- The following discussion is an archived discussion of a requested move. Please do not modify it. Subsequent comments should be made in a new section on the talk page. Editors desiring to contest the closing decision should consider a move review. No further edits should be made to this section.
The result of the move request was: moved. Jenks24 (talk) 09:25, 7 October 2012 (UTC)
Air Data Inertial Reference Unit → Air data inertial reference unit –
It's just a piece of equipment, generic. Per WP:MOSCAPS ("Wikipedia avoids unnecessary capitalization") and WP:TITLE, this is a generic, common term, not a propriety or commercial term, so the article title should be downcased. In addition, WP:MOSCAPS says that a compound item should not be upper-cased just because it is abbreviated with caps. Lowercase will match the formatting of related article titles. Relisted. Jenks24 (talk) 10:05, 11 September 2012 (UTC) Tony (talk) 01:52, 30 August 2012 (UTC)
- I think it is all right capitalised as that is the common name for a physical piece of equipment and it would just look wrong to readers in lower case. MilborneOne (talk) 11:33, 9 September 2012 (UTC)
- Milborne, it is generic, though, isn't it? The article text says it's used on "various" aircraft, miliatry and civilian, from the A320 to the Boeing 777. And there are three of them that make up a "system". Doesn't seem to be the patented product of a particular company (is it?). Methinks it's been capped just because there's an acronym. No less than IEEE doesn't cap it, for example, here. More here. Sure, a lot of web pages do, but the fact that key ones don't says something, and we haven't even got to books yet (which tend to cap less). Tony (talk) 14:12, 9 September 2012 (UTC)
- Support – plenty of books and scholarly papers use lower case. The upper case is common in introducing the acronym, but it is not WP style to do that. Dicklyon (talk) 03:27, 13 September 2012 (UTC)
- Contrarian support. I can understand how we got a capitalised title, since the acronym is so common... hey, wait a minute... doesn't that mean ADIRU is the commonname? bobrayner (talk) 14:53, 23 September 2012 (UTC)
- The above discussion is preserved as an archive of a requested move. Please do not modify it. Subsequent comments should be made in a new section on this talk page or in a move review. No further edits should be made to this section.