Celebration Day (film)
|Directed by||Dick Carruthers|
|Produced by||Dick Carruthers|
|Music by||Led Zeppelin|
|Edited by||Henry Stein|
Three P Films Limited
|Distributed by||Omniverse Vision|
|Box office||$2 million|
|Live album / Video by|
|Released||19 November 2012|
|Recorded||10 December 2007, for the Ahmet Ertegun Tribute Concert at The O2 Arena, London, England, United Kingdom|
|Genre||Hard rock, heavy metal, blues rock|
|Label||Atlantic and Swan Song|
|Led Zeppelin chronology|
Celebration Day is a concert film and live album by the English rock band Led Zeppelin, recorded at the Ahmet Ertegun Tribute Concert on 10 December 2007, in The O2 Arena, London. The film was given a limited theatrical release starting on 17 October 2012, and was released on several home audio and video formats on 19 November 2012. The performance, the film, and album releases have been widely praised.
Recording and promotion
In 2007, a benefit concert to commemorate the life of music executive Ahmet Ertegun was staged with a reunited Led Zeppelin as the main act. They played several of their most famous songs to an enthusiastic crowd and coordinated a professional recording of the show with 16 cameras, with the prospect of a home video release. Rumours immediately circulated that the recording would become available, but the following year, band member Jimmy Page said that release wasn't certain and that it required mixing and would be a "massive job to embark on." Bassist John Paul Jones agreed that he would like to see it released commercially, but that there was no timeline. Even through 2010, Page was uncertain of the status of the album. On 9 September 2012, the band updated its Facebook page, which led to widespread speculation that the release was finally ready. Details leaked over the following days, with theatre web sites announcing airings of the film slated for the following month.
On 13 September, the band revealed that the film would hit theatres on 17 October, with premieres in Berlin, London, Los Angeles, New York City, and Tokyo and that the home video was scheduled for 19 November. The surviving members of the band appeared at a press event on 21 September to promote the release. They debuted the film at London's famed Hammersmith Apollo on October 12th (of 2012) and answered questions afterward; when queried about more reunion performances, the trio were coy.
Like the 2007 greatest hits album Mothership, the cover and promotional art were designed by Shepard Fairey. Alan Moulder worked with Jimmy Page on mixing the album but used only a minimal amount of overdubs and corrections, as both the performance itself and the recording were of high quality.
Release and reception
The album was released in a standard edition consisting of one DVD or Blu-ray bundled with two soundtrack CDs. A triple vinyl LP was initially announced to be released on 10 December 2012 but distribution started in the middle of February 2013. The deluxe edition includes bonus video from the Shepperton rehearsals and news footage from the BBC. Additionally, there is an audio-only Blu-ray with DTS-HD MA 24-bit/48 kHz sound and no video.
The concert performance was well received. NME published that the show "prove[d] that they can still perform to the level that originally earned them their legendary reputation." Writing for The New Yorker, Sasha Frere-Jones opined, "the failed gigs of the nineteen-eighties and nineties have been supplanted by a triumph, and the band should be pleased to have done Ertegun proud with such a spirited performance."
The film has also received acclaim from critics. Marc Lee of The Daily Telegraph gave it five out of five stars and concluded that "Celebration Day is a celebration of rock 'n' roll at its most moving, magical and magnificent." The initial screening opened to over 1,500 screens in 40 countries and grossed over USD$2 million, leading to further showings worldwide. In 2013, it won a Classic Rock Roll of Honours Award for Film of the Year.
In terms of sales, it debuted on the Billboard 200 at No. 9. According to the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI), Celebration Day was the 13th-best-selling album globally of 2012 with sales of 1.8 million copies.
All songs administered by WB Music Corp. (ASCAP)
- "Good Times Bad Times" (John Bonham, John Paul Jones, Jimmy Page and Robert Plant) – 3:45
- "Ramble On" (Page and Plant) – 5:53
- "Black Dog" (Jones, Page, and Plant) – 5:53
- "In My Time of Dying" (Bonham, Jones, Page, and Plant) – 11:41
- "For Your Life" (Page and Plant) – 6:50
- "Trampled Under Foot" (Jones, Page, and Plant) – 6:28
- "Nobody's Fault but Mine" (Page and Plant) – 6:49
- "No Quarter" (Jones, Page, and Plant) – 11:22
- "Since I've Been Loving You" (Jones, Page, and Plant) – 8:52
- "Dazed and Confused" (Page; inspired by Jake Holmes) – 13:04
- "Stairway to Heaven" (Page and Plant) – 8:49
- "The Song Remains the Same" (Page and Plant) – 5:57
- "Misty Mountain Hop" (Jones, Page, and Plant) – 5:38
- "Kashmir" (Bonham, Page, and Plant) – 10:00
- "Rock and Roll" (Bonham, Jones, Page, and Plant) – 4:55
Video bonus features
- Shepperton rehearsals
- BBC footage
- Jason Bonham – drums, percussion; backing vocals on "Good Times Bad Times" and "Misty Mountain Hop"
- John Paul Jones – bass guitar, Korg OASYS, Korg X50
- Jimmy Page – guitar, theremin, production
- Robert Plant – vocals; harmonica on "Nobody's Fault But Mine", tambourine on "In My Time of Dying" and "Stairway to Heaven"
- Big Mick – live sound mixing
- Roy Williams – live vocals mixing
- Dick Carruthers – direction
- John Davis – mastering
- Alan Moulder – audio mixing (recorded music)
- Victor Riva – special effects
|Brazil (Pro-Música Brasil)||Platinum||40,000*|
|Brazil (Pro-Música Brasil)
|Canada (Music Canada)||2× Platinum||160,000^|
|Denmark (IFPI Denmark)||Gold||10,000^|
|New Zealand (RMNZ)||Platinum||15,000^|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Platinum||300,000|
* Sales figures based on certification alone.
