Silverado Resort and Spa
|Tournaments hosted||Safeway Open|
|Designed by||Robert Trent Jones Jr.|
|Length||7,166 yards (6,553 m)|
|Slope rating||135 |
|Length||6,612 yards (6,046 m)|
|Slope rating||133 |
Silverado Resort, California
|• Total||1.901 sq mi (4.92 km2)|
|• Land||1.891 sq mi (4.90 km2)|
|• Water||0.010 sq mi (0.03 km2) 0.50%|
|Elevation||236 ft (72 m)|
|• Density||580/sq mi (220/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC−08:00 (Pacific (PST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−07:00 (PDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||2583142|
|U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Silverado Resort and Spa|
The Silverado Resort and Spa is a 1,200-acre (4.9 km2) golf, tennis, and spa resort in Napa County, California, United States. The venue is named after the Silverado Mine, a quicksilver mine near Mount Saint Helena. The resort is the fifth largest employer in Napa County.
The United States Census Bureau has designated the area surrounding the Silverado Resort as a separate census-designated place (CDP) for statistical purposes. The population of the CDP was 1,095 at the 2010 census.
The Country Club
The resort's centerpiece southern style mansion was built by General John Franklin Miller in the 1860s. Amfac, Inc. developed the property as a resort in the 1960s and it was purchased by Robert Meyer in 1984 for $20 million. He sold it to Isao Okawa in 1989 for $110 million, and after his death it was inherited by his son, Setsuo Okawa; the property was listed for sale by the Okawa family in September 2009.
The original 18-hole golf course at Silverado opened 66 years ago in 1955, and is now the North Course. In 1966, it was re-designed by Robert Trent Jones, Jr. and the South Course was added. The resort also has 16 tennis courts, 10 swimming pools, 280 guest condo hotel units and private cottage suites. There are 300 privately owned condominiums on the grounds of the resort.
The resort has played host to several PGA Tour events on the North Course, including the Kaiser International Open Invitational from 1968 through 1976 and the Anheuser-Busch Golf Classic from 1977 through 1980. Champions Tour events from 1989 to 2002 were held at Silverado under the titles of Transamerica, Transamerica Senior Golf Championship, and Napa Valley Championship. The PGA Tour returned in October 2014 with the Frys.com Open, now the Safeway Open.
In 2010, professional golfer and businessman Johnny Miller, Rug Doctor Corporation founder Roger Kent, and its CEO Tim Wall assumed ownership of the resort under a partnership agreement named Silverado Resort Investment Group LLC on July 1. Dolce Hotels and Resorts Company was hired by the partnership to manage the resort. Miller made several changes to freshen up the two championship courses including lengthening the North Course by 250 yards (230 m), widening fairways, repositioning bunkers, and rebuilding tees. He also lengthened the club's driving range and added a teaching area to the range.
|Tournament||74.3 / 135||436||240||424||407||538||417||212||360||557||3591||422||182||391||458||412||189||571||375||575||3575||7166|
|Blue||72.6 / 133||432||193||399||378||536||431||209||344||521||3443||409||174||363||413||389||187||521||355||539||3350||6793|
|White||70.2 / 128||402||148||345||370||521||404||182||308||491||3171||375||130||353||392||367||163||501||332||518||3131||6302|
|Gold||68.3 / 124||381||137||331||309||487||393||155||293||474||2960||358||115||313||340||347||139||485||308||503||2908||5868|
|Gold||73.5 / 129||381||137||331||309||487||393||155||293||474||2960||358||115||313||340||347||139||485||308||503||2908||5868|
|Combo||71.5 / 124||327||137||294||309||487||313||155||293||474||2789||329||113||313||340||297||139||485||308||417||2741||5530|
|Burgundy||69.8 / 120||327||129||294||300||430||313||146||283||369||2591||329||113||261||333||297||132||418||296||417||2596||5187|
|Blue||72.5 / 133||371||416||183||368||355||380||211||426||482||3192||366||565||415||492||383||174||331||194||500||3420||6612|
|White||70.6 / 127||361||397||150||352||330||359||179||404||462||2994||347||544||390||462||367||147||315||159||482||3213||6207|
|Gold||67.3 / 123||352||377||119||340||324||287||146||363||435||2743||329||508||311||453||324||125||283||114||470||2917||5660|
|Gold||72.7 / 131||352||377||119||340||324||287||146||363||435||2743||329||508||311||453||324||125||283||114||470||2917||5660|
|Burgundy||70.5 / 125||297||357||112||331||314||278||139||358||430||2616||270||502||299||448||318||82||272||109||460||2760||5376|
Milliken Creek, a tributary to the Napa River, flows through the Silverado Country Club. There are approximately 7,300 acres (30 km2) planted to vineyards in this watershed including the drainage area of Milliken Reservoir. Milliken Creek rises on the western slopes of the east side of the Napa Valley before flowing through the Silverado Country Club property. Much of this area had once been part of the Mexican land grant Rancho Yajome. Most of this watershed was wilderness area to at least 1869, and thereafter the lower watershed was begun to be developed as pasture and grazing agricultural uses. In a 1989 stream survey conducted for the Silverado country Club by Earth Metrics Inc, the steelhead fishery was found to be robust up to and including the Silverado Country Club.
