keith Richards – electric and acoustic guitars; bass guitar and vocals on "Happy"
- Mick Taylor – electric, acoustic and slide guitar; bass guitar on "Tumbling Dice"
- Bill Wyman – bass guitar
- Charlie Watts – drums
- AllMusic review
- "Robert Christgau: CG: rolling stone". Retrieved 11 January 2017.
- "The Official Charts Company – Made in the Shade". The Official Charts Company. 6 May 2013.
- "Made in the Shade on Billboard". Rovi Corporation / Billboard. Retrieved 27 October 2012.