Subdivisions of Guinea
- Maritime Guinea (La Guinée Maritime) covers 18% of the country
- Middle Guinea (La Moyenne-Guinée) covers 20% of the country
- Upper Guinea (La Haute-Guinée) covers 38% of the country
- Forested Guinea (Guinée Forestière) covers 23% of the country, and is both forested and mountainous
Guinea is divided into seven administrative regions. The national capital, Conakry, ranks as a special zone.
- The capital Conakry with a population of 2,782,630 ranks as a special zone
Guineas regions are subdivided into thirty-three prefectures.
The Communes of Guinea or sub prefectures, known in French as sous-prefectures, are the third-level administrative divisions in Guinea. As of 2009 there were 303 rural communes of Guinea and 38 urban communes, 5 of which compose the Conakry greater urban area.