The United States Census Bureau has designated Silverado Resort as a separate census-designated place (CDP) for statistical purposes. The resort and the residential areas immediately outside its perimeter are in an unincorporated area north of the City of Napa.
The 2010 United States Census reported that Silverado Resort had a population of 1,095. The population density was 576.2 people per square mile (222.5/km2). The racial makeup of Silverado Resort was 1,010 (92.2%) White, 1 (0.1%) African American, 1 (0.1%) Native American, 36 (3.3%) Asian, 4 (0.4%) Pacific Islander, 28 (2.6%) from other races, and 15 (1.4%) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 59 persons (5.4%).
The Census reported that 1,095 people (100% of the population) lived in households, 0 (0%) lived in non-institutionalized group quarters, and 0 (0%) were institutionalized.
There were 540 households, out of which 69 (12.8%) had children under the age of 18 living in them, 339 (62.8%) were opposite-sex married couples living together, 19 (3.5%) had a female householder with no husband present, 8 (1.5%) had a male householder with no wife present. There were 16 (3.0%) unmarried opposite-sex partnerships, and 6 (1.1%) same-sex married couples or partnerships. 149 households (27.6%) were made up of individuals, and 98 (18.1%) had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.03. There were 366 families (67.8% of all households); the average family size was 2.43.
The population was spread out, with 117 people (10.7%) under the age of 18, 31 people (2.8%) aged 18 to 24, 92 people (8.4%) aged 25 to 44, 410 people (37.4%) aged 45 to 64, and 445 people (40.6%) who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 61.8 years. For every 100 females, there were 91.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 91.4 males.
There were 1,272 housing units at an average density of 669.4 per square mile (258.4/km2), of which 492 (91.1%) were owner-occupied, and 48 (8.9%) were occupied by renters. The homeowner vacancy rate was 2.0%; the rental vacancy rate was 87.0%. 984 people (89.9% of the population) lived in owner-occupied housing units and 111 people (10.1%) lived in rental housing units.
- "Course Rating and Slope Database™ - Silverado Resort - North". USGA. Retrieved October 11, 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Course Rating and Slope Database™ - Silverado Resort - South". USGA. Retrieved October 11, 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- U.S. Census Archived 2012-01-24 at WebCite
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Silverado Resort and Spa
- Private-sector employers -- Napa County
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Silverado Resort and Spa
- Kroichick, Ron (October 9, 2017). "Napa fire forces PGA Tour officials, players to flee Silverado after golf tourney". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved October 11, 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Howard, Chelsea (October 9, 2017). "PGA Tour officials evacuate Silverado after Napa fires". Sporting News. (Omnisport). Retrieved October 11, 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Huffman, Jennefer (September 19, 2009). "Silverado Resort for sale". Napa Valley Register. Retrieved October 24, 2010. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- James, Marty (July 4, 2013). "Silverado Country Club to host PGA Tour event". Napa Valley Register.
- James, Marty (July 14, 2013). "PGA Tour event will put spotlight on Silverado". Napa Valley Register.
- Huffman, Jennifer (June 29, 2010). "New owners, new management at Silverado Resort". Napa Valley Register. Retrieved June 29, 2010. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Huffman, Jennifer (July 2, 2010). "Silverado's new boss charts future". Napa Valley Register. Retrieved July 2, 2010. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- James, Marty (July 1, 2010). "Johnny Miller explains his plans for golf at Silverado". Napa Valley Register. Retrieved July 1, 2010. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- James, Marty (August 30, 2011). "Miller, Harper honored by NorCal PGA at Silverado". Napa Valley Register. Retrieved September 1, 2011. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- James, Marty (August 25, 2014). "Miller puts his touch on Silverado". Napa Valley Register. Retrieved September 12, 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Silverado Resort and Spa - North Course" (PDF). Retrieved 25 February 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "North Course - Tournament Tees" (PDF). Retrieved 25 February 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Silverado Resort and Spa - South Course" (PDF). Retrieved 25 February 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Napa Quadrangle, 7.5 Minute Series, U.S. Geological Survey, Government Printing Office, Washington DC
- Napa Valley vineyard areas by watershed Archived 2007-09-28 at the Wayback Machine
- Earth Metrics Inc., "Phase One Environmental Site Assessment, Silverado Country Club, Napa County, California", May 1989
- "2010 Census Interactive Population Search: CA - Silverado Resort CDP". U.S. Census Bureau. Archived from the original on July 15, 2014. Retrieved July 12, 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)