HP Slate 7
|Release date||April 2013 |
|Introductory price||$169 (USA) |
|Operating system||Android 4.1.1 "Jelly Bean" |
|System-on-chip used||Rockchip RK3066|
|CPU||1.6-GHz ARM Cortex-A9 dual-core w/512Kb L2 Cache|
|Memory||1 GB DDR3 RAM|
|Storage||8 GB eMMC SSD (internal),
up to 32GB microSDHC(external) 
|Display||7″ screen (1024×600 px)
HFFS LCD 
|Sound||2 Speakers w/Beats Audio, 3.5mm Headphone Jack |
|Input||Touchscreen, Volume Rocker, Power Button|
|Camera||Front 0.3-MPx, Rear 3-MPx |
|Connectivity||Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g/n), Bluetooth 2.1, microUSB|
|Power||Charge via microUSB|
|Weight||13 oz (0.37 kg) |
The HP Slate 7 is a 7-inch Android 4.1 tablet that was announced on February 24, 2013 and that started shipping in April 2013. It has a stainless-steel frame, black front, and gray or red soft-touch back. A key feature of this small tablet is the microSDHC slot. It is HP's second Android device (the Photosmart eStation C510 printer contained an Android tablet that lacked Google Services).
In December 2013, HP released the HP Slate7 Plus, HP Slate7 Extreme, HP Slate8 Pro and HP Slate10 HD and these four run Android 4.2.2.
When asked if webOS, HP's mobile operating system would be installable, Omar Javaid, VP of Product Management stated that it is possible, however any such port would have to be undertaken by the webOS community.
Unlike most electronic devices the pixels used in the Slate 7 screen are not square, but rectangular; therefore the screen image is stretched in the tablet's long axis, making circles into ovals, squares into rectangles, and so on. Reviewers did not like that it was underpowered, had a sub-par display, and had poor battery life compared to the other tablets sold in the middle of 2013.The device was also well known for charging and battery problems.
- HP Unveils Android Consumer Tablet; HP; February 24, 2013.
- Rodriguez, Elizabeth (2013-04-28). "HP Slate 7 Android tablet now available". The Gadgeteer. Retrieved 2013-05-05.
- Murph, Darren (2010-09-20). "HP Photosmart eStation C510 printer / Android tablet now on sale". Engadget.com. Retrieved 2013-12-03.
- "HP’s new Slate tablets quietly appear in the company’s online shop". Android and Me. Retrieved 2013-12-03.
- [%= data.comment.created_on %] (2013-02-24). "HP announces Slate 7: the company's first Android tablet arrives in April for $169.99". The Verge. Retrieved 2013-12-03.
- Pete Pachal2013-02-25 15:42:44 UTC (2013-02-25). "Will the HP Slate 7 Run Open WebOS? [VIDEO]". Mashable.com. Retrieved 2013-12-03.
- HP Slate 7 Review