Silver Lake State Park (Michigan)
|Silver Lake State Park|
Silver Lake Dunes
Location within the state of Michigan
|Location||Golden Township, Oceana County, Michigan, USA|
|Nearest city||Mears, Michigan|
|Area||2,000 acres (80.937 hectares)|
|Governing body||Michigan Department of Natural Resources|
It is composed of mature forest land and over 2,000 acres (8 km2) of sand dunes. The park is 1.5 miles (2.4 km) wide and 3 miles (4.8 km) long and is divided into three segments: The northern area is an all-terrain vehicle park, and is the only dunes area east of Utah where a private motorized vehicle may be driven from April 1 through October 31. The middle of the park is a non-vehicle area (The Walking Dunes), and the southernmost section is leased to the Mac Wood's Dune Rides for scenic dune cruising with spectacular views of Lake Michigan and Silver Lake.
The Little Sable Point Light is located just south of the park.
Facilities and activities
- Off-road Vehicle Trails
- Fishing: Anglers can try Silver Lake for walleye, northern pike, crappie and bass.
- Camping: The campground offers 200 modern campsites.
- Metal Detecting: Metal detecting is permitted in designated areas of the park. Found items are subject to review by park staff and may be retained pending further investigation.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Silver Lake State Park.|
- Silver Lake State Park Michigan Department of Natural Resources
- Silver Lake State Park Off-Road Vehicle Area Michigan DNR
- Silver Lake Sand Dunes Forum
- Silver Lake Sand Dunes Area Chamber Of Commerce
- Silver Lake State Park Protected Planet (World Database on Protected Areas)
|This Oceana County, Michigan location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|