|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the Assamese people article.
This is not a forum for general discussion of the article's subject.
|This article is written in Indian English (colour, travelled, centre, analysed, defence), and some terms used in it may be different or absent from other varieties of English. According to the relevant style guide, this should not be changed without broad consensus.|
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
Multi ethnic multi linguistic people of Assam
I read a Time article regarding the India-Bangladesh border and it used the term "ethnic Assamese" as distinct from Bodos and Bengalis. Are the Assamese an ethnic group? Saimdusan Talk|Contribs 09:44, 4 March 2009 (UTC)
- The Assamese is not an ethnic group. Many ethnic groups comprise the Assamese people. Chaipau (talk) 21:47, 10 March 2009 (UTC)
Regarding the response you made on my userpage:
I appreciate your enthusiasm on editing these pages, but what you are trying to insert are simplistic caricatures of a complex situation, that began more than 100 years ago. Instead of clarifying the situation in NPOV fashion, you are inadvertently feeding into these caricatures. There are many mistakes you have made. The government at Delhi has not been able to clearly define the Assamese people (this is related to who the Assamese people are who will benefit from the provisions of the Assam Accord). So that definition is a legal definition, not necessarily a sociological one. The Assamese themselves are made up of many communities. This has been stated clearly in Saikia's book. Yet you choose to ignore it. The BJP is not against the Bengalis---and btw, the BJP is very strong in the Barak Valley. They are against the muslims. If you take the position of the AASU, the organisation that spearheaded the Assam movement, then the Assamese people are against the influx of bangladeshis (actually all foreigners), irrespective of religion or language. I have no choice but to delete most of what you have written because I cannot edit and correct then piecemeal. They are inherently wrong.— Chaipau
Chaipau, I am not trying to simplify this complex situation, I am simply adding the information that I found in the "Fragmented Memories" source. You are welcome to add more sources that clarify the situation further. I do not choose to ignore that the Assamese people are made up of many communities - add this information and improve the article!
Of course the BJP is not against the Bengalis, my edit clearly says "the expulsion of Bengali Muslims". Perhaps it should be changed to "Bengali Muslim immigrants from Bangladesh".
Do you have a source that says that the government in Delhi is having trouble defining the Assamese people? Fragmented Memories claims that they have defined ethnic Assamese to mean "the Assamese-speaking community of the Brahmaputra valley". I would love to see a source that backs up your claim, then we can add it to the article.
You seem to have some resentment towards my edits, have I offended you in some way? If not, I apologize for suggesting it. I find your tone somewhat aggressive, due to "I have no choice but to delete most of what you have written because I cannot edit and correct then piecemeal. They are inherently wrong." They are not "inherently wrong", even you only have a problem with the specifics of the information and how it is worded. Saimdusan Talk|Contribs 01:49, 11 March 2009 (UTC)
- As I mentioned, I welcome your enthusiasm. But it is frustrating when a single controversial source is cited and the editors are left to clean up afterwards.
- The problem with defining Assamese people is stated and referenced in the article itself. You just have to read them. There are two newspaper reports referenced there.
- Stating simply that the BJP is against "Bengali Muslim immigrants from Bangladesh" is almost a truism. But it is not the BJP that articulates the anti-immigrant position. It is the AASU, as I mentioned earlier. There is a difference in the BJP and AASU positions on this.
I agree with Chaipau, the term "Ethnic Assamese" is really meaningless. If it is defined as "Assamese-speaking ethnic group of Assam", then Tai-Ahom also falls within that group as they speak Assamese as their Mother Tongue. I would love to see some original references published by GOI where it is defined, if is really so. Bikram98 (talk) 08:48, 12 April 2009 (UTC)
Even though Chaipau is right, there are many misconceptions within the Assamese community too. For instance, the people of Lower Assam think that the entire Upper Assam consists of tribal population which is entirely untrue. One look at the history of Assam can tell that the region has always been a part of Kamrupa or Pragjyotishpura. Even before the arrival of Ahoms, the Hindu community of Sutiyas formed the majority in Upper Assam and built many Hindu temples during that time. Even the accepted form of Assamese language was developed by intermixing Prakrit and Sutiya languages. Qwertywander1 (talk) 10:25, 5 August 2017 (UTC)
what is the estimated population of this group or possibly the most recent census numbers im trying to get a idea in my head of how many of these people there are. 220.127.116.11 (talk) 06:21, 13 December 2010 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 4 external links on Assamese people. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20160609213014/http://www.ciil-lisindia.net/Assamese/Assa_demo.html to http://www.ciil-lisindia.net/Assamese/Assa_demo.html
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20070529093954/http://www.assamtribune.com:80/scripts/details.asp?id=mar2807/at01 to http://www.assamtribune.com/scripts/details.asp?id=mar2807/at01
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20070529093319/http://www.assamtribune.com:80/scripts/details.asp?id=mar3107/at04 to http://www.assamtribune.com/scripts/details.asp?id=mar3107/at04
- Corrected formatting/usage for http://www.assamtribune.com/scripts/details.asp?id=apr0107/at03
When you have finished reviewing my changes, please set the checked parameter below to true or failed to let others know (documentation at
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.