Thank You (Led Zeppelin song)
|Song by Led Zeppelin|
|from the album Led Zeppelin II|
|Released||22 October 1969|
"Thank You" signaled a deeper involvement in songwriting by singer Robert Plant: it was the first Led Zeppelin song for which he wrote all the lyrics. According to various Led Zeppelin biographies, this is also the song that made Jimmy Page realise that Plant could now handle writing the majority of the lyrics for the band's songs. Plant wrote the song as a tribute to his then-wife Maureen.
The song features Hammond organ playing by John Paul Jones, which fades into a false ending before concluding with a crescendo roughly ten seconds later. For the recording of this track, Page played on a Vox 12-string guitar.
In a retrospective review of Led Zeppelin II (Deluxe Edition), Michael Madden of Consequence of Sound praised the remastering of "Thank You", believing the track now sounds "mellow and well-balanced". Madden further praised the remastering, writing the track "breathes easy during the verses and ascends elsewhere in the song", along with "illuminating Page's touch and Bonham's haymakers". When reviewing the added bonus tracks of the Deluxe Edition, Madden further praised the new version of "Thank You", titled "Thank You (Backing Track)", writing the track "magnifies the song's tasteful sheen, popping with Bonham’s drums and Jones’ organ, which seems to have a mind of its own."
Recognition and legacy
In November 2010, "Thank You" topped Gibson's list of "Top 10 Thanksgiving Songs". The song was recorded by Page and Plant for the No Quarter: Jimmy Page and Robert Plant Unledded album (1994). It was released as a single and reached number eight on Billboard magazine's Album Rock Tracks chart in 1995.
- Robert Plant – vocals
- Jimmy Page – electric and acoustic guitars, backing vocals
- John Paul Jones – Hammond organ, bass guitar
- John Bonham – drums
- The original Atlantic LP shows 3:50; the 2004 reissue of Led Zeppelin II shows 4:49
- Interview with Jimmy Page, Guitar World magazine, 1993
- Madden, Michael (4 June 2014). "Led Zeppelin – Led Zeppelin II [Reissue]". CoS. Retrieved 13 August 2017.
- The Playlist Special: Fifty Artists Pick Their Personal Top 10s. Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2 January 2011.
- Led Zeppelin and ZZ Top Make Top Thanksgiving Songs List. Antimusic.com.
- Russell, Hall (November 24, 2010). "10 Great Songs that Give Thanks". Gibson. Archived from the original on January 19, 2012. Retrieved April 24, 2018.
- "The 40 Greatest Led Zeppelin Songs of All Time". Rolling Stone. November 7, 2012. Retrieved April 11, 2018.
- Sherman, Maria (November 21, 2017). "35 Thank You Songs: The Full Playlist". Fuse. Retrieved May 15, 2018.
- Lewis, Dave (2004) The Complete Guide to the Music of Led Zeppelin, ISBN 0-7119-3528-9
- Welch, Chris (1998) Led Zeppelin: Dazed and Confused: The Stories Behind Every Song, ISBN 1-56025-818-7