Talk:Lizzie Lloyd King
|WikiProject Biography||(Rated Start-class)|
|WikiProject Criminal Biography||(Rated Start-class, Low-importance)|
|A fact from Lizzie Lloyd King appeared on Wikipedia's Main Page in the Did you know? column on 17 May 2009 (check views). The text of the entry was as follows: "Did you know||
I didn't know anyone even used that term any more. Even actresses are now called actors, though most roles call specifically for a male or a female. The term "murderess" gives us no more information about the person's activity than "murderer" does and may be less comprehensible to people for whom English is a second language.Peter Chastain (talk) 02:19, 18 May 2009 (UTC)
- I'm indifferent to changing this. I guess all the time I've spent reading the New York Times articles from the 1870s has affected some of the diction I've chosen in writing the article. The article probably needs to be updated to reflect the current usage for terms such as "insane asylum" etc. too. (However, I'm no fan of the general trend of neutering the language, and I don't think non-English speakers would find it difficult to comprehend - most languages have gender pronouns and nouns, moreso than English ever has.) Mindmatrix 03:01, 18 May 2009 (UTC)
- I have already changed it. Apologies for jumping the gun. (I have seen too many discussion pages where nobody responds for a week or five.) I added a link to murderer, which redirects to [[Murder], where I added a possibly unnecessary explanation that murderers are people who murder, along with a link to this usage note regarding -ess. I sometimes find gender-neutral terms jarring (e.g., a female actor), but here I think that the gender-specific term offends more people than does the commonplace usage of murderer for both men and women. As an aside, I am not at all sorry to see negress pass into oblivion. Peter Chastain (talk) 03:20, 18 May 2009 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified one external link on Lizzie Lloyd King. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20081103091918/http://www.brooklyn.com/streets.html to http://brooklyn.com/streets.html
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.