Spurn docked in Kingston upon Hull, England
|Owner||Hull City Council|
|Builder||Goole Shipbuilding and Repairing Co Ltd, Goole|
|Out of service||1975|
|Length||100 ft (30 m)|
|Beam||24 ft (7.3 m)|
|Draught||10 ft (3.0 m)|
|Depth||14.5 ft (4.4 m)|
The Spurn Lightship (LV No. 12) is a lightvessel (i.e. a ship used as a lighthouse), previously anchored in Hull Marina in the British city of Kingston upon Hull, England. It was relocated to a shipyard in October 2021 for restoration, prior to becoming a display together with the Arctic Corsair.
The ship was built in 1927 and served for 48 years as a navigation aid in the approaches of the Humber Estuary, where it was stationed 4+1⁄2 miles (7.2 km) east of Spurn Point. On 15 April 1959, the lightship was driven ashore in the River Hull at Woodmansey, Yorkshire.
The lightship was decommissioned in 1975 and bought/restored by Hull City Council in 1983 before being moved to Hull Marina as a museum in 1987. The museum closed in June 2018, in preparation for the vessel being relocated in September, to facilitate a footbridge being constructed over the adjacent A63. Initially it was expected that the museum would reopen in 2021 after undergoing conservation work and a relocation to a new position on the marina.
The ship was moved to a private shipyard in October 2021 for restoration, having been static for 34 years. Part of a £30 million project, after renovation in a dry dock with completion anticipated for 2023, it will be displayed together with the Arctic Corsair trawler.
- "Light Vessel 12 Spurn". Retrieved 23 October 2016.
- "Picture Gallery". The Times. No. 54436. London. 16 April 1959. col D, p. 12.
- "Spurn Lightship will be moved as footbridge is built over A63". Hull Daily Mail. 30 May 2018. Retrieved 4 June 2018.
- "Hull's Spurn Lightship moves berth for bridge works". BBC News. BBC. 5 September 2018. Retrieved 16 September 2018.
- "Spurn lightship: Hull's historic vessel towed to new berth". BBC News. 12 October 2021. Retrieved 12 October 2021.
- "New visitor attraction set to open in Hull after funding granted for restoration of historic vessels". The Yorkshire Post. 6 September 2021. Retrieved 12 October 2021.
- "Spurn Lightship". Hull City Council.
- "Spurn Lightship". Puffinpost. Archived from the original on 8 March 2012.