Sony Xperia Tablet S
|Product family||Xperia series|
|Release date||US: September 7, 2012|
|Operating system||Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich|
|CPU||Nvidia Tegra 3, quad-core, 1.3 GHz|
|Memory||1 GB |
|Input||Multi-touch touchscreen display|
|Camera||Rear: 8.0 MP |
3G HSDPA in UK
|Mass||585g (20.64oz) |
The Xperia Tablet S is a touchscreen Android tablet designed by Sony Mobile. It was announced at Internationale Funkausstellung Berlin (IFA) 2012, and debuted in the US on September 7, 2012. The tablet directly succeeded the Sony Tablet S, with a thinner and lighter design, a faster processor, and an improved camera. It is the first Sony tablet to be marketed with the Xperia branding.
The Xperia Tablet S features a magazine inspired design similar to its predecessor's, but the angle is less pronounced than in the original. It includes a full sized SD card slot, along with a proprietary Sony charging port and a 3.5mm headphone jack. It also features an infrared blaster, which acts as a universal remote.
Sony advertised the tablet as "splash proof" with its multi-port cover installed. Sales of the tablet were suspended in October 2012 when it was discovered that a manufacturing error left gaps between the screen and the case, which compromises its waterproofing.
A modified version of Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich ships on the tablet. Some alterations include the ability to add multiple user accounts and control of the tablet's IR blaster. It is now upgradeable to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean.
Critical reception has been mixed. In his review, Engadget writer Joseph Volpe stated that the Xperia Tablet S "misses the mark in everyday performance." However, David Pierce of The Verge gave the tablet a 7.6 out of 10, concluding that it had "no glaring flaws."
- Smith, Catharine (2012-09-04). "Xperia Tablet S release". Huffington Post. Retrieved 2012-10-03.
- "Xperia Tablet S unveiled". Techradar.com. Retrieved 2012-10-03.
- "Xperia Tablet S Specs". Phonearena.com. Retrieved 2012-10-03.
- "Verge Xperia Tablet S review". Theverge.com. Retrieved 2012-10-03.
- "Engadget Xperia Tablet S review". Engadget.com. Retrieved 2012-10-03.
- "Sony Tablet S: Footnotes". Sony. Retrieved 2012-10-05.
- "Sony halts new Xperia tablet sales". BBC News. 5 October 2012. Retrieved 2012-10-05.
- "Sony halts Xperia tablet sales after defect found". Reuters. 5 October 2012. Retrieved 2012-10-05.
- Sony Tablet S, official site
Sony Tablet S
| Sony Xperia Tablet S
Sony Xperia Tablet Z