|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
|A fact from this article was featured on Wikipedia's Main Page in the On this day... section on November 25, 2004, November 25, 2005, November 25, 2006, and November 25, 2014.|
- Patria Mercedes Mirabal
- Feb 27, 1924 - Nov 25, 1960
- Minerva Mirabal
- Mar 12, 1926 - Nov 25, 1960
- María Teresa Mirabal
- Oct 15, 1935 - Nov 25, 1960
I also notice that the youngest sister does not have any "Antonia" in her name.
(Also, the author's name is consistantly spelled Julia Alvarez, without an accent, in the same book.)
Can anyone else verify this? --Astronouth7303 01:22, 5 May 2006 (UTC)
In response to the birth dates offered in Julia Alvare'z novel...
Also according to In the Time of the Butterflies (ISBN 0-452-27442-7) from the First Plume Printing edition from 1995, within the postscript message, Ms. Alvarez states that she took liberties in constructing the lives and events of the Mirabal sisters (p.324). Furthermore, there is a Publisher's Note expressing that Ms. Alvarez's novel is a work of fiction. In the Time of the Butterflies should not be used as a source for the true events and dates pertaining to the story of the Mirabal sisters.
Meeshi323 (talk) 05:01, 21 August 2008 (UTC)
- But is the introduction not a nonfictional work intended to give accurate historical context in which the following fictional work that followed? Toyblocks (talk) 04:50, 18 September 2008 (UTC)
Shouldn't the word in the first paragraph be "resides" (or perhaps even "presides") instead of "precedes", in this sentence:
"She precedes in the sister's natal house and works to preserve her sister's memory through the "Museo Hermanas Mirabal" which is also located in Salcedo and was home to the girls for the final ten months of their lives)."
And that last bracket needs removing.
Rosa Lichtenstein 13:27, 1 December 2007 (UTC)
To say that Trujillo was romantically interested in Minerva is too generous to him. There were some Dominican women even coming from middle and upper class backgrounds who were willing to trade Trujillo sexual for economic and political favors. The Mirabals were not among them. At the time of the assasination Trujillo is rumored to have told some of his circle he could bring one or two Mirabals around to free their husbands from jail. Instead Trujillo was scolded in front of them.
It has been suggested by various political authors that Trujillo was assasinated by Dominicans at the request of the CIA. In fact the Dominicans merely asked if the US would support a new government even if the leaders were among those implicated. The Mirabal assasination and his other atrocities caused sufficient desire on the part of certain Dominicans they wanted to do it themselves. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 22.214.171.124 (talk) 22:06, 25 April 2008 (UTC)
- In fact, Trujillo had met all of the Mirabal sisters personally, and credible evidence given by a prison official to both a Parish Priest who was a constant visitor to the prison and to a Mirabal family member puts Trujillo in the presence of the torture sessions of two of the sisters, he refused to intervien in the Torture, although he was not present during the multiple rapes of the Sisters. The incidents relating to Trujillo being present during torture sessions of not only the Mirabal sisters but of other high profile political prisoners was coraborated by another member of Trujillo's military staff in exile in Miami. These facts were uncovered by the same researchers who identified evidence linking Ford Foundation funds given to a para-military group involved with the secret kidnapings of Political Oponents of Agusto Pinochet, Dictator of Chile and central figure in the Murder of Salvador Allende, researchers and Human Rights Activists, Brian Shepard - Graduate in Economy UC Berkeley and Ramon Sevilla Graduate of Bolt School of Law - UC Berkeley —Preceding unsigned comment added by 126.96.36.199 (talk) 05:38, 24 September 2010 (UTC)
Nature of death
Sound like unreliable conspiracy theorists to me. Although these women are apparently now much revered amongst some politial groups in Dominican Republic, it is odd that there is nothing said about how they died. Could it be because it was in fact an accident, or from a cause that cannot actually be linked to Trujillo? Are they in fact being used by the anti-Trujillo faction? — Preceding unsigned comment added by 188.8.131.52 (talk) 06:18, 30 May 2011 (UTC)
- Whatever the motivation for their absence, the lack of any details of the actual deaths is surprising. Nick Cooper (talk) 10:32, 30 May 2011 (UTC)
The statement that they were "involved in clandestine activities against his regime" reads like a euphemism. If they were collecting guns and bombs I would have thought that terrorists or revolutionaries or even freedom fighters would be a more apt description. They did not just distribute pampletsRoyalcourtier (talk) 19:48, 31 August 2015 (UTC)
The comment(s) below were originally left at several discussions in past years, these subpages are now deprecated. The comments may be irrelevant or outdated; if so, please feel free to remove this section., and are posted here for posterity. Following
|Only one footnote, about the sister who was not murdered.Millichip (talk) 21:49, 27 November 2007 (UTC)|
Last edited at 21:49, 27 November 2007 (UTC). Substituted at 00:10, 30 April 2016 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 2 external links on Mirabal sisters. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20110724232410/http://www.educando.edu.do/Portal.Base/Web/VerContenido.aspx?ID=111147 to http://www.educando.edu.do/Portal.Base/Web/VerContenido.aspx?ID=111147
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20120615140011/http://www.michelle-rodriguez.com/ to http://www.michelle-rodriguez.com/
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.