Kingston upon Hull West and Hessle (UK Parliament constituency)
|Kingston upon Hull West and Hessle|
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Kingston upon Hull West and Hessle in Humberside.
Location of Humberside within England.
|County||East Riding of Yorkshire|
|Electorate||61,232 (December 2010)|
|Member of parliament||Alan Johnson (Labour)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||Hull West, Beverley|
|European Parliament constituency||Yorkshire and the Humber|
Kingston upon Hull West and Hessle (usually just Hull West and Hessle) is a constituency[n 1] represented in the House of Commons of the UK Parliament since its 1997 creation by Alan Johnson of the Labour Party.[n 2]
This seat contains the electoral wards:
- Boothferry; Derringham; Myton; Newington; Pickering; and St Andrew's in the City of Hull
- Hessle in the East Riding of Yorkshire
Despite its name, this Labour safe seat takes in most of Hull's inner city – a deprived area that is currently undergoing regeneration. The area still has some way to go before it is fully restored to healthy economic life, and unemployment remains high – not helped by the declining fishing industry. Hessle is a quiet suburb to the west, conservative by nature, having little in common with its larger neighbour apart from mostly "working class" (low income) roots.
In 2005 The Guardian described the seat as:
'City centre and fishing port of isolated, rather grim east coast town.'
Members of Parliament
|1997||Rt Hon Alan Johnson||Labour|
Elections in the 2010s
|General Election 2015: Kingston upon Hull West and Hessle|
|Liberal Democrat||Claire Thomas||3,169||10.0||−14.3|
|General Election 2010: Kingston upon Hull West and Hessle|
|Liberal Democrat||Mike Ross||7,638||24.2||+3.2|
|English Democrats||Peter Mawer||876||2.8||+2.8|
Elections in the 2000s
|General Election 2005: Kingston upon Hull West and Hessle|
|Liberal Democrat||David Nolan||5,855||21.0||+5.9|
|General Election 2001: Kingston upon Hull West and Hessle|
|Liberal Democrat||Angela Wastling||4,364||15.1||-3.1|
|Socialist Labour||David Skinner||353||1.2||N/A|
Elections in the 1990s
|General Election 1997: Kingston upon Hull West and Hessle|
|Liberal Democrat||Bob Tress||6,995||18.2||N/A|
|Natural Law||David Skinner||310||0.8||N/A|
- "Electorate Figures – Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- Hull City Council
- "Hull West and Hessle Labour: Alan Johnson". The Guardian (London).
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "H" (part 4)[self-published source][better source needed]
- "Hull West & Hessle". BBC News. Retrieved 11 May 2015.
- Hull West and Hessle UKPolling
- "UK > England > Yorkshire & the Humber > Hull West & Hessle". Election 2010 (BBC). 7 May 2010. Retrieved 11 May 2010.