|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the Domino Harvey article.
This is not a forum for general discussion of the article's subject.
|WikiProject Women||(Rated Start-class)|
|WikiProject Biography||(Rated Start-class)|
Did Domino Harvey ever work as a fashion model?
The LA Times article says:
- A mythology grew up that like her mother, Domino was a model and that, unlike her mother, she had turned her back on the glamour of the runway for a fringe existence. But according to several family members and friends, Harvey never worked as a model.
What happened was that Domino told a member of the media that she was a Ford model. But I don't really think she ever clarified the issue. She may have made that claim when she was not well known and blew it off as a small lie. I find it deceitful though that she did not clear this issue up. But what do you expect from a thief, drug addict, and someone with emotional problems.--e aug. 29 2005
The Guardian says:
- After school she DJed, designed and sold T-shirts in Kensington market while living in Notting Hill. But Harvey, who had inherited her parents' good looks, was also apparently tempted by the usual range of activities open to the privileged beautiful: modelling (represented by the Ford agency, so she told reporters); acting classes at the Lee Strasberg Studio. Once managed by Jo Miller, Sienna Miller's mother, it closed in 1996.
- But no one who was there remembers her attending a single class, not even Don Fellows, an actor who taught at the Studio from the beginning and knew Laurence Harvey slightly, so would have registered her presence. At Ford, too, no one has any recollection of a Domino Harvey. "I know the name, and I can vaguely see a face," says Patricia Lagrange, head booker at Ford Models Europe, who then changes her mind and says she doesn't remember her at all. Patty Sicular, who has worked for the company since 1980, doesn't recall her either.
Is there any evidence (other than her own assertion) that she ever worked as a model?
- Thanks for doing that research. I guess I jumped the gun in saying it was an urban legend. I hadn't realized that she herself had claimed she was originally a fashion model. Maybe we should rewrite that part to reflect the complexity of that issue. hitssquad 02:23, 13 August 2005 (UTC)
The date on this picture looks wrong. According to this, the picture dates from 1994: http://www.keiraweb.com/vlifedh.jpg
- I think you're right. The date should be 1994.hitssquad 03:57, 24 August 2005 (UTC)
- On the audio commentary on the DVD of Domino, director Tony Scott states that Domino worked as a model for the Elite model agency in America. Count de Ville 20:57, 23 February 2007 (UTC)
- Could someone please give an external reference to the suicide-motive speculation? A Kooky points out, we editors can't include our own speculations. However, we might point out some other party speculating if it seems widely acknowledged to be reasonable speculation. -hitssquad 21:53, 29 August 2005 (UTC)
I don't think this is speculation. The Guardian article states that Domino "drowned after a drug overdose." There is also a lot of evidence that she was still on drugs at the time. This includes the fact that she hired "minders" to live with her to make sure she kept off drugs. So it is likely she was having problems not using. There were also many reports that her behavior was similar to someone who was about to use drugs - including calling people and talking about her problems, not liking herself, tired of life. Reports state that she entered the bathroom and 7 minutes later was found dead in the bathtub. I know it is common from those suffering from an od to want to take a bath, douse themselves with cold water, or behave strangly in general. Also, if a person used for a while then abruptly quits the next time they use the chance that it will be an overdose is that much higher. This is because the person uses the amount they would use at the height of their addiction, and for a person who has not used for a while or stopped it would be too much. She likely did not use the "scaling technique" most relapse drug users use. Sounds a lot like what happened here and in most cases someone who is 35 does not just die like thatl espcially if they have no family history of early death etc etc. --e aug. 29 2005
- 184.108.40.206 wrote: There were also many reports that her behavior was similar to someone who was about to use drugs 1) Wiki article do not include original research, and 2) we are talking about attribution of motive by Wiki editors not being NPOV, not whether or not she died of a drug overdose. The sentence in question reads One would think that having a loosely based biography, pending jail time, and media pressures gave her that much more reason to kill herself. There is nothing about a drug overdose in that sentence. --hitssquad 04:52, 30 August 2005 (UTC)
Correction: Origin of name Domino
In "I am a Bounty Hunter, Domino Harvey's Life" (found as a special feature on the Domino (2005) DVD), Harvey's mother, Paulene Stone, claimed that she came up with the name Domino from another model turned actress, Dominique Sanda.
So why bother mentioning other ideas ? -- Beardo 07:11, 18 June 2006 (UTC)
Actual Cause of Death?
Domino was accidental overdose.
Filled with unsourced info
Like the article on the movie Domino, extremely loosely based on her life, this bio article is filled with unsourced info.
PainMan 07:42, 3 November 2006 (UTC)
Not exactly as it's all in her obituary so "limited" sources is more accurate. Wayne 20:02, 28 February 2007 (UTC)
Link to tall women article?
Why? Domino is not listed there. Is this a joke or reference to her "tall tales"? Either way remove it —The preceding unsigned comment was added by Bigwikimon5000 (talk • contribs) 09:44, 26 March 2007 (UTC).
- Yes, I saw the link, and then wondered how tall she was....
- ~ender 2007-04-04 13:50:PM MST —The preceding unsigned comment was added by 220.127.116.11 (talk) 20:47, 4 April 2007 (UTC).
Fair use rationale for Image:Harvey-Stone.jpg
Image:Harvey-Stone.jpg is being used on this article. I notice the image page specifies that the image is being used under fair use but there is no explanation or rationale as to why its use in this Wikipedia article constitutes fair use. In addition to the boilerplate fair use template, you must also write out on the image description page a specific explanation or rationale for why using this image in each article is consistent with fair use.
Please go to the image description page and edit it to include a fair use rationale. Using one of the templates at Wikipedia:Fair use rationale guideline is an easy way to ensure that your image is in compliance with Wikipedia policy, but remember that you must complete the template. Do not simply insert a blank template on an image page.
If there is other fair use media, consider checking that you have specified the fair use rationale on the other images used on this page. Note that any fair use images lacking such an explanation can be deleted one week after being tagged, as described on criteria for speedy deletion. If you have any questions please ask them at the Media copyright questions page. Thank you.
After reading the many articles on Ms. Harvey's birth, life and then how it was reported that she died, I was taken back and sadden by what I read. I guess you can call me a softy at heart, but the reading led me to think that she was a troubled person. Not sure where that could have come from, but being the daughter of a popular model (I never heard of her mother) and a "now deceased", reported gay father, I am sure it had some affect on her during her up-bringing. Whether Domino actually did the things written and what the movie portrayed I don't know, but it appeared that she was a very,very interesting woman.
In some sense her life parallel's that of my adopted son's mother (minus the model and bounty hunter part, but include most everything else). I just so happen they would have been the same age had Ms. Domino lived. I guess that is one of the reason why I feel the way I do when reading the articles. Regardless, she now feels no further pain, because man do I know what this world can do to you.
Although I know it wouldn't have happened, I would have loved to have gotten the chance to meet her regardless of whether there would have been anything in common or not. One thing before I end, other than the picture posted (I believer she was about 25 in that pics), are there pics or a pic of her in later years. I would love to see what she looked like; to see how the years of being a bounty hunter had attributed to her physically.
One final note; my son's Mom is now serving 5-10 yrs for aggravated assault with a unlegel weapon.
Thanks for listening...
Why is she listed under the category of English Jews? She may be of Jewish descent on her father's side, but her mother wasn't Jewish so why was she in a Jewish faith. Well she can be in a Jewish faith because you never know if the mother would like Domino to be in the Jewish faith just like her father?