- Live Aid (1985) – Led Zeppelin's first reunion
- Atlantic Records 40th Anniversary (1988) – Led Zeppelin's second reunion
- Dawtrey, Adam (26 October 2012). "'Zeppelin' film grosses $2 mil in one night". Variety. Penske Business Media. Retrieved 19 November 2012.
- Bains, Harpreet (10 December 2007). "Led Zeppelin Release Reunion DVD". Kerrang!. Archived from the original on 21 April 2009. Retrieved 9 September 2012.
- David, Fricke (8 October 2012). "Jimmy Page on Another Led Zeppelin Reunion: 'I Don't See It'". Rolling Stone. Wenner Media, LLC. Retrieved 8 October 2012.
- Cavanagh, David (May 2008). "Jimmy Page: 'Mission Accomplished...'". Uncut. London, England, United Kingdom: 46–50. ISSN 1368-0722.
- "Led Zeppelin 'hope' to release London O2 Arena DVD". NME. 18 June 2008. Retrieved 9 September 2012.
- Jackson, James (8 January 2010). "Jimmy Page on Led Zeppelin IV, the band's peak and their reunion". The Times. News Corporation. Retrieved 9 September 2012.
- "LED ZEPPELIN: O2 Concert DVD Release Announcement Coming Soon – Sep. 9, 2012". Blabbermouth.net. 9 September 2012. Retrieved 9 September 2012.
- "LED ZEPPELIN: Celebration Day to Premiere in Theaters Next Month – Sep. 12, 2012". Blabbermouth.net. 12 September 2012. Retrieved 12 September 2012.
- Mike, Collett-White (13 September 2012). "Led Zeppelin to release reunion concert film". Reuters. Retrieved 13 September 2012.
- "Led Zeppelin: Celebration Day DVD/Blu-ray Arrives!". Mojo. 13 September 2012. Archived from the original on 15 September 2012. Retrieved 13 September 2012.
- "Led Zeppelin Members to Reunite for "Celebration Day" Press Event in London". ABC News Radio. The Walt Disney Company/American Broadcasting Company. 20 September 2012. Archived from the original on 7 October 2012. Retrieved 20 September 2012.
- "Led Zeppelin refuse to rule out further reunion shows". NME. 21 September 2012. Retrieved 21 September 2012.
- Led Zeppelin: Celebration Day Press Conference (London 9/21/12) (World Wide Web). London, England, United Kingdom: Led Zeppelin via YouTube. 2012. Event occurs at 30:51. Retrieved 25 September 2012.
- "Led Zeppelin Reunion: The Review". NME. 10 December 2007. Retrieved 25 September 2012.
- Frere-Jones, Sasha (24 December 2007). "Stairway to Here". The New Yorker. Retrieved 25 September 2012.
- Lee, Marc (24 September 2012). "Celebration Day, Review". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 25 September 2012.
- McGovern, Kyle (26 October 2012). "Led Zeppelin Concert Doc Banks $2 Million in One Day, Will Go Where Fans Want It Most". Spin. Buzzmedia. Retrieved 22 November 2012.
- "LED ZEPPELIN's JIMMY PAGE Talks About Winning 'Film Of The Year' Award At 'Classic Rock Roll Of Honour'". Blabbermouth.net. 15 November 2013. Retrieved 17 May 2021.
- "Celebration Day [Live] Reviews, Ratings, Credits, and More". Metacritic. Retrieved 22 November 2012.
- Erlewine, Stephen Thomas. Celebration Day – Album review at AllMusic. Retrieved 24 October 2019.
- "Top 200 Albums". Billboard. 30 November 2012. Retrieved 30 November 2012.
- "The Global Bestsellers of 2012" (PDF). International Federation of the Phonographic Industry. p. 11. Archived from the original (PDF) on 9 April 2013. Retrieved 10 April 2014.
- "Black Sabbath, Dream Theater, Led Zeppelin Earn Grammy Nominations". 9 December 2013.
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2012 Albums". Australian Recording Industry Association. Archived from the original on 1 August 2020.
- "Brazilian album certifications – Led Zeppelin – Celebration Day" (in Portuguese). Pro-Música Brasil.
- "Brazilian video certifications – Led Zeppelin – Celebration Day" (in Portuguese). Pro-Música Brasil.
- "Canadian album certifications – Led Zeppelin – Celebration Day". Music Canada.
- "Danish album certifications – Led Zeppelin – Celebration Day". IFPI Denmark.
- "Led Zeppelin" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland.
- "French album certifications – Led Zeppelin – Celebration Day" (in French). Syndicat National de l'Édition Phonographique.
- "Adatbázis – Arany- és platinalemezek – 2013" (in Hungarian). MAHASZ.
- "The Irish Charts - 2012 Certification Awards - Gold". Irish Recorded Music Association.
- "Italian album certifications – Led Zeppelin – Celebration Day" (in Italian). Federazione Industria Musicale Italiana. Select "Tutti gli anni" in the "Anno" drop-down menu. Select "Celebration Day" in the "Filtra" field. Select "Album e Compilation" under "Sezione".
- "Certificaciones" (in Spanish). Asociación Mexicana de Productores de Fonogramas y Videogramas. Type Led Zeppelin in the box under the ARTISTA column heading and Celebration Day in the box under TÍTULO
- "New Zealand album certifications – Led Zeppelin – Celebration Day". Recorded Music NZ.
- "Wyróżnienia - Diamentowe płyty CD - Archiwum - Przyznane w 2012 roku" (in Polish). Polish Society of the Phonographic Industry. Retrieved 18 April 2021.
- "British album certifications – Led Zeppelin – Celebration Day". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved 5 June 2020.