||This article must adhere to the biographies of living persons (BLP) policy, even if it is not a biography, because it contains material about living persons. Contentious material about living persons that is unsourced or poorly sourced must be removed immediately from the article and its talk page, especially if potentially libellous. If such material is repeatedly inserted, or if you have other concerns, please report the issue to this noticeboard.
If you are a subject of this article, or acting on behalf of one, and you need help, please see this help page.
- The following discussion is an archived discussion of the proposal. Please do not modify it. Subsequent comments should be made in a new section on the talk page. No further edits should be made to this section.
The result of the proposal was Move. —Wknight94 (talk) 16:17, 16 February 2008 (UTC)
Cláudio Ibrahim Vaz Leal → Branco (footballer) — He is far more widely known by this name; renaming the article would make it far easier to find and identify in categories. —ArtVandelay13 (talk) 13:26, 31 January 2008 (UTC)
- Feel free to state your position on the renaming proposal by beginning a new line in this section with
*'''Oppose''', then sign your comment with
~~~~. Since polling is not a substitute for discussion, please explain your reasons, taking into account Wikipedia's naming conventions.
- I Disagree, this is an ecyclopedia so we try to use the proper names everytime. Also you said it would be easier to find the article by typing "Braco"... That's why we have the redirections ;)Zisimos (talk) 15:07, 31 January 2008 (UTC)
- Well, we don't list Pele or Bob Dylan or John Wayne by their real names - it's arguably more encyclopaedic to use their 'common' names. ArtVandelay13 (talk) 15:47, 31 January 2008 (UTC)
- Oppose some less famous (not a Brazilian internationals) professional player also use Branco as artist name. Matthew_hk tc 09:14, 3 February 2008 (UTC)
- Actually, I now support such a move - I feel that a player's page should match whatever they are known as in the sport. GiantSnowman (talk) 17:33, 11 February 2008 (UTC)
- Support. This Branco is by far the most famous footballer of all Brancos. Ronaldo and Ronaldinho are much more common nicknames than Branco, but the articles about the most famous of them are at 'Ronaldo' and 'Ronaldinho' with links to disambig pages. I think this is the best solution in this case too. Who is going to find 'Cláudio Ibrahim Vaz Leal' in Category:Brazilian footballers if you're looking for 'Branco'? Sebisthlm (talk) 15:44, 8 February 2008 (UTC)
- Support Branco appears to be more common name, therefore should be used, keep the full name as a redirect. John Hayestalk 17:35, 11 February 2008 (UTC)
- Support: use common names, except for the....exceptions! --necronudist (talk) 18:12, 11 February 2008 (UTC)
- Support. He is usually known as Branco. --Carioca (talk) 19:39, 11 February 2008 (UTC)
- Support. I actually think the "football names" of Brazilian (or Portuguese etc.) players should always be included in the title, e.g. something like "Dida (Nélson de Jesus Silva)", but that's discussions for another day. Chanheigeorge (talk) 23:30, 11 February 2008 (UTC)
- Any additional comments:
- I guess we should move the page based on the survey? Chanheigeorge (talk) 01:13, 16 February 2008 (UTC)
- The above discussion is preserved as an archive of the proposal. Please do not modify it. Subsequent comments should be made in a new section on this talk page. No further edits should be made to this section.