Springfield (Universal Studios Florida)
The Simpsons Ride in 2008
|Universal Studios Florida|
Springfield is a themed area at the Universal Studios Florida theme park in Orlando, Florida. The area is themed around the fictional town of the same name from the American animated sitcom, The Simpsons.
In 2007, Universal Parks & Resorts announced that they would be closing Back to the Future: The Ride at Universal Studios Florida and Universal Studios Hollywood within the year. The ride would be replaced by a ride themed to The Simpsons, later named The Simpsons Ride. In October 2007, Kwik-E-Mart-themed merchandise shops opened selling a variety of items including Squishees (which are The Simpsons' parody of 7-Eleven's Slurpees). The Simpsons Ride opened at both parks in May 2008.
In 2012, Universal Studios Florida closed the International Food and Film Festival which was adjacent to The Simpsons Ride. The park later announced that they would be opening Springfield in Summer 2013. As part of the development the park would add one amusement ride named Kang & Kodos' Twirl 'n' Hurl. As replacements for the International Food and Film Festival, Universal Studios Florida added a series of themed outlets. Universal also announced they would unveil two new characters, Krusty the Clown and Sideshow Bob.
Fast Food Boulevard which encompasses Krusty Burger, Moe's Tavern, The Frying Dutchman, Cletus' Chicken Shack, Flaming Moe's, Lisa's Teahouse Of Horror, and Luigi's Pizza, opened as the first phase of the expansion on June 1, 2013. A second phase consisting of Lard Lad Donuts, Duff Gardens, and Bumblebee Man's Taco Truck, opened on August 2, 2013. The last item Kang & Kodos' Twirl 'n' Hurl opened on August 11, 2013.
As of August 11, 2013 Springfield consists of two attractions.
The Simpsons Ride is a simulator ride that is the flagship attraction for the area. In the ride, patrons are introduced to a cartoon theme park called Krustyland built by Krusty the Clown. Sideshow Bob, however, is loose from prison to get revenge on Krusty and the Simpson family. The six-minute ride is designed by Intamin and uses 80-foot-tall (24 m) dome-shaped IMAX screens.
Kang & Kodos' Twirl 'n' Hurl is an Aero Top Jet attraction manufactured by Zamperla. It was the last item to open as part of the Springfield expansion. The goal of the ride is to help Kang & Kodos take over Springfield.
- Bevil, Dewayne (October 26, 2007). "Simpsons' Kwik-E-Mart gets the Universal seal of Apu-val". Orlando Sentinel. Retrieved August 4, 2013.
- "The Simpsons Ride (Universal Studios Florida)". Parkz. Retrieved August 4, 2013.
- "The Simpsons Ride (Universal Studios Hollywood)". Parkz. Retrieved August 4, 2013.
- "Springfield Comes to Universal Orlando" (Press release). Universal Studios Florida. May 23, 2013. Archived from the original on June 30, 2013. Retrieved May 24, 2013.
- Carchidi, Jim (June 4, 2013). "See inside: Springfield's Fast Food Boulevard". Orlando Business Journal. Retrieved August 4, 2013.
- "Springfield comes to Orlando". Park World Magazine: 6. July 2013.
- "The Simpsons Springfield expansion". Orlando Informer. Retrieved August 4, 2013.
- Walt Belcher (May 2, 2008). "Woo Hoo! Itchy For Fun? Ride With The Simpsons". The Tampa Tribune. Retrieved August 4, 2013.
- "The Simpsons Ride". Universal Studios Orlando. Archived from the original on February 3, 2008. Retrieved February 16, 2008.
- "Kang & Kodos' Twirl 'n' Hurl (Universal Studios Florida)". Parkz. Retrieved August 4, 2013.