Surfin' (Kid Cudi song)
|Single by Kid Cudi featuring Pharrell Williams|
|from the album Passion, Pain & Demon Slayin'|
|Released||September 30, 2016|
|Kid Cudi singles chronology|
|Pharrell Williams singles chronology|
"Surfin'" is a song by American rapper Kid Cudi. It was released on September 30, 2016, as the lead single from his sixth studio album, Passion, Pain & Demon Slayin'. The music was written and produced by Pharrell Williams, while the lyrics were handled by Kid Cudi.
Release and composition
The song was released alongside "Frequency", for digital download as dual singles on September 30, 2016. "Surfin'" runs for a duration of three minutes and fifty-eight seconds. The album version of the song runs for a length of six minutes and fifteen seconds. Vulture.com called Pharrell's production "sunny, upbeat electronic brass". The song bears elements of African drums, with a styling of sea shanties.
The music video for the song, directed by Cudi himself, premiered on October 31, 2016, via his Vevo. The video features cameo appearances from Jaden Smith, Willow Smith, King Chip, A$AP Nast and A$AP Rocky, among others.
In other media
In 2017, "Surfin'" was featured in a television advertisement issued by Adidas. The song was also featured in season three of HBO's series Ballers. It was also featured in the 2017 video games NBA Live Mobile and NBA Live 18 The One. The song was also featured in the TV series Inhumans.
- "Surfin' - Single by Kid Cudi". iTunes. Retrieved November 7, 2016.
- "Kid Cudi Couldn't Release His Album in Time, So Please Enjoy 'Surfin Featuring Pharrell Williams".
- Times, Music (1 November 2016). "Kid Cudi Dances With A$AP Rocky, Pharrell, Jaden Smith & More In Trippy 'Surfin' Video".
- "Watch Kid Cudi Jam Out With His Crew in New "Surfin'" Video f/ Pharrell".
- "Kid Cudi – "Surfin'" Video (Feat. Jaden Smith, Willow Smith, & A$AP Rocky)". 31 October 2016.
- |"Ballers Season 3 Soundtrack". Cassius Life. Retrieved October 1, 2017.
- "Australian-charts.com – Kid Cudi feat. Pharrell Williams – Surfin'". ARIA Top 50 Singles.