Since I've Been Loving You
|"Since I've Been Loving You"|
|Song by Led Zeppelin from the album Led Zeppelin III|
|Released||5 October 1970|
|Recorded||May - August 1970|
|Writer||John Paul Jones, Jimmy Page, Robert Plant|
|Led Zeppelin III track listing|
"Since I've Been Loving You" was one of the first songs prepared for the Led Zeppelin III album. The song was recorded live in the studio with very little overdubbing. It was reportedly the hardest to record. Audio engineer Terry Manning called it "The best rock guitar solo of all time." John Paul Jones played Hammond organ on the song, using the bass pedals for the bassline.
This recording was done using John Bonham's Ludwig Speed King model #201, the pedal he used for his entire career and which was known as the "Squeak King" because of the excessive squeaking that can be heard on some recordings, especially on this track.
|“||The only real problem I can remember encountering was when we were putting the first boxed set together. There was an awfully squeaky bass drum pedal on 'Since I've Been Loving You'. It sounds louder and louder every time I hear it! [laughs]. That was something that was obviously sadly overlooked at the time.||”|
—Jimmy Page, from Guitar World Magazine, 2003, 
The initial and closing lyrics of Since I've Been Loving You, and some other components, are nearly identical to the 1968 Moby Grape song Never. Unlike a number of other Zeppelin songs, no lawsuit has been brought, no changes made to the writing credits.
As an improvisational showcase for all four group members, and especially for Page's electric blues guitar solos, "Since I've Been Loving You" became a staple and fan favourite of Led Zeppelin's live concert performances from 1970 until the end of their ninth American tour in summer 1973. It was played on the 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1979 and 1980 tours, but only a few times on the 1975 North American tour. In live performances of the song from 1977 onwards, Page would sometimes incorporate some of the solo of "Tea for One", a track from the band's 1976 album Presence that is similar in style to this song.
Page's guitar prowess is well demonstrated in different performances of the song from Madison Square Garden in July 1973, as seen in the group's concert films The Song Remains the Same (and accompanying soundtrack) and Led Zeppelin DVD. There is also a June 1972 live recording of "Since I've Been Loving You" which can be heard on the album How the West Was Won, and another live version on Disc two of BBC Sessions. The band performed the song during the 2007 Reunion gig in London's O2 Arena, and it is included the 2012 film of that historic concert, Celebration Day.
Page and Plant recorded a version of the song in 1994, released on their album No Quarter: Jimmy Page and Robert Plant Unledded. Plant also used a sample from this on his solo track "White, Clean, and Neat". "Since I've Been Loving You" was performed at Led Zeppelin's reunion show at the O2 Arena, London on 10 December 2007.
|Sounds||Germany||"The Top 30 Songs of All Time"||1992||16|
|Mojo||United Kingdom||"100 Great Voices"||1994||*|
|Guitarist||United Kingdom||"Top 100 Guitar Solos of All-time"||1998||8|
|Guitar World||United States||"100 Greatest Solos of All-time"||1998||53|
|Q||United Kingdom||"1010 Songs You Must Own!"||2004||*|
(*) designates unordered lists.
- Robert Plant - vocals
- Jimmy Page - guitars, lyrics
- John Paul Jones - Hammond organ, bass pedals
- John Bonham - drums
- Lewis, Dave (2004) The Complete Guide to the Music of Led Zeppelin, ISBN 0-7119-3528-9
- Welch, Chris (1998) Led Zeppelin: Dazed and Confused: The Stories Behind Every Song, ISBN 1-56025-818-7
- "Since I've Been Loving You" at AllMusic
- Lewis, Dave (2004). Led Zeppelin: The Complete Guide to Their Music. p. 24. ISBN 1-84449-141-2.
- Brad Tolinski and Greg Di Bendetto, "Light and Shade", Guitar World, January 1998.
- Barney Hoskyns (2006) Led Zeppelin IV, New York: Rodale Books. ISBN 1-59486-370-9, p. 63.
- Chris Welch (1994) Led Zeppelin, London: Orion Books. ISBN 1-85797-930-3, p. 53.
- "Jimmy Page discusses making Led Zeppelin III". Retrieved 09-08-2012. Check date values in:
- "John Bonham >> Bass Drum Pedal". Retrieved 09-08-2012. Check date values in:
- LED ZEPPELIN: PLAGIARISM? “SINCE I’VE BEEN LOVING YOU”
Compare the opening verse of “Never”
Working from 11:00 to 7:00 every night Ought to make life a drag And I know that ain’t right
to the opening verse of “Since I’ve Been Loving You”
Working from 7:00 to 11:00 every night It really makes life a dragI don’t think that’s right.
- "The Final Hitparade: The Top 30 Songs of All Time - June 1992". Zounds. Retrieved 2009-02-10.
- "100 Great Voices: Robert Plant - 1994". Mojo. Retrieved 2009-02-10.
- "Top 100 Guitar Solos of All-time - January 1998". Guitarist. Retrieved 2009-02-10.
- "100 Greatest Solos of All-time - September 1998". Guitar World. Retrieved 2009-02-10.
- "1010 Songs You Must Own! Part Five – On a Downer: 60 Songs for Long Dark Night of the Soul - September 2004". Q. Retrieved 2009-02-10.