|Part of a series on|
Chophouses started in London in the 1690s, and served individual portions of meat, known as chops. The traditional nature of the food served was zealously maintained through the later 19th century despite the new cooking styles from the Continent which were beginning to become fashionable. The houses were normally only open for men.
The steakhouse started in the United States in the late 19th century as a development from traditional inns and bars.
List of steakhouses
The following are lists of notable steakhouses.
- Autograph Brasserie - Wayne, Pennsylvania
- Barberian's Steak House - Toronto
- Barclay Prime - Philadelphia
- Bear Creek Saloon and Steakhouse - Bear Creek, Montana
- Bern's Steak House - Tampa, Florida
- The Big Texan Steak Ranch - Amarillo, Texas
- Bobcat Bite - Santa Fe, New Mexico
- Brasserie Les Halles - New York City
- Carmen's Steak House - Toronto
- Cattleman Restaurant - New York City
- Country Bill's - Portland, Oregon
- Delmonico's - New York City
- Five O'Clock Steakhouse - Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- Gallagher's Steak House - New York City
- Golden Ox - Kansas City, Missouri
- Gorat's - Omaha, Nebraska
- The Hitching Post - California
- Jess & Jim's Steakhouse - Kansas City, Missouri
- Keens Steakhouse - New York City
- Ken's Steak House - Framingham, Massachusetts
- Mitchell's Steakhouse - Columbus, Ohio
- Manny's Steakhouse Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Moishes Steakhouse - Montreal, Quebec, Canada
- Peter Luger Steak House - New York City
- The Pine Club - Dayton, Ohio
- Porter House New York - New York City
- RingSide Steakhouse - Portland, Oregon
- Sparks Steak House - New York City
- Steak 38 - Cherry Hill, New Jersey
- Timber Lodge Steakhouse - Minnesota
- The Willo Steakhouse - California
Chain restaurant steakhouses
- Black Angus Steakhouse
- Bonanza Steakhouse
- The Capital Grille
- Charlie Brown's Steakhouse
- Claim Jumper
- Del Frisco's Double Eagle Steak House
- Doe's Eat Place
- Fleming's Prime Steakhouse & Wine Bar
- Fogo de Chão
- Harry Caray's Italian Steakhouse
- Hoss's Steak and Sea House
- Houston's Restaurant
- K-Bob's Steakhouse
- The Keg
- Logan's Roadhouse
- Lone Star Steakhouse & Saloon
- LongHorn Steakhouse
- Montana Mike's
- Mr. Steak
- Outback Steakhouse
- The Palm
- Ponderosa Steakhouse
- Quaker Steak & Lube
- Rustler Steak House
- Ruth's Chris Steak House
- Saltgrass Steak House
- Shula's Steak House
- Sirloin Stockade
- Smith & Wollensky
- Steak and Ale Restaurant
- Stoney River Legendary Steaks
- Strip House
- Tahoe Joe's
- Texas de Brazil
- Texas Land and Cattle
- Texas Roadhouse
- Texas Steakhouse & Saloon
- Timber Lodge Steakhouse
- Valle's Steak House
- Western Sizzlin'
- Wolfgang's Steakhouse
- York Steak House
Outside North America
- Berni Inn (defunct) - United Kingdom
- Block House - Germany
- Buffalo Grill - France
- L'Entrecôte - France
- El Gaucho - Israel
- A Hereford Beefstouw - Scandinavia
- Hog's Breath Cafe - Australia
- Maredo - Germany
- Papagaio - Israel
- Ribera Steakhouse
- Relais de l'Entrecôte - France
- Relais de Venise - London, Bahrain, and New York City
L'Entrecôte Saint-Germain in Paris's 6th arrondissement
- Alan Davidson, Oxford Companion to Food, s.v. 'chop'
- "The chop house tradition". The Artful Diner. Archived from the original on November 11, 2013.
- Betty Fussell, Raising steaks: the life and times of American beef
- "10 Greatest Steakhouses". Men's Journal. Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- Raddatz, Kate. "Manny's Steakhouse Named One Of The World's Best". Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- "Raising the Steaks". Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- "Manny's selling long-aged ribeyes for a dollar a day". Minneapolis/St. Paul Business Journal.
- Levine, Ken (27 September 2011). "By Ken Levine: "The Bludgeon of Beef"". Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- Hutton, Rachel. "Bludgeon(of Beef)ed to death - City Pages". City Pages. Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- "Manny's Steakhouse". Mpls.St.Paul Magazine. Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- "Manny's Steakhouse". Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- Inc., M. Shanken Communications,. "Manny's Steakhouse, Minneapolis - The Good Life". Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- "Day 259: Manny's Steakhouse - 365 Twin Cities". 23 January 2011. Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- "Manny's named among top steakhouses in the world". Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- Guy, Lux Travel. "Manny’s Steakhouse – Minneapolis, Minnesota – January 2015 - Lux Travel Guy". aarongagnonproblems.com. Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- "Restaurant Marketing: Manny's Steakhouse - Supervox Agency". Supervox Agency. Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- "My Dinner at Manny's - The Heavy Table". 14 May 2009. Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- "Restaurant Spotlight: Manny's Steakhouse". www.minneapolisrealestate.com. Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- Agatston, Arthur (27 December 2005). "The South Beach Diet Dining Guide: Your Reference Guide to Restaurants Across America". Rodale. Retrieved 4 May 2017 – via Google Books.