A studio apartment, also known as a studio flat (UK), a self-contained apartment (Nigeria), efficiency apartment, bed-sitter (Kenya) or bachelor apartment, is a small apartment which combines living room, bedroom, and kitchen into a single room.
These kinds of apartments typically consist of one large room which serves as the living, dining, and bedroom. Kitchen facilities may either be located in the central room, or in a small separate room, and the bathroom is usually in its own smaller room.
The studio apartment is an apartment with a single room. They are also known as single-room dwelling places or studio flats. There are several types available; the straight studio is very basic, while the alcove studio has a wing. The wing or nook is off the main area, which can be utilized for dining or sleeping.
Studio apartment sizes vary considerably. In the United States, the average size is 500 to 600 sq ft (46-56 square meters).
- An studio apartment is called "monoambiente" (In Spanish, "Mono" is one and "ambiente" is room).
- A studio apartment is called quitinete (from kitchenette). It is basically composed of one room, one bathroom, and a kitchen, which is often in the same space as the room. Lately, newly built quitinetes are starting to be called "studios", for the modern appeal English as a foreign language has.
- Bachelor apartment, or simply "bachelor," is the common term in English Canada for any single room dwelling unit which is not a shared accommodation. A shared room, or particularly small bachelor, is sometimes referred to as a "bachelorette." Residents of the province of Quebec (most in French) widely use the term "studio" or "one and a half".
- Czech Republic
- Garsoniéra (from French "garçon", meaning boy) is one room apartment with separate bathroom and WC, abbreviated as 1+0, sometimes it is 1 room with separate bathroom and WC and kitchenette, abbreviated 1+KK.
- In Germany, studio apartments are called Einzimmerwohnungen ("Ein" means one, "Zimmer" means room, and "Wohnung" means apartment).
- Hong Kong
- Mini apartment around 10 square metres (110 sq ft) in addition of bathroom and kitchen can cost up to 20 thousand USD. The size of the living area could be just around a car park size.(in Chinese)
- Studio apartments in general are called one room kitchen (1RK) apartment featuring a hall with a bedroom with a bathroom and attached kitchenette to the hall mostly used by one or two people or a small family ranging from 200 to 450 square feet (19 to 42 m2).
- Italians call them "monolocale", meaning "one room". There is only one room with a kitchenette, and a separate bathroom.
- Studio apartments are commonly referred to as quads; and are a common feature in Eastern Kingston. They generally consist of one main room, acting as the living room, dining room and bedroom. The kitchen exist within the same room, with partitioning wall. The bathroom is in a smaller room, by itself. These studio apartments generally come adequate yard space and washing facilities (on the outdoors). They have a bed, a stove and a TV too.
- Japan has an even smaller variation of the studio apartment known as the one room mansion.
- Known as a bed-sitter.
- Garsonjera (Гарсоњера) derived from the French "garçonnière". Normally a one room plus separate bathroom, sometimes with a very small, separate kitchen.
- New Zealand
- Known as studio rooms in New Zealand, they frequently feature a bedroom with study area and an en-suite bathroom. Spaces such as kitchen, lounge and dining area are communal between other people staying in that apartment.
- In Nigeria, Studio apartments are known as "room self-contain apartments". These apartments typically have a single room; which serves as the living room and bedroom, a kitchen, a bathroom and a toilet (which is often merged with the bathroom). This form of housing is quite different from microapartments, which are normally built facing each other, and with shared toilet(s), bathroom(s) and kitchen space.
- Studio apartments in Norway are called "1-romsleilighet", "one-room-apartment" in English, because they count both the living room and the bedrooms. Hence an apartment with one bedroom is called a "two-room-apartment" (2-romsleilighet).
- Studio apartments are designated T0 (T-Zero). This designation follows the Portuguese house classification system, where apartments are classified by their typology as Tx, with the "x" representing the number of independent bedrooms. In the case of the T0, the "0" means that the apartment has no independent bedrooms.
- Studio apartments are called "kawalerka" ( from the word "kawaler" – a bachelor ).
- A studio apartment in Romania is known as "garsonieră", a word derived from the French "garçonnière". They are usually one room plus a separate bathroom, sometimes with a small, separate kitchen.
- Studio apartments, in the context of Singapore's public housing, are flats that are specifically built by the Housing and Development Board to cater to the growing senior citizen population. One must be at least 55 years old to purchase studio apartments. Since August 2015, the scheme was replaced by 2-room Flexi flats, which gives seniors the flexibility to select a lease period that suits them best.
- Garzónka (from French "garçon", meaning boy) is one room apartment where living room and kitchenette is combined into this one room. Bathroom and toilette is separated. If the kitchen is separated by a wall or doors it is called 1+ 1.
- South Korea
- Studio apartments in Korea are called Officetel or One room.
- United Kingdom
- In British usage, a studio flat is a single room with cooking facilities which has its own bathroom attached. Traditionally, if a dwelling has a shared bathroom, it is known as a bedsit. This distinction is encountered less frequently, as are bedsits themselves (especially in large cities) due to the consequences of the Housing Act 1989 discouraging landlords from offering this once widespread type of accommodation.
- United States
- A variation common in New York City is the "L-shaped" or "alcove" studio, in which the central room branches off into a small alcove that can be used for sleeping or dining.
- "The Difference Between a Mini Flat and Self Contained Explained". Property Center.
- "Size of a Studio Apartment | Dimensions Info". www.dimensionsinfo.com. Archived from the original on 2017-07-08. Retrieved 2016-09-06.
- "迷你71呎開放式單位= 1個標準車位 點放傢俬好？". Hong Kong Economic Times. 2016-08-22. Retrieved 2016-12-26.
- "1 BHK Flats in Pune: A Comparison of Good Residential Projects". 1 BHK Flat in Pune. Retrieved 2016-09-06.
- "Real Estate Terminology Guide Lagos Nigeria – Real Estate Terms". Nigeria Real Estate Investing Guide. Retrieved 16 March 2015.
- Newswatch. 14. Newswatch Communications Ltd. 1991. p. 10.
- "Studio apartment scheme supports seniors' retirement needs, says Khaw". TODAYonline. Retrieved 2018-09-11.
- "2-Room Flexi Flat". Housing & Development Board. Retrieved 2016-12-26.