|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
|This page was nominated for deletion on 17 February 2006. The result of the discussion was Keep.|
See also discussion here while article was protected in February 2006.
|Threads older than 3 months may be archived by.|
Shouldn't the article title be "kawaisa"?
- I guess most western readers would know it under the form "kawaii". After all, we're supposed to be catering towards the majority of English-speaking readers. Many things on Wikipedia aren't "technically correct", but we write things in such a way anyway, for the sake of familiarity for readers. --benlisquareT•C•E 13:11, 10 May 2014 (UTC)
- WP:COMMONNAME and note that the corresponding Japanese article is also under "Kawaii": ja:可愛い. Siawase (talk) 13:42, 10 May 2014 (UTC)
Cute writing in the west
A similar phenomenon existed in the West at least 50 years ago when I was a child myself: converting letters into images by a few strokes, e.g., turning letters 'o' into smiling faces. Does anybody know any sources (or where to look for them) for a wikipedia article about this?
What is more, ages in the past, in manuscripts early bookprinting there was a tradition of fanciful adornment of the initial letter of a chapter, section, or a paragraph. (see e.g. 'illuminated manuscritpt').
So I guess, there is a room for a more general article about the universal tendency for the adornment of writing. Any takes? -M.Altenmann >t 18:16, 28 November 2014 (UTC)
Suggestion for Lead Paragraph
For those of us who don't read or speak Japanese, can we get the westernized spellings and/or pronunciations of the characters in the lead? ie
- 顔映し, which literally means a "radiant face", but more commonly referred to the blushing of an embarrassed person. Over time, the meaning changed into the modern meaning of "cute", and the pronunciation changed to かわゆい and then to the modern かわいい. It is most commonly written in hiragana, かわいい, but the ateji, 可愛い (Bold added by me to emphasize explanations needed)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 2 external links on Kawaii. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20131024003154/http://ajw.asahi.com/article/cool_japan/culture/AJ201208290008 to http://ajw.asahi.com/article/cool_japan/culture/aj201208290008
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20130721100514/http://tokyokawaiietc.com/archives/9397 to http://tokyokawaiietc.com/archives/9397
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.