Swimming at the 2000 Summer Olympics – Women's 200 metre individual medley
|Women's 200 metre individual medley
at the Games of the XXVII Olympiad
|Venue||Sydney International Aquatic Centre|
|Date||September 18, 2000 (heats &
September 19, 2000 (final)
|Competitors||36 from 28 nations|
|Winning time||2:10.68 OR|
|Swimming events at the
2000 Summer Olympics
Yana Klochkova, Ukraine's swimming pride and three-time European champion, became the fourth swimmer in Olympic history to strike a medley double, since Claudia Kolb did so in 1968, Tracy Caulkins in 1984, and Michelle Smith in 1996. Leading from start to finish, she established a sterling time of 2:10.68 to cut off Lin Li's eight-year Olympic record by a comfortable margin of 0.95 seconds. Romania's Beatrice Câșlaru, who shared the European title with Klochkova in the event, raced to silver with a national record of 2:12.57 on the rear of a dominant breaststroke leg. Meanwhile, U.S. swimmer Cristina Teuscher took home the bronze in 2:13.32 to touch out Canada's Marianne Limpert (2:13.44) by 12-hundredths of a second.
Limpert was followed in fifth by her teammate Joanne Malar (2:13.70) and in sixth by Russia's Oxana Verevka (2:13.88). Previously competed for Brazil in Atlanta four years earlier, Gabrielle Rose finished seventh in 2:14.82, while Japan's Tomoko Hagiwara rounded out the field with an eighth-place time of 2:15.64.
Notable swimmers missed out the top 8 final, featuring China's Chen Yan, who recorded the second fastest time ever in the event's history but faded badly to place ninth (2:15.27); and Australia's home favorite Elli Overton, who finished her semifinal run with an eleventh-place effort (2:15.74).
Prior to this competition, the existing world and Olympic records were as follows.
|World record||Wu Yanyan (CHN)||2:09.72||Shanghai, China||17 October 1997|
|Olympic record||Lin Li (CHN)||2:11.65||Barcelona, Spain||30 July 1992|
The following new world and Olympic records were set during this competition.
|19 September||Final||Yana Klochkova||Ukraine||2:10.68||OR|
|4||6||Gabrielle Rose||United States||2:14.40||Q|
|2||3||Cristina Teuscher||United States||2:13.47||Q|
|6||7||Sue Rolph||Great Britain||2:15.98|
|3||Cristina Teuscher||United States||2:13.32|
|7||1||Gabrielle Rose||United States||2:14.82|
* Also a European and a Ukrainian record.
- "Swimming schedule". Australian Broadcasting Corporation. 14 September 2000. Retrieved 14 May 2013.
- "Klochkova completes golden double". BBC Sport. 19 September 2000. Retrieved 15 June 2013.
- Fitzpatrick, Franz (19 September 2000). "U.S.' Malchow Beats Odds To Grab Gold". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 23 June 2013.
- "Aussies rule relays". Sports Illustrated. CNN. 20 September 2000. Retrieved 15 June 2013.
- "Malchow sets Olympic record in 200 fly". ESPN. 19 September 2000. Retrieved 22 June 2013.
- Whitten, Phillip (19 September 2000). "Olympic Day 4 Finals". Swimming World Magazine. Retrieved 8 June 2013.
- Whitten, Phillip (18 September 2000). "Olympic Day 3 Finals (100 Breast, 100 Back M, 100 Back W, 200 Free)". Swimming World Magazine. Retrieved 23 May 2013.
- "Sydney 2000: Swimming – Women's 200m Individual Medley Heats" (PDF). Sydney 2000. LA84 Foundation. pp. 326–327. Retrieved 23 June 2013.